DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-15-14

MGFanJay

Man, someone needs to amend that Michael Cole BINGO card with the new tile "Cole Endorses New Gimmick...and Kills It Dead."

Was that when he said, Mizdow go take your bump!  Or something equally stupid?

I can't remember what he said exactly, but it was when The New Day came out and Michael Cole went full blast "lame dad" mode about how "It's a NEW DAY, EVERYBODY!" or something along those lines.

But that Mizdow line was pretty awful too.

But hey, at least they didn't kill two minutes during a match talking about The Great Gazoo tonight. That's an improvement, right?

• Like 1

Very enjoyable main event. Cena/Rollins have great chemistry. Really liked their long RAW main event from the end of October too.

Cole endorsing the new gimmicks is always the best. "The New Day is ALL about POSITIVITY! Come on John!" "Adam Rose just loves to have FUN!"

Didn't mind Jericho tonight, thought he was used okay. Looking forward to the Hulkster's Christmas Special next week.

• Like 1

Heyman was on fire tonight.

"I'm not a fighter. I'm not even a sports entertainer."

"I think you can beat Paul Heyman. Now change the subject."

And getting out the checkbook. Pure gold.

On a complete other note, did WWE slash the budget for sign-checkers or something? Last night I saw "Hire Russo" and "CM Punk in UFC? That's what's best for business," and tonight we had "Cena: Turn heel you douche".

One thing that has annoyed me over the past few weeks is that sharp cut they do from the lower left side of the ring when guys do a finishing move near the ropes by the ramp or near that corner.

Reigns superpunch was a perfect example. They do a couple of quick cuts and Cole screams SUPERPUNCH but you don't see anything.

When Sting did his splash part of the fun was watching him jump and fly with the move.

They did it a few times tonight and it looks like horrible work from guys in the booth.

The person I was watching wrestling with last night- the two things he complained most about were Bray Wyatt , who he just thinks is bush league, and the camerawork, where he just hates the way WWE does it completely.  He liked the NXT wrestling, but said the camerawork really took him out of it.

It must suck to be standing off camera, knowing that in five seconds you have to figure out what it means to "be New Day" and then do that on camera, whatever it is...and you gotta get all psyched to...do...whatever New Day does, which you sort of vaguely don't know what it is...aaaaandYOU'RE ON GO GO GO!!!!!

And then you hear it...softly from the monitor in the next room:

Michael Cole's voice

saying: They're FUN I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

I LOVE THE NEW DAY!

and you know, man. You know how this goes...

You forgot to mention how the New Day just loves to have fun. And having fun is Vintage New Day.

Am I the only one who finds a happy smiling negro gimmick a little off putting based on what is actually happening in the world?  Seriously, they could have made this a hot gimmick if they would have ran with the we're not taking it any more gimmick they had going earlier in the year.  I don't know if anyone in the WWE has been watching the news, but these three guys being happy for the sake of being happy comes off as hugely out of touch.

• Like 2

Maybe a middle of the road version?  Instead of happy New Day, they could just say they've joined together to reach new heights.  Don't need to be super happy or super pissed, just three really determined guys.  They could be super serious without being angry.

I liked the crowd, but just was bored a lot of the time by Raw.  The Brock stuff was awesome, as was the main event.  And I've never been a Jacobs fan, but he can finally say the Zombie Princess walked down a WWE ramp.  That's pretty cool for him, I was delighted to see him there.  And Scarlett is there so much, might as well sign her.

• Like 1

Jacobs wrestled Eddy on Smackdown a long time ago, so it's happened before...just not in a while.

Scarlett's one of my biggest wrestling-related crushes.  I will say that the less red her hair gets, the sadder I become.

Read that Heidi Lovelace and Taeler Hendrix were among the Rosebuds as well.

At this point I can honestly say I care much more about who the Rosebuds are than Rose by a country mile.  They're the only reason I hope they don't kill this gimmick dead.  Am still curious to know how people find out who the wrestlers are in this each week, though with the mention of Hendrix I remember seeing her now.

Usually people on the indy level will ID their friends in the crowd, or they'll know ahead of time that the people are doing stuff for WWE on the show.

I know Rosita has been a Rosebud on several occasions, so hopefully that means she's on their radar; another of my wrestling-related crushes.

• Like 1

"Angry Black Guys" would have been 10 times more racist. You know they'd have been heels.

They don't need to be angry, but I think they should be heels.  They could have a Phd mouthpiece talking about how they can't get ahead without singing and dancing for the man.  The best villains are the ones that not only believe that they are justified, but everyone else kind of understands that they're justified, despite the fact that they don't want to admit it.  Big E and Kofi could be the perfect foils for the Usos, the dancing babyface tag team.  They should be like the black 4 Horsemen.  Three guys who kick ass, take names, and are taking over whether you like it or not. 

Clearly New Day is an in-joke about the "just turn off your brain and enjoy it" fans while JBL is there to portray the whiny internet fans who are always negative.

I just assumed it was because everyone got excited about Nation 2.0 so they scrapped it and went the complete opposite way with them from a personality standpoint. That said it's pretty dead in the water IMO. Crowd seemed dead during their match. 

Clearly New Day is an in-joke about the "just turn off your brain and enjoy it" fans while JBL is there to portray the whiny internet fans who are always negative.

I just assumed it was because everyone got excited about Nation 2.0 so they scrapped it and went the complete opposite way with them from a personality standpoint. That said it's pretty dead in the water IMO. Crowd seemed dead during their match. 

When was the last time anyone got over for being happy for the sake of being happy?  This is going to turn ugly, pretty quick...like Rocky Maiavia quick. 

I'm hoping that happens.  If they're like this in the hopes they go serious, then it's like the original plan but takes longer to get there.  I'm very much up for that.  There is a chance this eventually catches on also.  They have that happy church-going vibe that people might latch onto.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the meeting where someone went all-in on the idea that Big E doing a "sweaty" gimmick was a gold mine, a mine fulla gold. Bless their hearts, they do try so hard.

Seriously, their TV direction and particularly their announcing gives me less and less of a reason to watch every week... and I've been a fan for 30 years.

• Like 5

Jacobs wrestled Eddy on Smackdown a long time ago, so it's happened before...just not in a while.

Scarlett's one of my biggest wrestling-related crushes. I will say that the less red her hair gets, the sadder I become.

Read that Heidi Lovelace and Taeler Hendrix were among the Rosebuds as well.

Heidi was in the green wig. Whenever WWE television is from anywhere in the Midwest, I scan the Rosebuds for anyone I know personally. It's a fun game :)

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the meeting where someone went all-in on the idea that Big E doing a "sweaty" gimmick was a gold mine, a mine fulla gold. Bless their hearts, they do try so hard..

I hope they take this so far that Big E will be so slippery from all the sweat, that opponents won't be able to grab him.

The New Day also needs to add the Fastball Special to their repertoire. If that doen't get them over nothing will.

My thinking (hoping) what the booking is with the New Day is that they come in happy-go-lucky, "New Day just wants to have fun!" and then if the crowd continues to turn on them/they lose a big match, they start to cheat more and become disingenuous and they continue to preach positivity and stuff while they cheat.  Sort of a 2014-Kurt Angle/Bo Dallas kind of deal.