DVDVR Message Board

Phil "CM Punk" Brooks Signs with the UFC; Will Debut in 2015 at 170 or 185

Elsalvajeloco

He is still going to be CM Punk. That's more of my point. Not that plans have been laid out, but he is not going to be on TV every week unless it's in a analyst capacity. If you put him on PPV people give a shit about, his name will likely get people to buy than a Urijah Faber opening up the main card on PPV.

Again, if the UFC business model was to allow him to completely anchor whole cards, they would be SOL. However, people's fascination is with "stacked" cards (see the Bellator PPV). I think one of the most underrated parts of fight promotion is having those fights that might not have relevance towards rankings but more for casual viewers. For a strong main event and weak undercard, people might instantly think "I might as well stream it" and then randomly start watching the card at any interval. A PPV card with a strong main, a solid to good co-main, and maybe 2-3 fights that actually bring something to the table quality wise or caters to casual fans would make someone sit there for the entire 2 1/2 hours. You can't do anything better than that. So having a CM Punk gives you more leverage to do that and actually get people to pay for your cards.

Serious question that I've never seen anyone address:  Has Punk ever been in a real fight? Any fight? Professional, back alley, socked in the gut by the middle school lockers?

I see a lot of talk of "training," but surely the real thing is a whole different world?

Teddy Hart in TNA.

This Punk media tour hasn't gone that great. He keeps getting annoyed by wrestling questions. OTR particularly basically openly mocked him, and made good points. Punk has nothing scheduled, no team, no anything. What are they suppose to ask him about? Why did they set this tour up now? 

Simply because he has managed to get opportunities to talk about nothing over fighters who actually have something to talk about. If you're not Jon Jones, Ronda, or a few other select people, they're not going to book you. If he isn't fighting until late summer/early fall, it would be best to keep his name out there for as long as possible before he goes back home.

CM Punk has gym options. AKA, ATT, Cesar Gracie, and Tri-Star have all offered to train him. Fighters everywhere want him at their gym so they can kick his ass.

Da Meltz

I'm sure Punk knows he's going to get the green light at some point. Besides, some dudes, like our buddy Brendan Schaub, already know Punk, and while they're not thrilled with the situation, they don't have a problem with Punk.

Yeah, I mean, it's already gonna get a bunch of web hits and views and shit, but imagine the hits it would've gotten if he'd gotten Punk to lose his cool and call him an unclefucker or something. Kinda sad, really. The louder you yell, the more you get heard.

B5MlN_AIYAEPR3E.jpg

Serious question. If Punk has all ready sort of trained with The Gracies (and supposedly he'd be at least a blue belt or something if he had the time before hand for full on training), wouldn't it make sense to just go to their gym? He's not going to win with striking and kicking. His only hope is getting someone on the ground and submitting them.

The end of that was the most desperate and transparent attempt to force something "viral" to happen I've ever seen. 

If you're trying to provoke someone and you get to the last segment and you have to fall back on "You seem like you're really offended by what I'm asking, why?" the absolute hail mary of douche interview moves...and even then the guy is like "Not really, no.  I mean I wish there were a few less wrestling questions, but that's pretty normal"

You are both an asshole and a failure.

• Like 1

Serious question. If Punk has all ready sort of trained with The Gracies (and supposedly he'd be at least a blue belt or something if he had the time before hand for full on training), wouldn't it make sense to just go to their gym? He's not going to win with striking and kicking. His only hope is getting someone on the ground and submitting them.

Lyoto Machida trains with Rener now, but his main gym is Black House in Gardena, CA. You can have that strategy, but you still need to train every aspect of the game. Even if he just wanted to lay and pray, he would need to work on actual takedowns. Therefore, he would still need to work with someone like Kenny Johnson, who is the wrestling coach at Black House. So to even get to that, he will need a striking coach so he can defend on his way into the clinch or change levels effectively. You just don't show up and start shooting takedowns. This ain't 2002. If you don't believe me, watch Lavar Johnson vs. Carl Seumanutafa. All 15 seconds of it.

The end of that was the most desperate and transparent attempt to force something "viral" to happen I've ever seen. 

If you're trying to provoke someone and you get to the last segment and you have to fall back on "You seem like you're really offended by what I'm asking, why?" the absolute hail mary of douche interview moves...and even then the guy is like "Not really, no.  I mean I wish there were a few less wrestling questions, but that's pretty normal"

You are both an asshole and a failure.

That's Landsberg's whole schtick.  So if you go on without knowing that, you really only have yourself to blame.