DVDVR Message Board

Phil "CM Punk" Brooks Signs with the UFC; Will Debut in 2015 at 170 or 185

Elsalvajeloco

Lol at the TUF China comments a few pages back. Makes me feel better about Australia's Seasons. Probably (hopefully) the worst season ever. The coaches actually sat together after the fights and discussed how they went. Really bad season. Honestly couldn't tell you who won and I watched the whole season and finale. Only thing I remember was that they had a guy who wasn't even trained as a fighter fight. Maybe Punk can fight him?

Having had time to digest, I would say regardless of how Punk does, Dana has pulled off a good deal. I haven't watched a UFC show in what seems like forever (in reality, probably Brocks last night).

All I've spoken about with friends today is Punk / UFC and I'm genuinely eager to try and catch up with all the goings on since I last watched.

• Like 2

I'm sure Akira Shoji, Alexander Otsuka or Daijiro Matsui are available for Punk's first fight.  If not, isn't Alberto Del Rio wanting to make an MMA comeback?  Just tell Punk to forget about the weight cut.

If they could make Punk vs, Hero happen in a UFC ring, they could have all my money.

• Like 1

This guy is in his mid 30s and just beginning mma with no significant grappling or striking background. He's going to get completely wrecked. He's not beginning his mma career in super cage fest extreme down the road from you, he's beginning it in the ufc. And not at heavyweight, in a real weight class. I don't think this is going to go well.

• Like 1

Echo what someone said about me hoping that he'd had signed as announcer.   Punk is going to get murdered in the Octagon.  AJ Lee is going to have some uncomfortable nights watching her man get leveled in the cage.

This guy is in his mid 30s and just beginning mma with no significant grappling or striking background. He's going to get completely wrecked. He's not beginning his mma career in super cage fest extreme down the road from you, he's beginning it in the ufc. And not at heavyweight, in a real weight class. I don't think this is going to go well.

They'll find someone for him to beat on PPV.

I'm sure Akira Shoji, Alexander Otsuka or Daijiro Matsui are available for Punk's first fight.  If not, isn't Alberto Del Rio wanting to make an MMA comeback?  Just tell Punk to forget about the weight cut.

If they could make Punk vs, Hero happen in a UFC ring, they could have all my money.

Hero wouldn't cut the weight though...

• Like 2

I have a bad feeling that the guy they put him in the ring will be less of a tomato can and more of a guy looking to put his name in the hunt by knocking out someone with a reputation.

See:

Kimbo Slice vs. Seth Petruzelli

Mirko Crocop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Now, whether or not Punk can turn a bad loss into a career like Brock did by meathooking Frank Mir into a pulp remains to be seen.

I have a bad feeling that the guy they put him in the ring will be less of a tomato can and more of a guy looking to put his name in the hunt by knocking out someone with a reputation.

See:

Kimbo Slice vs. Seth Petruzelli

Mirko Crocop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Now, whether or not Punk can turn a bad loss into a career like Brock did by meathooking Frank Mir into a pulp remains to be seen.

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER!

JT, don't make me bring out Martin Baker

Yeah, this thread is pretty sad as expected.

Good chance Punk gets destroyed, but people doubting the UFC'a ability to find someone Punk can probably steamroll is pretty sad.

I just read the last 4 pages of this thread and we really need more synonyms for "tomato cans" in here.

Jobber in 3... 2... 1...

Best case he wins the debut against a tomato can, wins against a more credible guy, gets fast tracked to Silva/GSP where he'll be killed but it'll do 1 million buys, calls it quits and becomes an announcer. 

Part of me would like to see Silva clown him for a round before knocking him out with one hit.

GSP would be more interesting as GSP would grind on him for 3 rounds.

Yeah, this thread is pretty sad as expected.

Good chance Punk gets destroyed, but people doubting the UFC'a ability to find someone Punk can probably steamroll is pretty sad.

April/May 2015 is going to be even sadder. Just wait.

If Punk is half as bad as most people are making him to be, yeah, there's no chance GSP would let the fight go for 15 minutes without finishing him.