DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So am I the only one who doesn't know who Riff Raff is?

Nah i'm right there with ya. Wrestling bubble? Old, lame, white dude bubble?

Wikipedia says..

Horst Christian Simco (born January 29, 1982), better known by the stage name Riff Raff (often stylized as RiFF RAFF), is a rapper from Houston, Texas. He was originally managed by Swishahouse co-founder OG Ron C. Then after being associated with Soulja Boy's imprint S.O.D. Money Gang Inc., Riff Raff is now signed to producer Diplo's record label Mad Decent. He is also known for being a member of the rap group Three Loco along with Andy Milonakis and Dirt Nasty. His major label debut studio album Neon Icon was on June 24, 2014 on Mad Decent.

ok, that probably didn't help.

On February 15, 2012 film director Harmony Korine contacted Riff Raff about appearing in an upcoming movie of his which would turn out to be Spring Breakers. Once the details of the movie came out, there was speculation that the main character Alien was based on Riff Raff. However according to James Franco, his character was based on the underground rap artist Dangeruss. He said "Of course Harmony and I looked at some of Riff Raff's videos as inspiration, but he was one of a number of people we looked at. I would say the biggest influence on the role was this local Florida rapper named Dangeruss. He's fairly unknown, but he was down there in the place, living the life, and he became the biggest model for me, and he's in the movie."

After much back and forth between both camps about the issue, including Riff Raff appearing in a cameo for One Life to Live playing a character called "Jamie Franko". Then during July 2013 Riff Raff announced he was suing the creators of Spring Breakers for 10 million dollars for sampling his life without his permission or a proper producer credit. However, a search for court documents by LA Weekly in September 2013, resulted in no findings.

ok, that probably didn't help either.

• Like 1

Riff Raff is so sleazy that he actually gets less sleazy wearing Terry Richardson's glasses

edit: I shouldn't needle Riff Raff too much, i'm guessing he has driven to Temecula to fight people before

temecula is probably a hellgate and definitely somewhere I drive through every christmas, so that is amazing.

that is officially the first cool thing about temecula

Your contrarian personality is so cute.

I thought someone already explained I am that bee that wouldn't defend the hive or some shit? Idk. I don't like honey.

Besides me being annoyingly overrating-ish about Barrett, he does so many awesome things. He counters shit not with moves, but to punches to the face and kicks to the gut. His giggling schoolboy smile when he does something to get him booed. He will dropkick a jobber for the hell of it.  Plus, he wears a goddamn cape. If that doesn't make him a top 5 worker, nothing will.

Everyone talks about heatless people working in the 80's. Well, Barrett is working TODAY and would work anywhere there needs to be a guy willing to laugh at someone as they are unconscious. He'd be Bill Watts' dream come true as a worker tbh

Barrett to me is one of those guys who was most hurt by WCW no longer being around.  He works a very WCW-ish style, and you can tell he takes inspiration from certain folks like DDP and Foley.   Also, competition made it harder to keep people down.  He would have worn Big Gold at some point. 

I love the way Barrett chews scenery and is just so happy to be making folks miserable, yet he manages to avoid becoming "cool".  Add in the fact he's just a great worker, minus the unneeded Cactus Jack elbow drop (he needs to drop that, love the shout-out but I want a healthy Barrett in 10 years).

Barrett is going to go down to me as one of the top guys never to hold a World Title of this decade, and I think when fully healthy, he's a top 3 act in the company.  The only guy I can clearly see as better is Rollins.

• Like 1

I don't see Barrett as a guy who has been misused at all, outside of the early Nexus stuff where they should have gave him the title (more for the angle than for him though) He's good in the ring and on the mic but he's not a guy I would want to build a bunch of stuff around until he could go at least a year without some kind of injury.

And here's a funny story about Dick Murdoch and JBL (John Hawk) for good measure:

Dick Murdoch pulled a rib on John Hawk on the 6/13 Big D show in that Murdoch laid down and got pinned (result was supposed to be a double count out). Then Murdoch went off in the dressing room about how green Hawk is in that he was supposed to be in the ropes and not get pinned and how he screwed up a simple finish when in reality Murdoch screwed up the finish as a rib.

Wrestlers seem to have a difficult time differentiating between "pulling a rib" and "acting like a tremendous douchebag for no reason."

Yeah a lot of those "rib" stories sound like guys acting like assholes instead of just playing a prank. Mr. Fuji taking out someone's car engine is a funny prank. Putting lighter fluid in someone's inhaler is a dickhead move.

So am I the only one who doesn't know who Riff Raff is?

Nah i'm right there with ya. Wrestling bubble? Old, lame, white dude bubble?

That'd have to be it. Thirded. No idea who this dude is. I had never heard of PewdiePie until South Park made fun of him a few weeks ago. I'm old.

Wrestlers seem to have a difficult time differentiating between "pulling a rib" and "acting like a tremendous douchebag for no reason."

Realy? That was acting like a "tremendous douchebag?" Big D wrestling drew less than 100 people to it's shows and for it get back to Meltzer that it was a rib, I'm pretty sure he eventually told JBL "hey I'm just fucking with ya kid" after he left him shit his pants for a while. He probably saw JBL as overly nervous about working with someone he looked up to and decided to mess with him. This isn't putting lighter fluid in someone's asthma inhaler or feeding someone their dog.

Realy? That was acting like a "tremendous douchebag?" Big D wrestling drew less than 100 people to it's shows and for it get back to Meltzer that it was a rib, I'm pretty sure he eventually told JBL "hey I'm just fucking with ya kid" after he left him shit his pants for a while. He probably saw JBL as overly nervous about working with someone he looked up to and decided to mess with him. This isn't putting lighter fluid in someone's asthma inhaler or feeding someone their dog.

That wasn't even Bossman's best rib. 

This was Bossman's best rib:

hrp31.png

• Like 2

Reading the Observers I just don't understand why so many people wanted to lose money running wrestling shows in Dallas in the 90s. Big D never has more than 150 people listed for their shows and Dave constantly talks about how they have to give away 30,000 tickets for the GWF shows to even manage to get 1,500-2,000 in the building.