DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It could be that the people who do the graphics are terrible at their job.

But there is a reason why graphic designers pick and choose what goes in their portfolio:  Sometimes clients want things that are hideously ugly.

Anybody remember that early Impact! on Spike that Jarrett was in like 5 segments of an hour long program wearing that shirt that looked like Hogan 02 tights and white pants? Awful outfit,

Can't be worst than Kurt Angle in a thong running around making homophobic jokes with Borash every 5 minutes on a 2 hour show.

When he was in that tanning bed and asked Borash if he was starring at his package?

Yeah, that was my last episode of Impact I watched.

One like for you for being the other person that remembers that clusteruck. :)

I would laugh way too hard if it ended up being Matt Striker and Vampiro since they finished with the Lucha Underground tapings and have nothing else to do. And then probably start crying after that.

As bad as Tenay is in TNA at least he'd know what he's talking about. In all seriousness, watch it be Don West and Double J.

It looks like Jarrett might be going for a Wide World of Sports style wrestling show with this promotion. Doesn't actually sound like a bad idea if he can get enough promotions to work with for the project. Can pick and choose the best stuff to air for co-promoting the PPVs as well; assuming they can get tv. I hope this is the direction they are going.

I've been trying to think of a good team, and keep coming back to Bubba as the "Gorilla" for GWF.  That made me realize that the reason Gorilla and JR were so much better than Cole/JBL/Pettingill/Taz is that they had a stake in the company.  Gino was part owner and JR was the talent manager, so he could stand up to Vince if need be.  There's a subtle, but noticeable shift in JR's announcing when he stepped down from the Talent Relations position.

Anyone else think it's weird that a "promotion" that has never even ran a show gets much bigger billing than NJPW on a PPV that is a broadcast of an NJPW event?

That would be like saying:

NWA TEXARKANA PRESENTS

wwe wrestlemania

• Like 2

Mike, I think that you may be on to something there... That's probably the lowest risk / highest return course of action as a company. The more I think about it the more sense it makes; I just see comparisons to my world in publishing where a long-time friendly competitor has switched gears to purchase estates' literary rights and then license them to folks like me. The initial cash outlay is significant, but represents much less risk than the time and resources to acquire rare pulp magazines, scan and transcribe stories, hire someone to write an intro (which is what I do), and then worry about distribution and getting paid. Of course, the real prize is if something gets optioned by Hollyweird, then we're talking a HUGE ROI. And how does Hollyweird find properties to option? Simple, guys like me do all the work assembling a book and then some schmoe picks out a couple of stories and the process begins.

How does that compare to GFW? Simple, if JJ has a joint-venture type of licensing agreement with X Fed, be it NJPW, AAA, or maybe one day ROH, and someone becomes a breakout star that sells a lot of merch. He has his hand in the cookie jar with very little financial risk on his part. I can easily see GFW becoming a packager of international promotions to market in the US. Historically, the Japanese haven't cared about the US market, more due to the hassle of hiring an entire team to handle stateside marketing, but if you have GFW to handle that end of things, 50% of something is much better than 100% of nothing.

Anyone else think it's weird that a "promotion" that has never even ran a show gets much bigger billing than NJPW on a PPV that is a broadcast of an NJPW event?

That would be like saying:

NWA TEXARKANA PRESENTS

wwe wrestlemania

I just learned of Texarkana last week. It's a magically place in which half the town is in Texas and the other half is in Arkansas. But the nurse I talked too said it's no big deal since Arkansas is across the street. haha

And I know Jarrett gets a lot of shit, but he is one of my top 5 babyface workers ever.

• Like 1

I've been trying to think of a good team, and keep coming back to Bubba as the "Gorilla" for GWF.  That made me realize that the reason Gorilla and JR were so much better than Cole/JBL/Pettingill/Taz is that they had a stake in the company.  Gino was part owner and JR was the talent manager, so he could stand up to Vince if need be.  There's a subtle, but noticeable shift in JR's announcing when he stepped down from the Talent Relations position.

I don't think having a stake in the company has much to do with it. You need a special type of commentator to call wrestling. It's not just someone describing the action. It's a work and their job is to make you care about what is happening and get storylines over.

Either you have it or you don't. Most do not have it. Putting all of the repetitive talking points and constant schilling aside, Cole does not have it. He didn't have it 15 years ago and he doesn't have it today.

Cole has probably called 5,000+ televised matches. Are there even five great Cole performances?

The WWE should be on a mission to find a great wrestling commentator/storyteller. It is one of the easiest fixes to the problems they have with getting newer talent over. 

• Like 2