DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've been trying to think of a good team, and keep coming back to Bubba as the "Gorilla" for GWF.  That made me realize that the reason Gorilla and JR were so much better than Cole/JBL/Pettingill/Taz is that they had a stake in the company.  Gino was part owner and JR was the talent manager, so he could stand up to Vince if need be.  There's a subtle, but noticeable shift in JR's announcing when he stepped down from the Talent Relations position.

I don't think having a stake in the company has much to do with it. You need a special type of commentator to call wrestling. It's not just someone describing the action. It's a work and their job is to make you care about what is happening and get storylines over.

Either you have it or you don't. Most do not have it. Putting all of the repetitive talking points and constant schilling aside, Cole does not have it. He didn't have it 15 years ago and he doesn't have it today.

Cole has probably called 5,000+ televised matches. Are there even five great Cole performances?

The WWE should be on a mission to find a great wrestling commentator/storyteller. It is one of the easiest fixes to the problems they have with getting newer talent over. 

• Like 2

I still think it's a mistake to have Ambrose feud with Wyatt. Both of those guys need to be built up right now. It would have been better to have Rollins put a bounty on Ambrose' head and have him definitively go over a few mid-card monsters until winter. This is a case where the lack of the old territory system hurts. You can't just bring in Abdullah the Butcher anymore, you know?

• Like 1

The young gentleman from Knoxville speaks truth. There are a million ways to do it, from Gordon Solie's almost deadpan delivery to Joey Styles screaming like a castrato. The important part of announcing is selling the stuffing instead of potatoes as important. From the top down the announcer(s) supposed to be conveying that everyone and everything you see has importance, save for the poor guys known as jobbers, and even then, a good announcer will focus on the possibility that you may see an upset due to some improbable event. Example, Johnny Rodz = unpredictable!

VKM used to get a lot of grief for not knowing jack about wrestling moves back when he was pretending to be just an announcer. However, Vince was really good at making you feel that what you were watching was important. We mock "What a maneuver!" today, but at the time he did a great job of conveying excitement no matter who was in the ring. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be to do this job with some idiot screaming in your ear non-stop. As was said, that sort of micro-management does no one any good whatsoever. In fifteen years Michael Cole has either been completely neutered by Vince or has failed to learn the most things about his job. Whichever the case, without an announcer conveying the importance of what's being watched, you get dead crowds and apathetic viewers. 

• Like 3

And I know Jarrett gets a lot of shit, but he is one of my top 5 babyface workers ever.

That's a big statement.

Off the top of my head, the first ones that came to mind for me were Ricky Morton, Ricky Steamboat & Rey Mysterio, Jr. I'm also a big fan of Tito Santana. What's your five if Jarrett is in it?

Also, for the NJPW commentary, if I could pick the two, I would go with Jim Ross and Mick Foley.

But if you're Global Force Wrestling, and you're putting a Japanese wrestlng event on PPV in America, how much good does it do to bill it as:

GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING

brings you Japanese wrestling

If Global Force Wrestling had any sort of brand name to it, I could see it, like if WWE did it - it's a brand name people know. We know who Global Force and NJPW are, but if they wanna get buys from people outside of Smarktown, they're not exactly doing themselves any favors with the marketing.

I mean, movies aren't promoted as:

PARAMOUNT PICTURES

Brings you Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar"

Was randomly thinking something while watching New Japan earlier (the Jr tag with Time Splitters/Bucks/Hooligans).

Are there any great matches of Austin/Hogan/Rock/Flair that are underseen or lost? I would imagine that for most of us those are probably the four guys that we've basically seen everything of, and they're the four guys that the WWE has just about pumped out everything of. 

I don't mean stuff that was never filmed or only was at house shows, or stuff that was on PPV or TV that we've forgotten about but probably thought was awesome at the time. What I'm thinking that if I typed in any of those guys on Youtube or Daily Motion am I going to find just some random gem that no one has ever pimped, or have we basically exhausted the catalog of those guys?

Why write the Authority off tv? That's easy, so VKM can make a triumphant return as the evil Mr. McMahon and strut around commanding wrestlers to kiss his ass, projectile vomit on their opponents and have the Divas bark like dogs and all the other bits of sophisticated humor that he is known for. I really sort of feel sorry for anyone being called up from NXT during this next phase; the kind of wrestlecrap that VKM finds so amusing can easily be career killing.

Any word on wether or not the Database will be appearing on the GFW Tokyo Dome show?  That would blow the japanese audience's collective mind.  

Database will turn out to be a T1000 type wrestler that absorbs the movesets of opponents after he defeats them. 

Jarrett saying how many wrestlers have been added to the Database is actually an intensely horrifying statement.

• Like 2

Any word on wether or not the Database will be appearing on the GFW Tokyo Dome show?  That would blow the japanese audience's collective mind.  

The Database will replace all the ROH talent that can't appear on the PPV.

I thought Jarrett met with Joe Koff to reach an agreement on ROH talent appearing on the PPV and ROH promoting the event on there telelvision? I guess we don't know if anything came out of the talks yet.

This is what we need instead of the Authority:

peoplepower.png

This was my initial thought too, but I figured they wouldn't just depose the one heel authority figure to segue straight into another.

Also, for the NJPW commentary, if I could pick the two, I would go with Jim Ross and Mick Foley.

You ever watch the first ECW One Night Stand? After seeing what Foley did there, I never ever want to see him on commentary again.

And Big Johnny's sexist ass doesn't deserve another paycheck.

RUMBLINGS...Stephanie pregnant again. Authority being written off TV.

Why would the entire Authority need to be written off?  

There might be a medical issue with Stephanie related to past pregnancies that would require her to be off the road.  Just speculating.