DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Jingus, I didn't mean for my post to come across that way so I apologize for that but I do disagree with your take on Marvel villains. I think they could be better and I hate when everything is turned into a laugh. There's a way to find a balance between serious situations and cracking jokes.  The Winter Soldier is so awesome because it completely eliminated everything I dislike about the MCU and just made a badass comic book movie where the bullets were real and the humor was limited to scenes where it made more sense.

Interesting news that Natalie Portman isn't returning in THOR 3.  It's unclear if it's simply a matter of Jane Foster not fitting into the story, or if she's being written out of the franchise completely.  I know Portman wasn't happy during the production of THOR 2.

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Interesting news that Natalie Portman isn't returning in THOR 3.  It's unclear if it's simply a matter of Jane Foster not fitting into the story, or if she's being written out of the franchise completely.  I know Portman wasn't happy during the production of THOR 2.

That's good news, I thought her parts were easily the worst stuff in the Thor movies. I didn't mind the woman from 2 Broke Girls who's name I'm now forgetting.

Kat Dennings, whose character is really only there for comic relief in the first place. I suspect Thor 3 will take place mostly in Asgard and the other realms, so you don't really need Natalie and Kat anyway.

Encouraging reaction to the Captain America: Civil War screening for critics. Spider-Man's getting the biggest praise, then Black Panther, action and story. I read somewhere the review embargo ends n this day long before it comes out in the UK on the 29th April and 6th May in the USA. Marvel Studios are clearly happy/confident in the film to do this.

On the subject of Marvel Cinematic Universe villains, the villains are hit and miss.

The great: Loki (Thor, Avengers Assemble, Thor: The Dark World), Alexander Pierce, the Winter Soldier (Captain America: The Winter Soldier), John Garrett and Grant Ward (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Wilson Fisk (Daredevil), Dottie Underwood, Johann Fennhoff (Agent Carter Season One) and Kilgrave (Jessica Jones).

The good: Obadiah Stane (Iron Man), Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger), the Mandarin before, you know (Iron Man 3) and Jiaying (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

The mediocre putting it kindly: The Abomination (The Incredible Hulk), Whiplash/Justin Hammer (Iron Man 2), Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3), Malekith the Accursed (Thor: The Dark World), Ronan the Accuser (Guardians of the Galaxy), Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Darren Cross (Ant-Man) and Whitney Frost (Agent Carter Season Two).

I dig the Dr. Strange trailer but not sure how I feel about Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo, Ninja Magician. 

I agree with Buy Me A Burito.  This is shaping up to be Sherlock Khan the Sorcerer Supreme vs. The Operative from Firefly with magical powers.  We'll see if this turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing. 

Hopefully the rumors about Madds being Dormammu will be true and they'll have some badass CGI effects for the Dread From Beyond.

Only issue I have with Mordo and Dormammu being in the same movie is that Strange doesn't have all that huge of a rogues gallery and Marvel makes money from huge sequels.   Once Strange thumps Mordo, who do you bring in for the next movie, or does Mordo live to fight another day and we get bored with the rematches?

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Name of the Spider-Man solo film:

Mjxhobhm

Fitting as Spidey's where he belongs, in the MCU.

This can't be real. I thought they were also doing a Spidey animated movie or series or something. Maybe this is the logo and the name for it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This can't be real. I thought they were also doing a Spidey animated movie or series or something. Maybe this is the logo and the name for it?

What Craig said.  That logo is horrible.  I half expect Spidey to be teamed up with Iceman and Firestar in the trailer.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2016 at 4:14 PM, Jingus said:

I thought she was an interesting idea, performed well, but handled poorly in the individual plot beats.  We didn't find out until MUCH too late that she was bulletproof; why didn't the Illuminati guys just fuckin' shoot her when she was slooooooooooowly vaporizing them one-by-one?  

I agree that Whitney started off good but they really dropped the ball on her.

But Dottie, on the other hand, is a fantastic villain. 

• Like 1