DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Marisa Tomei is supposedly in talks to play Aunt May.

Seems like Aunt May is getting younger and younger with every iteration. This is getting ridiculous, Aunt May is supposed to be a sweet old lady, not a hot MILF.

They should have just cast Lisa Ann.  Warning: Don't google her.

• 2 weeks later...

They should call F. Gary Gray.  That's not meant to be some in-joke either.  He's coming off Straight Outta Compton, and he has a solid body of work that shows he'd probably be a good fit for Black Panther.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/03/ava-duvernay-black-panther-pass

To the surprise of no one, Ave DuVernay will NOT be directing Black Panther, admitting that she would want to make her own film rather than make a film that had cameos from other MCU characters and continued the build to Infinity War.

Hasn't this been known for a few weeks now? I swear it came out last month, or around then, that she wasn't interested in directing Black Panther after all those rumors came out that she had signed on.

I say hire Steve McQueen, or F. Gary Gray like VileOne said - if Marvel is deadset on having a black director.

To the surprise of no one, Ave DuVernay will NOT be directing Black Panther, admitting that she would want to make her own film rather than make a film that had cameos from other MCU characters and continued the build to Infinity War.

Hasn't this been known for a few weeks now? I swear it came out last month, or around then, that she wasn't interested in directing Black Panther after all those rumors came out that she had signed on.

I say hire Steve McQueen, or F. Gary Gray like VileOne said - if Marvel is deadset on having a black director.

Steve McQueen? Wait....what? Shit, you might as well throw out Spike Lee and John Singleton. If you're gonna hire someone who isn't going to make a fuss and do as told, Steve McQueen is not a viable option.

FGG probably isn't the guy either.

I don't know why people are naming these directors when in actuality it would probably be someone like Carl Franklin. He's been around forever and is a capable director. Fuqua would be the closest in terms of name recognition and ability to pull it off, but he has a dozen projects already lined up. He would have to drop something. Marvel has a better shot landing John Ridley or Mara Brock Akil than STEVE MCQUEEN.

I think it has, but she recently elaborated more about her decision.

Just saying, someone like F. Gary Gray seems more in the Marvel wheelhouse right now, and a guy who has experience doing action movies with humor and comedies.

If SOC is successful either critcally or commercially, I think Legendary Pictures throws money at FGG to do one of their monster movie projects. Lord knows they need someone decent to helm those movies.

To the surprise of no one, Ave DuVernay will NOT be directing Black Panther, admitting that she would want to make her own film rather than make a film that had cameos from other MCU characters and continued the build to Infinity War.

What are the Wayans brothers up to?

• Like 1

Also: it's really fascinating to me that 10+ years ago, Priest complained about being pigeonholed as a BLACK COMICS CREATOR and being offered exclusively black-focused books, and now we've reached a point where both comics and movies are considered badly broken if we put a non-black auteur in charge of a black hero.  (The solution, of course, is more black creators in both genre film and corporate comics, so that there isn't an Only Black Person to pigeonhole.  In the meantime, I still don't know if we're making progress or reinforcing ghettoization with these conversations.)

• Like 1

I mean, I think F. Gary Gray would be a decent choice, and I think what you can look at from a lot of his films, he's made a lot of diverse films for broad audiences and not specifically films that are more aimed at a "black" demographic.  

I mean, as much as I would be fine with Kevin Reynolds doing Black Panther or any Marvel movie period, it doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.  

Also, DJ Caruso's style seems like it would be tailor made for Marvel.

I don't know why people are naming these directors when in actuality it would probably be someone like Carl Franklin. He's been around forever and is a capable director. Fuqua would be the closest in terms of name recognition and ability to pull it off, but he has a dozen projects already lined up. He would have to drop something.

On the DVD commentary for Shooter, Fuqua threw a passive-aggressive tantrum over being ordered to do reshoots and change the ending, so I don't think he'd be very cooperative with Marvel.

I loved Selma and I think Ava is a great director, but no.  BP should be about T'Challa kicking Ulysses Klaw in the teeth and not go the Neil Bloomkamp route of turning my perfectly fine action romp into some sort of awareness campaign about how shitty humanity is.   If I want to be angry about the ills of society, I will watch Amistad or 12 Years A Slave, not Black Panther.

• Like 1

I don't know why people are naming these directors when in actuality it would probably be someone like Carl Franklin. He's been around forever and is a capable director. Fuqua would be the closest in terms of name recognition and ability to pull it off, but he has a dozen projects already lined up. He would have to drop something.

On the DVD commentary for Shooter, Fuqua threw a passive-aggressive tantrum over being ordered to do reshoots and change the ending, so I don't think he'd be very cooperative with Marvel.

Yeah, Fuqua has a few creative issues in the past. However, I think in terms of having the total package for this job, he fits the bill. Although he probably won't totally acquiesce to everything, he is still willing to take on studio vehicles of all kinds more than almost everyone named so far.

Plus, he has done beer commercials quite recently. He is more of a team player than you would think.

If you want a guy who's a steady hand, who has experience directing action and drama, and isn't going to be possessive of the film but instead accept that it's his job to make the movie the studio wants him to make, maybe get a guy who's done a lot of directing of TV shows as well as movies. Clark Johnson fits the bill, I reckon.

• Like 1

If you want a guy who's a steady hand, who has experience directing action and drama, and isn't going to be possessive of the film but instead accept that it's his job to make the movie the studio wants him to make, maybe get a guy who's done a lot of directing of TV shows as well as movies. Clark Johnson fits the bill, I reckon.

Oh, man. That is so on point. Shit.

He would definitely make sense. Has solid film experience but a long career of working in TV, including the sequential style of TV where you have to build the next episode. Presumably has no problems with strict deadlines.

Not an inspiring choice, but a solid one. Which seems to be what Marvel is looking for. Someone with enough personality to shade a film but who ultimately will just do what they are told.