DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

a lot to ask?

Because I think an audience can remember how many strikeouts a pitcher has, what the current count is for the current batter, and how many hits their favorite player has while still enjoying a baseball game, and many of them do it quite effortlessly. So expecting an audience to just remember that a team can't have infinite saves doesn't seem like a lot to me.

But then again, I haven't been to a wrestling event in a while. It's possible the audiences have degraded severely, which might be a reason we've had to ban so many posters lately.

• Like 2

You don't even have to announce it, it's just a rule like two feet touching the floor, or low blows.

All it takes is a team to get DQ'd for excessive saving on RAW and then everyone knows it. It's not some kind of difficult equation that people have to even think about. Don't save a bunch or you get DQ'd.

a lot to ask?

Because I think an audience can remember how many strikeouts a pitcher has, what the current count is for the current batter, and how many hits their favorite player has while still enjoying a baseball game, and many of them do it quite effortlessly. So expecting an audience to just remember that a team can't have infinite saves doesn't seem like a lot to me.

But then again, I haven't been to a wrestling event in a while. It's possible the audiences have degraded severely, which might be a reason we've had to ban so many posters lately.

Then why does baseball have scoreboards listing all those things?

You'd have to train the audience to realize it's now a rule. The audience has been trained to know the rules of a cage/lumberjack/etc. match. You'd have to reintroduce the tag match rules and really emphasize it (i.e., heels losing because of the new rule) to get it over. And you'd have to do it a few times before it stuck.

It wouldn't take too long to do. But is the payoff worth it? I think it would really add a lot of fun to tag matches. But tag wrestling is already my favorite type of wrestling, so would this really mess up what we love? WWE tag/six-man matches have really great finishing segments usually filled with a lot of dives and last-second pin break-ups. Would this end?

Also, workers weren't brought up thinking about this stuff when structuring matches. I'm sure the WWE guys would be able to pick it up and have fun with it in no time. But it could also be a lot of fun.

I'd have to go back and see the Watts Era "No Top Rope Moves" stuff. I know that handicapped a lot of fun wrestlers like Pillman. But I always thought the reasoning behind that was it allowed for heels to use that as a cheating move when a ref's back was down. That makes something like an axehandle from the corner a lot more important and dramatic instead of the throwaway spot it really was.

I think you're overestimating how engaged the audience is at your typical local Indy show. ROH and PWG are one thing, but at most shows in the area, the audience is mostly there because they have a friend on the show and they're just gonna drink for all the rest of the matches. You're lucky to get them interested at all, I wouldn't throw any more hurdles at them.

It gives me bad flashbacks to ROH's 3 Rope Breaks matches.

Look, I couldn't really give a shit about how engaged everyone else is. If the audience is so dumb -so be it. But this is what I want and the rest of the mouth breathers can deal with it. It's too late anyway. I called Vince this morning, expect to start seeing these rules enforced Monday. You're welcome.

• Like 10

Ah. I actually wouldn't have a problem with it if WWE did it. Because they have announcers and graphics to keep everyone informed (well, theoretically, better announcers would help, but still). I was talking about Indy shows specifically since someone said "All Indy shows should this".

Always crack me up how Dean Ambrose was basically a Hunter Hearst Helmsey rip off early in his career with absolutely none of the edge he has now.  Remember when he debut with Sami Calihan as the Switchblade Conspiracy in CZW as was shocked how different and awesome he was

One indy fed around here operated under ECW-esque rules(no countouts and no DQs across the board) until fairly recently.  Unfortunately, this led to one screwed-up finish where a guy did two blatant low blows in front of the referee, getting his team disqualified when they were scheduled to win.  It sucked because the winners of that tag match were supposed to advance to a match later in the card and the other member of that team was supposed to win that later match, so they had to do some serious tapdancing to get to the scheduled end result...oops?

Look at Melina there!

Titty Master jokes in 3,2....

Hidden Highlight there is the fake noise.

Moxley became so enthralled with Melina's tits that he allowed himself to become a host body for her craziness; leading to the change from mild mannered to Switchblade Conspiracy to the Lunatic Fringe.

• Like 1

I remember it being 1 save in the NWA/WCW, I think it was a Rock 'n' Roll match I watched earlier where they used a save, and JR or Watts pointed out they couldn't do it again.

I think that the fans would be able to follow it; but you have to have announcers and refs pointing these things out.  If announcers were pointing it out for years in matches; then when someone got DQed everyone would understand.  If next week they disqualify someone for it, and reference a rule nobody's mentioned in 15 years, then there's problems.  The refs even just need to do "That's one, next time I'll DQ you!"

Also, there's no way Average Baseball Fan memorizes how many strikeouts a pitcher has throughout the game. 

bleacherreport.com/articles/2225536-cm-punk-reportedly-offered-deal-to-join-tna-latest-details-and-reaction?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming

TNA has reached out to CM Punk. Man, I wish his reaction to that was filmed.

"Well, I walked out on my dream gig because I'm totally burned out on the business, but you know what?  I'd totally love to take more money than everyone else on the roster combined to work your contractually-obligated death rattle of a UK tour!"