DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: August Thread... It's Getting Serious...

SirFozzie

Cardinals are 6-9 since Molina went down with an injury. Better hope he makes a full recovery because I don't think your little bitch boy Matt Holliday is going to be enough.

Oh, and while you weren't looking piranesi, someone painted the Jolly Roger on your ivory tower.

That sounds like communist code you picked up listening to "The Pink Floyds," you sad, misguided hippie fool.

But don't worry.  We'll deal with your rebel friends soon enough.

When arguably the greatest hitter who ever lived is there despite the fact that he was an unapologetic racist and psychopath and pistol whipped someone to death, and he's in, I CAN see the argument.

First of all, there's no evidence that Ty Cobb ever pistol whipped someone to death. 

Secondly, pretty much every negative story you've ever heard about Cobb originates from Al Stump, a known fraud and forger who flat out made them up.

Cobb was probably a racist, not all that unusual for people born in the 1800s.  But he was not a psycopath and he was not a killer.  He wasn't real likeable, and was sometimes dirty on the field (see: the famous photo of Cobb "sliding" into home with a flying kick) but he was hardly the monster he's been portrayed as.

• Like 1

Piranesi, I know how much a team so strikingly different than yours, what with all the minorities and guys I can pick out of a lineup on it, can just scare the bejesus out of you, but embrace it. Sam Holbrook won't bail you out this year. We are coming for your souls, and when we bury you, we'll do it it under the ground, so that your whitewashed soul won't ascend. 

Mash. City.

Cobb was also implicated in a match fixing scandal, not that anyone gives a shit about that. Kind of how like in cricket everyone playing for India at some point in the 1990's but Tendulkar has seemingly had something stick.

Go figure. I'm sure it's complete coincidence.

When arguably the greatest hitter who ever lived is there despite the fact that he was an unapologetic racist and psychopath and pistol whipped someone to death, and he's in, I CAN see the argument.

First of all, there's no evidence that Ty Cobb ever pistol whipped someone to death. 

Secondly, pretty much every negative story you've ever heard about Cobb originates from Al Stump, a known fraud and forger who flat out made them up.

Cobb was probably a racist, not all that unusual for people born in the 1800s.  But he was not a psycopath and he was not a killer.  He wasn't real likeable, and was sometimes dirty on the field (see: the famous photo of Cobb "sliding" into home with a flying kick) but he was hardly the monster he's been portrayed as.

By the way, I wasn't saying throw Cobb out; if the stories aren't true all the better.  Alot of the guys who played back then would probably get thrown out of MLB today, like Ruth a womanizing partier, or Dimaggio, a womanizer and the cheapest son of a bitch ever. It added color to the game, and especially from a distance. Cobb is probably the greatest hitter to ever live, just his and others flaws give ammo to those who would seek to forgive more modern sins. . .not im my mind, but plenty make the argument.

How many postseason series have the Braves lost where they SHOULD have won? I can think of '98 against the Padres, Braves should have been able to get past them..  '96 they beat the shit out of the Yanks the first two games, should have probably won that World Series...  

'91 against Minnesota was as close as you are going to get. '92 against a stacked Toronto team? '97 against not only a stacked Marlins team but Hernandez getting strikes 10 inches off the plate? '99 against the Yanks at the peak of their dynasty?

Plus, people talk a lot about the starting pitching but the Braves never had anyone who could lock it down out of the bullpen outside of when Smoltz transitioned into the role. They were failed by their bullpen in the playoffs time and time again.

How many postseason series have the Braves lost where they SHOULD have won? I can think of '98 against the Padres, Braves should have been able to get past them..  '96 they beat the shit out of the Yanks the first two games, should have probably won that World Series...  

'91 against Minnesota was as close as you are going to get. '92 against a stacked Toronto team? '97 against not only a stacked Marlins team but Hernandez getting strikes 10 inches off the plate? '99 against the Yanks at the peak of their dynasty?

Plus, people talk a lot about the starting pitching but the Braves never had anyone who could lock it down out of the bullpen outside of when Smoltz transitioned into the role. They were failed by their bullpen in the playoffs time and time again.

Quick trivia: when was the last playoff series that the Braves *won*?

2001. They swept the Astros in the NLDS. Since then...

2001: Lost NLCS 4-1 to Arizona

2002: Lost NLDS 3-2 to SF (led 2-1)

2003: Lost NLDS 3-2 to Chicago

2004: Lost NLDS 3-2 to Houston 

2005: Lost NLDS 3-1 to Houston

2010: Lost NLDS 3-1 to SF

2012: The wild card horseshit

They also got swept in the 2000 NLDS by the Cardinals. So, one series win in their last eight playoff appearances. That is, how do you say...not good. The team won 95 games in '00, 101 in '02 and '03, 96 in '04, 94 last year...they weren't exactly slipping in through the back door. You could make the argument (and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong) that the Braves dynasty really ended when the Yankees kicked their shit in during the '99 WS. The early part of the 2000s reminds me of the Chargers from a few years ago, consistently winning division titles and dick else aside from that.

Piranesi, I know how much a team so strikingly different than yours, what with all the minorities and guys I can pick out of a lineup on it, can just scare the bejesus out of you, but embrace it. Sam Holbrook won't bail you out this year. We are coming for your souls, and when we bury you, we'll do it it under the ground, so that your whitewashed soul won't ascend. 

Mash. City.

Outrageous countercultural ravings.

Well I mean outside of the recent rise (and now fall) of the Phillies where has the competition been?  The Expos/Nats have been pretty terrible for the most part. Every time the Marlins get something going they get dismantle it and the Metsies even when they were good were owned by Atlanta repeatedly. This is yet another year where the Braves will not play in a meaningful game until October.

I would also like to point out that many of those teams listed from the 2000's either went to the World Series or won the World Series. They weren't nothing teams.

Cobb was also implicated in a match fixing scandal, not that anyone gives a shit about that. Kind of how like in cricket everyone playing for India at some point in the 1990's but Tendulkar has seemingly had something stick.

He was accused 7 years after the fact by a player he'd just released while manager.  There was no evidence of any wrongdoing whatsoever and Cobb was cleared.

He was accused 7 years after the fact by a player he'd just released while manager.  There was no evidence of any wrongdoing whatsoever and Cobb was cleared.

Is that the one where he and Speaker were suspended for a while?

Nice bounce back game for the Bucs. Pedro hits straight ball very far.

And too bad Liriano missed the first month and a half or else he'd be giving Kershaw a run for Cy Young.

I finally understand what Piranesi's rantings about hippies and counter culture are all about. The Cardinals have a big problem with lefties.

• Like 1

I finally understand what Piranesi's rantings about hippies and counter culture are all about. The Cardinals have a big problem with lefties.

"Oooooof"

- Fat Spanish Waiter

me ----->Posted Image

you ---------------------------------------------------^

• Like 1