DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: August Thread... It's Getting Serious...

SirFozzie

Ho hum, another night, another 3-run homer for Miggy.  .356/41/126 and we're not even to the last week of August yet.  He's 5 HRs back of Chris Davis, who's sitting on .304/46/117 right now.  Happy for both guys - one's a Detroit Tiger, one's a former Spokane Indian, so it's all good!

• Like 1

Me *switching over from VMAs*: "Ah, the (Cubs) game is FINALLY over. They must've won."

Cindy: "Don't be so sure of it. Sure you don't want to check the score?"

Me: "They had the bases loaded in the 15th. They had to."

Cindy: "Why don't you check anyway."

Me: *checks ESPN app* "MOTHERFUCKER!"

Cindy: *laughs hysterically*

• Like 1

Matt Harvey is done for the year.

He experienced tightness in his arm during his last start and he's just been diagnosed with a partial tear in the UCL.  Yes... the ligament that would require Tommy John surgery to repair.

Please call anyone you know who's a Mets fan.  They're likely suicidal right now. 

Great come from behind win via Grand Slam by Allen Craig today over the Reds.  Cards are now officially in first place again without being tied with the Pirates anymore. I know it's only a half game up but being totally in first place feels a lot better then being tied for first.

Tigers lost today, but god fucking damn, Miguel Cabrera man... Playing in obvious physical pain, and homering almost everyday right now. While absolutely dominating in average.  He's having a season (at the plate) that dwarfs what he did last year.  You know, when he won the Triple Crown and the MVP and all that.  

Trout is beating him in WAR again, too.  God, that kid is absurdly good. 

Too bad that Pujols and Hamilton's contracts are going to hinder Trout from playing on a good team for the next few years of his career.afi

I suppose the angels could get Magic or the steinbrenner boys drunk enough to take on one of those contracts at some point. .  .not that I give a crap about the Angels.

Matt Harvey is done for the year.

He experienced tightness in his arm during his last start and he's just been diagnosed with a partial tear in the UCL.  Yes... the ligament that would require Tommy John surgery to repair.

Please call anyone you know who's a Mets fan.  They're likely suicidal right now. 

Yeah, I was bummed as hell to find out and listening to the game last night, you could really sense the pall over the crowd. Have tickets for tonight actually but my enthusiasm is a bit dampened by the news and the lousy, yet somehow appropriate, overcast weather.

That said, not all is lost. We still have good arms. We just need some good bats.

If he needs to get TJ surgery they need to determine that now so he can go ahead and get the surgery already instead of waiting till spring training hoping that fairy dust will just automatically fix his elbow/arm.  Otherwise they'll have just wasted 6 months for no good reason.

If he needs to get TJ surgery they need to determine that now so he can go ahead and get the surgery already instead of waiting till spring training hoping that fairy dust will just automatically fix his elbow/arm.  Otherwise they'll have just wasted 6 months for no good reason.

This is the New York Mets we're talking about.  This is the exact scenario that will happen:

This week: "We're going to rehab it"

February 2014: "Matt's ahead of schedule and should be ready to go by Opening Day!"

March 2014: "Matt heard popping in his arm."

May 2015:  "Welcome back Matt Harvey from his long arduous recovery from surgery."

I had a nice long response all typed up about Trout and Cabrera but it got lost.  Boo.  Basically: Trout is awesome.  Tabe thinks WAR overrates defense and baserunning.  Tabe is shocked that Trout is actually a negative dWAR player this year.  Cabrera is leading the league in 10 offensive categories this year, the kind of domination little-seen since Stan Musial was 1 HR from the Triple Crown AND leading in doubles, triples, and HRs in the same year.

Cardinals now 1.5 up on the Pirates, 4.5 ahead of the Reds.  Since Yadier Molina came off the DL, St. Louis has gone 10-3.

Yadi is the personification of Christine, and everything's falling into place.

It begins....

This is the New York Mets we're talking about.  This is the exact scenario that will happen:

This week: "We're going to rehab it"

Posted Image

February 2014: "Matt's ahead of schedule and should be ready to go by Opening Day!"

March 2014: "Matt heard popping in his arm."

May 2015:  "Welcome back Matt Harvey from his long arduous recovery from surgery."