DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014 PLAYOFFS

Dolfan in NYC

It could only be better if once they're both exhausted, Seattle sneaks out from under the tarp and steals the win.

With a hand halfway up the length of the steel chair as they swing it, so it resembles a bunt

WHY DON"T WE HAVE A MONEY IN THE BANK WILDCARD?????  Who at any time during or immediately after any game (but not in the World Series) can challenge one of the teams to a one-game playoff, and if they win they take their place in the series.

It would get an extra team in there without extending the season, Bud.  Bud?  Come on, Bud...it just. makes. sense.

And it would make the the last few innings of the 4th game of a sweep so tense.

Chalmers in '08 and the shootout in the MLS finals last year both won championships, so objectively I can't put this at the top of my "coolest sports moments" list. But fuck, it's right there. And I get to go to work in Bill James' old canning factory - which is now a converted office building - tomorrow. Baseball!

And Adam Dunn retires because he's unhappy that he did not play in the wild card game.

I'm serious.

He actually has been saying he's retiring after the year since at least the moment the A's picked him up.

Yeah I love analytics but there are things you cannot quantify and last night was a perfect example of that.

Tell me that a bunt or steal is bad and I will tell you that a good manager will do what is necessary to win the game even if it goes against the numbers.

It's not that "bunting and stealing bases are bad!" That's a misconception. There's a time and a place for everything, and too many managers don't know the right time and place for them. That Butler/Hosmer double steal? Absolutely terrible. Running your brains out with Dyson and those type of players? Perfectly acceptable. Bunting a runner from second to third with none out? A hell of a lot better than bunting a runner from first to second with none out.

My main issue with the incessant bunting was this - Norris wasn't throwing anyone out stealing. So why give the A's outs? Outs are a commodity. You don't get them back. Throwing them away for the perception that you can score a run easier is ridiculous.

• Like 2

For people that are criticizing Clint Hurdle for going with Cole in game 162 instead of resting him tonight,  tonight's game is more proof that he was right.  Making the wild card game is better than nothing but it is really something you don't want to do.  If you can avoid it and win the division you do it.    Remember the Cards were going to start Wainright if the Pirates won that game so they had the same strategy

Still a damn good season.  The future is bright although it would really help if they can keep Russell Martin