DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

From the "Athletes Saying Stupid Shit Defending Their 'Thin Blue Line'" files:

I don't condone hittin women or think it's coo BUT if SHE ain't trippin then I ain't trippin.. Lets keep it movin lol let that man play!

— Paul George (@Yg_Trece) September 11, 2014

If you in a relationship and a woman hit you first and attacking YOU.. Then you obviously ain't beatin HER. Homie made A bad choice! #StayUp

About 15 minutes later, both of these were deleted and he tweeted: 

Paul George         @Yg_Trece

Let me apologize to the women and to the VICTIMS of domestic violence people my intent was not to downplay the situation..

Larry Bird later said Paul George was told in those 15 minutes what a massively stupid idea it was to tweet the above.

Why does he feel the need to capitalze the word "victims?" 

He's adding a line of demarcation that still allows him to hold the bullshit position that there are some situations where striking a woman is appropriate behavior.

He needs to have a chat with Andre Rison.   Some women will set your shit on fire if you push them too far.

• Like 1

From the "Athletes Saying Stupid Shit Defending Their 'Thin Blue Line'" files:

I don't condone hittin women or think it's coo BUT if SHE ain't trippin then I ain't trippin.. Lets keep it movin lol let that man play!

If you in a relationship and a woman hit you first and attacking YOU.. Then you obviously ain't beatin HER. Homie made A bad choice! #StayUp

About 15 minutes later, both of these were deleted and he tweeted: 

Paul George        ✔ @Yg_Trece

Let me apologize to the women and to the VICTIMS of domestic violence people my intent was not to downplay the situation..

Larry Bird later said Paul George was told in those 15 minutes what a massively stupid idea it was to tweet the above.

Why does he feel the need to capitalze the word "victims?" 

He's adding a line of demarcation that still allows him to hold the bullshit position that there are some situations where striking a woman is appropriate behavior.

He needs to have a chat with Andre Rison.   Some women will set your shit on fire if you push them too far.

Because there's an unsuprisingly large amount of people that think that Rice was in the right, the mob is wrong, and that because Janay married him right after and is defending him, that it makes it all ok and that she "forgives him and moved on".

I say unsuprisingly, because there's a large amount of people that went to University in State College PA that believe that covering up rape to avoid damaging the rep of a Football Team is acceptable.  And that a large section of our population are still backwards fucks that think women are inferior to men in every way and should not be treated equally.

• Like 3

People's reactions to this whole thing is really stupid.  Why does everyone have to be so far to one side or the other?

Because our society has been conditioned over the past however many years to suscribe to one side or the other, no middle ground exists?

• Like 3

How would you want it delivered? Really, I'm interested.

No problem.  In my own opinion, and YMMV, it needed to be delivered with no "style" at all, like a real human being just talking to you.  Less polished, more off the cuff, or how about do away with the script entirely?  Maybe it's my nigh worthless  mass comm degree talking but the way he did it came off as really phony.  There's broadcasting and there's talking.  He came off like a polished broadcaster just broadcasting some bit of info, not a real person expressing an urgent opinion on a very important subject.

James Brown always speaks like that. I mean like always - in any situation - so that isn't his "broadcasting" style.

• Like 1

Which I think actually now gives Rice grounds to win an appeal I would believe.

People's reactions to this whole thing is really stupid.  Why does everyone have to be so far to one side or the other?

I agree with this.  What Ray Rice did was horrible and unacceptable, and he should be punished for it.  The issue I have with this whole thing is that he is not  being punished for his crime, but based on how people have reacted to his crime.  When they interviewed Ray Rice and he told them exactly what happened, they decided he should be punished for 2 games.  When people complained, they upped the penalties going forward.  When people watched the video they punished him again, not because he committed another crime, or it was different than the crime he was originally punished for, but because their original punishment looked bad.  They honestly messed this up so bad that Ray Rice isn't even the subject of the story any more, it is how horribly they handled the situation.  They have opened the floodgates for everyone with an agenda even vaguely related to the NFL, domestic violence, male oppression, and whatever else they can staple, tape, or paper clip to this story.  They have shown that they are able to be manipulated, and people have decided that they are going to take advantage of this opportunity. 

I'll never understand these "well she hit him first" people, almost every woman I've ever dealt with has hit me harder than she hit him just joking around, and they are trying to justify him knocking her flat the fuck out.

• Like 1

almost every woman I've ever dealt with has hit me harder than she hit him just joking around

Perhaps it's time to ask why we as a society accept that it's OK for women to punch guys hard while just "joking around".

It was right there in black and white in the fucking police report.

• Like 1

Goodell is actually succeeding in making Ray Rice a victim of railroading.  Think about that for a moment.  Ray Rice is a VICTIM in a case where he cold-cocked his wife.

Rice's statement hasn't changed.  It's what he told the Ravens.  It's in the police report.  It's on the FUCKING VIDEO.  Which someone at the NFL received, BTW. At no point, has this been altered.  Ray Rice has three documented accounts that he's told the truth from the beginning--but all of a sudden, he's going to lie to Goodell? 

Get the ever FUCK out of here with that.

He may be an asshole, but Rice isn't that stupid.  His lawyer had the tape, so he'd probably had been told Goodell would somehow get it, too.  So there would be ZERO reason for him to lie.  Keep telling the truth, and deal with the fallout.  It's not his fault Goodell created/changed policy on the fly.  It's not Rice's fault that Goodell has fucked this up beyond rationale.  Rice is just the conduit on which Goodell is using in hopes of satisifying the masses. 

It's Rice's fault that he's in this predictment.  But wow, Goodell has FUBAR on this one.

SMH.  Goodell can't possibly think people are so stupid as to fall for this.  But knowing that half of society probably will doesn't even surprise me.  Because I still don't think Goodell isn't getting fired over this--as long as nothing else comes out.

• Like 1

This is my usual dumbass thought for the day, but could Rice sue the NFL for some buggered up form of Double Jeopardy?.. I *know* it's not DJ, but it's the best way I could describe the situation, at the moment. If anyone could tell me a better word to describe it, I would be grateful? Kurt, do you happen to have the answer, by chance?

Well, I think an arbiter could've granted Rice an appeal before, but Goodell changing the reasoning to "Well, he lied so we upped the punishment" when its evident he didn't lie, and that the NFL has fucked this in every way imaginable I would believe give Rice real good grounds for appealing the indefinite suspension and winning, then suing the league for defimation of character (the line about lying about the incident to the League, which pretty much no one with a brain cell will say Rice did, if anything) and winning that.  

Remember, the NFL is a business and this practice has become business culture.  Don't own up to the fuck up and fix it, spend more money and effort trying to cover it up and shifting blame.

This is my usual dumbass thought for the day, but could Rice sue the NFL for some buggered up form of Double Jeopardy?.. I *know* it's not DJ, but it's the best way I could describe the situation, at the moment. If anyone could tell me a better word to describe it, I would be grateful? Kurt, do you happen to have the answer, by chance?

Double Jeopardy is a legal procedural defense.   The NFL as an entity renders that null and void since:

1) It is a private association and a private league with its own by-laws.

2) Rice is subject to the same collecitive bargaining agreement that binds the Players Union and the League.  The League agrees to salary terms while the Players Union agrees to obey the league bylaws.

Always be mindful of corporate culture when you consider taking a job.  

Goodell is actually succeeding in making Ray Rice a victim of railroading.  Think about that for a moment.  Ray Rice is a VICTIM in a case where he cold-cocked his wife.

Rice's statement hasn't changed.  It's what he told the Ravens.  It's in the police report.  It's on the FUCKING VIDEO.  Which someone at the NFL received, BTW. At no point, has this been altered.  Ray Rice has three documented accounts that he's told the truth from the beginning--but all of a sudden, he's going to lie to Goodell? 

Get the ever FUCK out of here with that.

He may be an asshole, but Rice isn't that stupid.  His lawyer had the tape, so he'd probably had been told Goodell would somehow get it, too.  So there would be ZERO reason for him to lie.  Keep telling the truth, and deal with the fallout.  It's not his fault Goodell created/changed policy on the fly.  It's not Rice's fault that Goodell has fucked this up beyond rationale.  Rice is just the conduit on which Goodell is using in hopes of satisifying the masses. 

It's Rice's fault that he's in this predictment.  But wow, Goodell has FUBAR on this one.

SMH.  Goodell can't possibly think people are so stupid as to fall for this.  But knowing that half of society probably will doesn't even surprise me.  Because I still don't think Goodell isn't getting fired over this--as long as nothing else comes out.

The league is taking a huge PR hit in this department and I would be surprised if major sponsors are not having conversations with the league behind closed doors right now.  

October will be a very uncomfortable month for the league if Goodell is still in charge.

He can step down but stay on in a role as commissioner until a successor is named.  

The NFL could have taken a number of baby steps to quell this (many of which required the effort required to lift a pencil) but they went the wrong way each time.

Just a quick list.

1.  Interviewing the attacker and victim at the same time and in the same room.

2.  Not acknowledging that there is a problem with respect to suspensions within the Code of Conduct and CBA.

3.  Changing the suspension outside of the CBA.

4.  Denying that the tape ever made it into the NFL's offices.

Just a start.

Fun fact i heard today : Goodell started at the NFL as a college intern and never left.

Someone mentioned he remembered Goodell giving up press credentials at the Super Bowl years and years ago.

The Phillies have the same problem with Montgomery as President and main partner although he stepped down to fight cancer.

When you are in a business for 30+ years it is a nice achievement but you can clearly see the business mistakes of having one vision your entire career.

Fun fact i heard today : Goodell started at the NFL as a college intern and never left.

Someone mentioned he remembered Goodell giving up press credentials at the Super Bowl years and years ago.

The Phillies have the same problem with Montgomery as President and main partner although he stepped down to fight cancer.

When you are in a business for 30+ years it is a nice achievement but you can clearly see the business mistakes of having one vision your entire career.

From afar, it seemed like he ran the Phillies better than Bill Giles did.

From afar, it seemed like he ran the Phillies better than Bill Giles did.

That is probably true but you see things like holding onto the past, acceptance of mediocrity, and an ivory tower for their decisions.  They got lucky on their WS run, the teams for the next two years were better but fell short.

In terms of the NFL you see the ivory tower that they cannot do wrong and that their way of business is correct.  No outside influence as evidenced with the independent panel which is headed by someone who previously worked with the NFL and two owners but no women.  Goodell seems fine with the punishments and code of conduct in the CBA and is resistant to change.

A huge step forward would be admitting that the Code of Conduct and suspensions are a problem and that they need to renegotiate these issues in light of current events.