DVDVR Message Board

This Week In NFL Stupidity

hammerva

Fun fact i heard today : Goodell started at the NFL as a college intern and never left.

Someone mentioned he remembered Goodell giving up press credentials at the Super Bowl years and years ago.

The Phillies have the same problem with Montgomery as President and main partner although he stepped down to fight cancer.

When you are in a business for 30+ years it is a nice achievement but you can clearly see the business mistakes of having one vision your entire career.

From afar, it seemed like he ran the Phillies better than Bill Giles did.

That is probably true but you see things like holding onto the past, acceptance of mediocrity, and an ivory tower for their decisions.  They got lucky on their WS run, the teams for the next two years were better but fell short.

In terms of the NFL you see the ivory tower that they cannot do wrong and that their way of business is correct.  No outside influence as evidenced with the independent panel which is headed by someone who previously worked with the NFL and two owners but no women.  Goodell seems fine with the punishments and code of conduct in the CBA and is resistant to change.

A huge step forward would be admitting that the Code of Conduct and suspensions are a problem and that they need to renegotiate these issues in light of current events.  

This is my usual dumbass thought for the day, but could Rice sue the NFL for some buggered up form of Double Jeopardy?.. I *know* it's not DJ, but it's the best way I could describe the situation, at the moment. If anyone could tell me a better word to describe it, I would be grateful? Kurt, do you happen to have the answer, by chance?

Double Jeopardy is a legal procedural defense.   The NFL as an entity renders that null and void since:

1) It is a private association and a private league with its own by-laws.

2) Rice is subject to the same collecitive bargaining agreement that binds the Players Union and the League.  The League agrees to salary terms while the Players Union agrees to obey the league bylaws.

Always be mindful of corporate culture when you consider taking a job.  

Yeah, I meant to mention that I know that NFL Rules are not equal to Government Laws. I had it in my head, but I didn't put pen to paper in this case. I was just wondering if Rice had a case, other than an appeal.

almost every woman I've ever dealt with has hit me harder than she hit him just joking around

Perhaps it's time to ask why we as a society accept that it's OK for women to punch guys hard while just "joking around".

Because it's super low on the list of problems that arise between men and women?

I would think Rice could file a suit for defamation of character, strange as that sounds.  But it's clear he didn't lie about his actions, and Goodell based the indefinite suspension with the supposed lying as a key component.

What if Goodell is shown the door and Rice just sues him and not the NFL itself? Eh, he probably won't do it no matter what. I'm sure in his eyes, the sooner this is put in the past, the better.I knew Rice may have had some form of a grivance, but couldn't get into my head as to what. Defamation of Character seems to fit. It was just a thought.

This is my usual dumbass thought for the day, but could Rice sue the NFL for some buggered up form of Double Jeopardy?.. I *know* it's not DJ, but it's the best way I could describe the situation, at the moment. If anyone could tell me a better word to describe it, I would be grateful? Kurt, do you happen to have the answer, by chance?

Double Jeopardy is a legal procedural defense.   The NFL as an entity renders that null and void since:

1) It is a private association and a private league with its own by-laws.

2) Rice is subject to the same collecitive bargaining agreement that binds the Players Union and the League.  The League agrees to salary terms while the Players Union agrees to obey the league bylaws.

Always be mindful of corporate culture when you consider taking a job.  

The CBA does include a "double jeopardy"-like clause when it comes to suspensions, however.  So, if he can show he didn't lie, Rice most definitely has a claim under the CBA against the NFL for increasing his suspension.

Does Adrian Peterson go here now too?

All I can tell you is, if you're already annoyed by the "Ray Rice has got a right to defend himself" crowd, you might wanna turn and look the other way when the "AP has a right to discipline his child/I was hit with a switch or belt as a child and I turned out alright" crowd comes out for that one...

You know things are wrong when the Cavs have the only positive headline.

I thought the one about that South African guy was the best. He did that shit just last year and is getting ready to hanged. That's a civilized justice system.