DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

Tenay's contract is either already expired or is expiring soon, so you may get your wish for a Tenay-less TNA.

Sounds like it. Just read that about 2 seconds before I saw your post. I hope its true. Some people have said that Tenay might call the NJPW show with JR and I REALLY hope that is not the case. No more Mike Tenay calling my pro wrestling. He and Taz need to retire from the booth asap. With that said, Josh Matthews is NOT the answer and shouldn't be in the booth either...unless the goal, even while on a new network, is to look and sound like WWE.

By Mike Johnson on 2014-11-21 12:02:12

A number of Destination America executives were at the TNA Headquarters in Nashville, TN discussing ways the company can be integrated into the Network and different plans the two sides can work together.

The plan is a complete reboot of the look and feel of Impact Wrestling from the bottom up when the series debuts in January. An official launch date for the series is still being locked in.

It wasn't unnoticed that Destination America's Twitter account jumped over 1,000 followers immediately after the TNA announcement was made.

There's talk that the December tapings, if they take place, may be in Michigan. TNA is working out details right now before making a decision whether to tape in December or January. If they intend to tape in December, they need to get tickets on sale ASAP obviously.

"It wasn't unnoticed that Destination America's Twitter account jumped over 1,000 followers immediately after the TNA announcement was made.

There's talk that the December tapings, if they take place, may be in Michigan. TNA is working out details right now before making a decision whether to tape in December or January. If they intend to tape in December, they need to get tickets on sale ASAP obviously."

LOL.  Big 1,000 follower jump.  And why do they need to get tickets on sale? They are only going to sell maybe 100 then paper the shit out of the place.  

Social media numbers are a joke, that one doubly so, and are only taken "seriously" by marketing assholes who lie to themselves to justify their existence.  They have a big marketing circle jerk where they throw out follower numbers and bandy about terms like "brand," "synergy," "mission" and "engage."

• Like 1

Haven't watched any Destination America since noticing earlier in the week that it is indeed part of my cable package.  I have flipped by a couple times and looked at the channel listings for the rest of the day.  LOl.  My god, is this a low-rent channel.  Lots of hillbillies broken up by prison ink shows and cheapo reality shows about ghosts and monsters.  Spike looks classier by comparison - and, no, I haven't forgotten that Spike was the home of Manswers and Blue Mountain State. 

Nothing against TNA.  If you want to keep the lights on, you take the best deal you can make.  But it's going to be really easy to simply ignore that TNA is on.  I've fallen out of the habit of watching TNA.  I doubt airing Prison Ink as a lead-in is going to make me change my mind.

I'm kinda of the opinion that they did everything they could to make a go of it, didn't succeed, and this may have been the obvious time to shutter the promotion.  This move seems... desperate.  I don't really see an end-game here.  Going to be hard to grow a promotion when it airs on a channel no one watches.  This will probably drop them behind ROH, won't it?  Hell, I'm not sure Lucha Underground won't end up being the better tv deal.

Annnnddddd I've always thought Roode was an example of people buying into the booking. Okay look, eh on the charisma end and has a skill set that you couldn't pick out of a line up. Not terrible but there are at least 10 guys you could get more out of if you pushed instead.

TNA's Dolphin Ziggler, if you will.

• Like 2

Dolph Ziggler has some sort of weird natural charisma, though. He stays over no matter what, and in front of a modern WWE crowd, the only answer for that is that he's charismatic.

Roode isn't nearly as charismatic, not anywhere in the same league as someone like Ziggler (or even someone like Kofi, who has stayed fairly well over with a portion of the crowd even after doing pretty much nothing the past five years). I do think that he's a perfectly fine heel champ for an organization TNA's size. He does need a mouthpiece in lieu of a full charisma transplant, but he's fine in the ring and looks like a guy who fits being champ when he dresses in his suit and tie. 

Dolph's gimmick is "athletic showoff who shows how many cool moves and bumps he can do." It's a weird kind of meta-gimmick: "Look at how good I am at some of the aspects of the art of professional wrestling." I mean, 1995 Shawn Michaels does that very same gimmick way better than Dolph could ever dream of, but that's Dolph's gimmick.

Kofi's gimmick is "jolly smilin' black guy." He's somewhere above early '90s Koko B. Ware at executing that gimmick. 

Roode's gimmick is "skilled top-level wrestler who wants to be champ because of the money it brings in/the accolades/the title of being the best." Like Flair or Bockwinkel except without any of the charisma at all. That's what a good manager is for, though. 

Tenay's contract is either already expired or is expiring soon, so you may get your wish for a Tenay-less TNA.

Sounds like it. Just read that about 2 seconds before I saw your post. I hope its true. Some people have said that Tenay might call the NJPW show with JR and I REALLY hope that is not the case. No more Mike Tenay calling my pro wrestling. He and Taz need to retire from the booth asap. With that said, Josh Matthews is NOT the answer and shouldn't be in the booth either...unless the goal, even while on a new network, is to look and sound like WWE.

The answer to replacing Tenay is Jeremy Borash. Everytime he's done Impact or a PPV, he's done a pretty good job. They can put EC3 with him on color since he's going to be laid up for a few months.

Roode worked fine in Beer Money 'cause Storm could be the charisma for the team. Roode as a solo act needs a manager.

Dolph's anti-charisma does not somehow equal charisma, like some sort of "two negatives make a positive" deal. He's a great wrestler, but just charisma-free. Dude needed a manager years ago. Flair would be perfect if WWE could count on him. 

Kofi's just a guy clogging up a roster spot best used for someone who MIGHT actually become popular.

The answer to replacing Tenay is Jeremy Borash. Everytime he's done Impact or a PPV, he's done a pretty good job. They can put EC3 with him on color since he's going to be laid up for a few months.

This needs to happen.

Borash and Tenay (on Explosion last year) or Borash and Taz (on Explosion for about two weeks last year) are both better than Tenay and Taz. But Borash and Spud (on Explosion last month) are better than either.

In other news, I'm the only one on the board who watches Explosion. And even then, I haven't watched it since like July.

Borash and Tenay (on Explosion last year) or Borash and Taz (on Explosion for about two weeks last year) are both better than Tenay and Taz. But Borash and Spud (on Explosion last month) are better than either.

In other news, I'm the only one on the board who watches Explosion. And even then, I haven't watched it since like July.

No you're not.

Usually I binge watch a few weeks at a time just like I do with everything else. SInce you haven't watched it since July that means I'm actually the only one of the board that watches Xplosion.

Yeah, I can't see how anyone can honestly say that Dolph has no charisma. I don't like him, but he makes people care about him. Lots of people. 

He's been the same asshole who slams his own head off the mat since 2009. Nothing has changed for the guy. Again, if someone keeps telling you how you should about something, you either realize they are full of shit or eventually you believe it. It took him FOREVER to get consistent reactions, but that doens't change that he has awkward silence in his promos and shouldn't be talking.

If Ziggles isn't anti-charisma, then can we agree that he has no natural personality? From his taunts who look like someone randomly hitting the joystick in No Mercy to boost their gauge to all three of his facial expressions (which is his REALLY INTENSE! face, generic smile with no emotion behind it, and of course, sleeping face as he sells for 5 seconds before popping up for the next spot). I can't think of a guy on the roster who tries to so damn hard to prove he isn't just some dude you couldn't pick out of a line up.

• Like 1