DVDVR Message Board

TNA NEWS and DISCUSSION THREAD

jaedmc

I wish I had saved more of my tapes of the block of wrestling back then. I remember a short lived tv show from when Tiny Frazier was trying to reopen Gulf Coast Championship Wrestling. Mike Boyette and Frazier were the only names.

I was going to make a joke about Mike Boyette not being a name but then it occurred to me that I've actually heard of him, which is more than can be said for Tiny Frazier.

Having no idea what you're specifically referring to, I'm just going to say it was when she got pregnant.

I was remarking on her appearance during the "top moments" broadcast, where it looked like someone had put silly putty on a picture of Christy Hemme that had been run through a copier 20 times and used that for a face replacement surgery on someone who was the victim of a bath salt chimpanzee attack.

Hyperbole aside: she just didn't look quite herself. I know there are some people that hi-def does ZERO favors for *koff*koff*AngelinaLove*koff*, so maybe that's the case?

the #1 moment on the countdown.

Speaking of this countdown, I randomly happened upon the end of the last one and had absolutely no idea what I was watching. I think it was #11. All I can remember was that Sting begged Hogan to help him and when he helped him, the announcers were shocked that Hogan was turning on his own group but how did Hogan get beat up? Wouldn't it have been by his own group? Why would it be shocking that he was attacking people that must've attacked him?

Speaking of this countdown, I randomly happened upon the end of the last one and had absolutely no idea what I was watching. I think it was #11. All I can remember was that Sting begged Hogan to help him and when he helped him, the announcers were shocked that Hogan was turning on his own group but how did Hogan get beat up? Wouldn't it have been by his own group? Why would it be shocking that he was attacking people that must've attacked him?

It was immediately after Sting vs. Hogan at Bound for Glory 2011. Sting had just defeated Hogan, the group ran out to beat down Sting afterwards. Hogan was recovering in the corner from the match, Sting crawled to Hulk for help (One of the stories leading up to the match was Sting wanting to bring back the "real" Hogan). That combined with the power of Hulkamania led to the shirt tear and all time great crowd pop as Hogan turned face and saved Sting from Immortal, taking out all the heels. Would be in my top 2-3 TNA moments, with Aries' title win being #1.. disappointed that was like #19 in the countdown. the #1 being Bully/Dixie was certainly awful.

It was immediately after Sting vs. Hogan at Bound for Glory 2011. Sting had just defeated Hogan, the group ran out to beat down Sting afterwards. Hogan was recovering in the corner from the match, Sting crawled to Hulk for help (One of the stories leading up to the match was Sting wanting to bring back the "real" Hogan). That combined with the power of Hulkamania led to the shirt tear and all time great crowd pop as Hogan turned face and saved Sting from Immortal, taking out all the heels. Would be in my top 2-3 TNA moments, with Aries' title win being #1.. disappointed that was like #19 in the countdown. the #1 being Bully/Dixie was certainly awful.

I always hated that bit because it literally made no sense.

Eric Bischoff hitting his own son (with a chair?) was the tipping point for Hogan.

Between Impact, the Impact replay, Unlocked and now this there's going to be at least 7 hours of TNA every week on the new channel. That's a whole lot of TNA...

5 hours.

Impact Wrestling: Unlocked is the replay of the previous night's Impact with some new Tenay content added.

Correction: Unlocked is the replay of the previous week's Impact with new Tenay content.

Are TNA still taping their One Night Only events for 2015?, or are they just doing a few big events like Bound for Glory etc?

Probably the same as the past couple of years.  Four live, rest taped.

They've still got a couple in the can from this year.

Of course, they're giving away Lockdown.  It's the only PPV that does any numbers for them.  Not great numbers but better than the rest of their PPV output for the year.

I am amused that they're doing it in the Manhattan Center where it sounds like a chore just to get the ring into the building much less a six-sided steel cage.  No room for the lowering cage roof gimmick either.

Of course, they're giving away Lockdown.  It's the only PPV that does any numbers for them.  Not great numbers but better than the rest of their PPV output for the year.

I am amused that they're doing it in the Manhattan Center where it sounds like a chore just to get the ring into the building much less a six-sided steel cage.  No room for the lowering cage roof gimmick either.

Oh it is. There's only a small elevator up to the seventh floor where the Manhattan Center is. I doubt TNA pays their ring crew enough to carry stuff up all those stairs. They did manage to take down one of the chandelier's and hang the tag titles off of it for the three way ladder match. But yeah no way they can lower the cage lid.

TNA has worked itself in beleiving that BFG is its biggest show of the year despite Lockdown (from reports) usually having higher attendance and buyrates. Giving Lockdown away on free TV is puzzling. Lockdown, Slammiversary, BFG, and one more PPV (get away from the old names) would/should be enough. TNA could at least make some money. Does TNA still have details with inDemand,etc. or can TNA go completely digital now (stream on youtube, etc.)? For a company that is going to be cutting down on shooting dates, touring, etc. it would be smart to start looking into digital formats for 2016.

From a recent Dixie Carter interview:

“For so many years, I’ve caught so much negative flack, people saying that all we do is hire WWE people. The truth of the matter is, if you look at the WWE roster of late, they’re full of TNA talent even if that means a Sting, Hulk Hogan or a Rob Van Dam, Ric Flair. That’s a passé complaint.

“When you only have two leagues there’s only so many talent that you can find that are on a worldwide level. I think the tide has turned and WWE is taking our talent of late, not the reverse of that. It’s just the way it’s been.”

Link

-----

• Like 1

Dixie Carter should try her best to NOT be a carny. She cannot out carny-carny and Vince McMahon is as carny as they come. When people talk about TNA bringing in WWE talent. They are not talking about guys who came into WWE, had a cup of coffee, and left. The fans are talking about guys who made their names in WWE, WCW, ECW, etc. TNA is not out there looking for the next John Cena, Batista, Edge, and Randy Orton- the company is only interested in buying those guys. Big difference. The only person in WWE that can be branded a 'TNA Guy' is Xavier Woods and MAYBE to an extent Ron Killings (if we completely ignore his un-eventful first run). TNA could have played hardball earlier on and had guys like Rusev, Reigns, Ambrose, Cesaro, Ziggler, Rollins, and Harper on its roster- but the company was too focused on making sure Mr. Kennedy, The Outsiders, Hogan, Sting, Angle, RVD, Flair, The Hardys, Team 3D, Booker T, Steiner, etc. were signed regardless of price, superstar commitment, etc.

It's shit like the above quote that continues to give me confidence that TNA will NEVER turn around and will never amount to anything more than being WWE-lite. After all, the owner of the company wants it that way.

• Like 2

It appears Rob Terry is gone from TNA as he has been moved to the alumni section on TNA website along with Team 3D and Brittany. Coincidentally, The Freak is no longer listed as a member of the Menagerie.

EC3 and Abyss have signed new TNA deals.

From a recent Dixie Carter interview:

“For so many years, I’ve caught so much negative flack, people saying that all we do is hire WWE people. The truth of the matter is, if you look at the WWE roster of late, they’re full of TNA talent even if that means a Sting, Hulk Hogan or a Rob Van Dam, Ric Flair. That’s a passé complaint.

“When you only have two leagues there’s only so many talent that you can find that are on a worldwide level. I think the tide has turned and WWE is taking our talent of late, not the reverse of that. It’s just the way it’s been.”

Link

-----

I'm amazed someone could be that obtuse.