DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 3

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of USC, is this year's USC-- last year's Miami?  They both beat a highly-ranked team early in the season (Stanford/Florida) in a game they shouldn't have won.  Florida losing by continually turning the ball over and Stanford by their inability to put points on the board when they are in scoring position.  Combine the big win with a pretty winnable schedule which over-rates them before the big showdown games late in the season where they get exposed.

Speaking of USC, is this year's USC-- last year's Miami?  They both beat a highly-ranked team early in the season (Stanford/Florida) in a game they shouldn't have won.  Florida losing by continually turning the ball over and Stanford by their inability to put points on the board when they are in scoring position.  Combine the big win with a pretty winnable schedule which over-rates them before the big showdown games late in the season where they get exposed.

Decent comparison but I think most observers saw the USC/Stanford game for what it was - Stanford essentially defeating themselves.  They moved the ball all over the place and then gagged.  It's not like USC dominated or even looked like the better team.

Decent comparison but I think most observers saw the USC/Stanford game for what it was - Stanford essentially defeating themselves.  They moved the ball all over the place and then gagged.  It's not like USC dominated or even looked like the better team.

I agree.  And with that said, they still rank them #9 in the country.  If they can get by Arizona St, they have 2 months to inch up the rankings before the UCLA and Notre Dame games.  Many people aren't in love with those teams either.  They could be in the top 5 by then.

A ton of Penn State kids are celebrating at the football stadium tonight. The police are gearing up for the fairly regular riot at Penn State.

This is why they needed to shut down that program.

I went to college about 20 miles from State College. That region is brutal in so many ways. And there is almost nothing to do in that town, or within 2 hours (although I did see Public Enemy, Ice T, and House of Pain there back in '92).

Old joke: how are a porcupine and Beaver Stadium alike?

They're both full of pricks.

• Like 1

I'm going to the Bama/Southern MIss game tomorrow. Pretty excited, even though I know EXACTLY how that shit is going to go down.

It was touch and go trying to find reasonable tickets for a bit there, but an ex-player acquaintance came through in the clutch.

I'm going to the Bama/Southern MIss game tomorrow. Pretty excited, even though I know EXACTLY how that shit is going to go down.

It was touch and go trying to find reasonable tickets for a bit there, but an ex-player acquaintance came through in the clutch.

I'm legitimately curious (and I realize it'll be a moot point by the middle of the 1st quarter but)...  who are you rooting for?

I'm legitimately curious (and I realize it'll be a moot point by the middle of the 1st quarter but)... who are you rooting for?

Lane Kiffen cam

I had planned on repping USM all the way, but since I'm sitting in the old players section, it's probably in my best interests to wear crimson and sit the fuck down to avoid getting my ass whipped by Shaun Alexander.

I guess I'm rooting for Southern to be competitive for a quarter before Alabama takes over and dominates. I think that would make me feel good about everybody's day.

I had planned on repping USM all the way, but since I'm sitting in the old players section, it's probably in my best interests to wear crimson and sit the fuck down to avoid getting my ass whipped by Shaun Alexander.

I guess I'm rooting for Southern to be competitive for a quarter before Alabama takes over and dominates. I think that would make me feel good about everybody's day.

I have a hard time sitting through non-conference blow outs anymore. That may change if/when I have kids because it's just a friendlier environment.

Hell, I went to Arkansas/Bama last year and left the second Bama jumped up 21-0 (so early second quarter?). Granted, I didn't pay for my ticket.

The only reason I went to Auburn's homecoming game last year was because I was picking up my tickets for the Georgia/Bama games from the ticket office.

Granted that Maryland doesn't have a really good defense but I think we have something special in West Virginia's offense.  Clint Trickett has been incredible this year and we got some real speed demons at receiver.   I am shocked how impressive this team is playing.    They might be a surprise team in the Big 12   :D

I have no vested interest in any game this week save UGA/SC which is under another 50 minute lightning delay, so I am going with Goal Line which is not a bad way to follow a week of uninteresting matchups.

South Carolina is playing a closer to what I expect out of the Gamecocks with a dramatic improvement in tackling compared to the Texas A&M game.

Looks like EVA got his wish with USM taking an early 3-0 lead.

I actually first laughed when I saw that Boston College's coaches were wearing white shirts that have a red frilly design on the shoulders. I then remembered it was referring to a lacrosse athlete who went to the school and lost his life during 9/11 and I suddenly felt like a real horse's ass.

Then again I also laughed at the idea of maybe the worst team in the Big 10 Conference (which is saying something this year) going toe to toe with Notre Dame. I just looked at NBC at right before halftime it's Purdue 14, Notre Dame 10. The joke's on me.

The slate of games going into today did not look promising so I am glad Red Zone is a thing. Of course like always there's upsets and cool finishes, so that helps.