DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 3

Dolfan in NYC

LOL Ohio State.  GO HOKIES~!

William and Mary kicked the shit out of my alma mater, Hampton University, on Saturday.  I know we traditionally suck at football and are better at basketball but losses are never easy to accept.

LOL Ohio State.  GO HOKIES~!

I can't decide it today is a better day than when Dayton knocked them out of the basketball tourny or not.  

God, it's like a pleasure overload.  I expect Urban will fake another heart attack to jump to another school here soon.

Bruins, despite thinking that it's 1998 again and that defense is something that the PAC-12 just doesn't do, should beat Texas. UCLA is traditionally tough out of conference.

UT also has an atrocious offensive line, no speed at the offensive skill positions, and a starting QB who is badly limited and will likely end up at another position once we have any semblance of depth. UCLA only needs 2 TDs to win.

Oh man. I was traveling on Saturday and forgot to relay this gem from Lane Kiffin during the Bama/FAU game:

To Bama backup QB Jake Coker after his first drive resulted in only a field goal (and after all 3 of Blake Sims' drives had ended in TDs), "Don't kick a field goal this time. It's embarrassing."

CHOO CHOO baby.

Class move by the NCAA to toss this out there while the news is all over Ray Rice stuff.  

Yeah, integrity.  No one got raped in the last couple years, so that's an improvement!  

When the punishments were handed out in 2012, I swore I would never watch college sports again because they were hardly worthy of the phrase "slap on the wrist" compared to what PSU should have gotten.  To see that all the sanctions were removed so soon makes me feel vindicated in that decision.

Of course I live in Pennsylvania, and anyone in the Philly area who gives a shit about college sports is likely a Penn State fan.  Ugh.

Dolfan!  I need animal GIFs so I don't vomit!

• Like 1

Anything less than shutting down the program for at least one season was unacceptable.

I hate the "you're punishing students" line. The only punishment the players got was the inability to play in the Outback Steakhouse Chik-Fil-A Independence Bowl.  If they shut the team for a season, there are plenty of other football factories those kids could have gone to. Or, if they wanted to stay at Penn State for the actual reasons you should go to college (academics, friends, etc.) then they could choose to stay, just without playing football for a bit.

The problem went well beyond Sandusky. Anytime you end up with a system like that -- where football becomes so influential that the football coach becomes the most powerful person at the institution becomes the football coach -- is problematic. And this was the most grotesque, because protecting a dumb football team became more important than child rape.

I know it's way easier said than done, but Penn State's board should have willingly shut the program down for a year in order to get their priorities in order and to start from scratch. And if they didn't, the NCAA should have shut that down since it's supposed to serve as the moral compass for the intersection of athletics and universities.

This seems like a giant wink-wink from the start.

• Like 1

June Jones has resigned at SMU. The first coaching move of the season seems to come earlier and earlier every year.

Not a great surprise to see Jones out at SMU though. Obviously, he flushed most of his goodwill after his flirtation with Arizona State two seasons back, and the team slowly cratered over the last season and 1/6th. He was done there, and he knew it.

Now the countdown to his return to Hawaii is on.

When the punishments were handed out in 2012, I swore I would never watch college sports again because they were hardly worthy of the phrase "slap on the wrist" compared to what PSU should have gotten.  To see that all the sanctions were removed so soon makes me feel vindicated in that decision.

Of course I live in Pennsylvania, and anyone in the Philly area who gives a shit about college sports is likely a Penn State fan.  Ugh.

Dolfan!  I need animal GIFs so I don't vomit!

9eh8pgT.gif

• Like 4

9eh8pgT.gif

Just what I needed.  Thanks!

A ton of Penn State kids are celebrating at the football stadium tonight. The police are gearing up for the fairly regular riot at Penn State.

This is why they needed to shut down that program.

What, the PSU fans comparing the sanctions to 9/11 when they were imposed didn't clinch it for you?

• Like 1

I really believe that PSU fans may be one of the lowest form an of life on earth. Absolutely the worst sports fans ever.

Penn State meatheads are all over the Philly area. It's truly awful. I get sports fandom, obviously, and college sports. But there are plenty of houses that fly Penn State flags on flagpoles and have interior designs of their entire houses in PSU garb. I would venture to say that 75% of the biggest tools in the Delaware Valley went to Penn State.

There are very few things I hate but Penn State is the at the top of the list.

The only reason this was announced now is because a trustee and Governor is going to be slaughtered in the November election and he needs all the help he can get during September or the RNC will walk with funds.

What a disgrace, this is why I cannot stand college football.