DVDVR Message Board

September 2014 Football Thread

cubbymark

Wolfsburg battered Leverkusen today, Dortmund lost in Mainz and Bayern was held to a 0-0 draw in Hamburg. After four matchdays, undefeated SC Paderborn are leading the table. Since their next game is in Munich and they are level on points, it will only be until Tuesday most likely, still a great day for the smallest city in the Bundesliga.

Dortmund has another injured player added to the list, Mhkitaryan will be out for four weeks. They just don´t seem to catch a break. Title race might already be over, Bayern will very likely have the usual "Post-World-Cup" starting troubles until they regroup and go out on a path of destruction.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Ulloa is in great form.  He won't be at Leicester long. 

Sad to say, but Gerrard is finished.  Great servant, but time's up if Liverpool wants to win the league.  Lucas probably isn't the guy to carry him in midfield either. 

Nice to see Big Vic Wanyama score the winner for Southampton.  Would love to see them keep this form up.  Pelle is fantastic for them, a great buy.  Forster playing very well between the sticks, too.

Yep, midfield needs a revamping and Gerrard should feature every so often but not every game. There were times last year where he looked well past it but then there were times where he was our best player. He's still got something to contribute but every week? I'm not so sure. I commented on Lucas' decline in the August thread, I believe it was. Henderson is tireless and good at everything but great at nothing other than closing down. He's still improving though but he needs to be surrounded with a strong defensive-minded midfielder, I think. The backline isn't great, neither is Mignolet, but they're exposed far too often by Gerrard and/or Lucas's defensive deficiencies. Apparently Brendan doesn't rate Emre Can which is kind of crazy from the bits I've seen of him at Leverkusen and even his friendly form. Sakho is another one that should be playing every week but isn't Brendan's choice, so who knows how long he'll be here. Gangly and awkward as hell but he's ultra aggressive, a tower of strength, and at least makes runs with the ball unlike the other two CBs who are content to ding it around the back or hoof it. The per 90 team stats with and without Skrtel are pretty damning against Martin.

Vardy was abusing the United backline with his aggression. Blackett needed to be stronger on that challenge in midfield but he looks like a stick man.

Lastly, mad props to Pellegrini for calling out Jose's small time tactics. I don't like how City got to where they are but at least they allow their prized players to play and not shackle them up every other week.

Everything back to usual in the Bayern-...excuse me, Bundesliga. Bayern beat Paderborn 4-0, Mainz with a 2-2 draw, Hoffenheim with a 3-3. Schalke won in Bremen, basically getting themselves out of the biggest trouble and setting up some major problems for winless Werder Bremen.

Today we will see if Leverkusen and Dortmund can bounce back and if Hamburger SV will be able to build onto the goalless draw they got at home against Bayern. They face a tough opponent in Borussia Moenchengladbach, though.

It means "old man" in Japanese. I felt it in my blood, I needed to go back to my roots. OH-YAH-JI.

Those pelanties were intense, though. Boro were game, full credit. On the flip side, it could be a long season if things don't start to change and change soon.

Speaking of "what happened to him?" Still no word on our boy, The Natural? I'm worried, guys.

Everything back to usual in the Bayern-...excuse me, Bundesliga. Bayern beat Paderborn 4-0, Mainz with a 2-2 draw, Hoffenheim with a 3-3. Schalke won in Bremen, basically getting themselves out of the biggest trouble and setting up some major problems for winless Werder Bremen.

Bayern ran through Paderborn.

Okazaki has been amazing this season.

Schalke have really sucked this season, but that was an awesome win.

Today we will see if Leverkusen and Dortmund can bounce back and if Hamburger SV will be able to build onto the goalless draw they got at home against Bayern. They face a tough opponent in Borussia Moenchengladbach, though.

Dortmund barely drew with Stuttgart, Leverkusen and Gladbach got by and sucks Wolfsburg fell to Hertha.

Bayern ran through Paderborn.

Okazaki has been amazing this season.

Schalke have really sucked this season, but that was an awesome win.

[:::]

Dortmund barely drew with Stuttgart, Leverkusen and Gladbach got by and sucks Wolfsburg fell to Hertha.

Great timing for Schalke on finding back their form, because this week sees the great derby between them and Dortmund. Dortmund has been a mixed back at the start of this season, they never looked entirely convincing, but they only looked really week against Leverkusen in their first match. They could have gotten a result in Mainz and they could have turned it around against Stuttgart.

Bayern is not at their top level, but thanks to the opposition they could run away with it once more. The biggest hope of basically everyone involved was to get a headstart at the beginning of the season to prevent a repeat of the last two Bundesliga years. Bayern play in Cologne this weekend, I´m pretty sure they did quite well there over the last few games.

I agree tat Okazaki´s form has been outstanding.

Wolfsburg has really underperformed so far, they seemed very strong partially and periodically in their matches, but some of their stuff was just not cutting it, especially on defense.

Had they gotten a draw in their season opener in Munich (well within reach I might say), who knows had they´d gotten out of the blocks, but as of right now it´s "would have, should have, could have."

I love watching Crystal Palace play at home so it's a treat that they are playing Leicester today.  CP's fan's get as vocal as any that I've seen and it makes it a really fun watch.  That said, the pitch is in terrible condition there.  Both sides are having their issues with their corners due to slipping.  I know the pitch is going to get torn up during the course of any match but the divots are pretty big out there.  I hope no one turns an ankle.

If Ulloa continues his hot start, would you sell him to a bigger club?  He's been a majority of the offense this year so I'm not sure where they would get scoring from but you have to sell high right?

Finally, Drinkwater goes down in my book of great soccer names right beside Mertesacker, Hulk, and Kaka (snicker).

Story of the season:

United looks awesome on attack.

They look like absoulte shit in defense.

OH LORD OF FUCKING LIGHT ROONEY, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING WITH THAT SHIT??????????

Pretty happy Tottenham found a point out of that Arsenal game. Didn't really have many chances to score at all, so to come out 1-1 is an escape, really.

Referee did seem the type that gets a bit aroused about pulling out his yellow card though. Don't think it did the late minutes of the game any favors with so many players thinking about it.