DVDVR Message Board

September 2014 Football Thread

cubbymark

Just saw the penalty/red card in Italy/Netherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_xeEGURy1A

Weaksauce red card.

I think it´s generally questionable to give red cards in friendlies. At least as long as you don´t start a pier six brawl on the pitch, there should be no send-offs imo. This was at the very worst a red because Martins Indi was the last man, and I wouldn´t send somebody off in a friendly for that, especially in a time where international friendlies don´t have the meaning they used to have.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Everyone involved seems to be crooked in some way or another. Even the hardcore delusional fans are wary now.

The Large Hadron Collider couldn't find the violin I'll play for them.

;)

Coincidentally I'm reading Rangers FC: We Don't Do Walking Away, about their season in the fourth tier. Pretty neat read actually, just for all the wacky club nicknames. GALABANKIES. THE BULLY WEE. DOONHAMERS. It all sounds like a Scottish superhero team.

• Like 1

Bully Wee sounds like a Mexican mini version of Bully Ray. Book it, AAA!!!!!

Fucking Mike Ashley. Fucks up Newcastle, apparently is fucking up Rangers (well, him and everyone else who takes power). Why can't he go fuck up a team I hate?

I played 90 minutes in the wind and the rain last night. My knees are very displeased with me today.

Just read Diego Costa is injured and Munir el Haddadi will be taking his NT spot which. I'm guessing he plays with them in their upcoming friendly against Macedonia.

Sooooo pumped. Munir has been awesome so far this season with Barça and Costa hasn't been exactly lighting the world on fire when playing with the NT.

That's actually kind of amazing. A few months ago nobody but the most hardcore Barcelona fans would have even known who he was. Pretty meteoric stuff, even if it's probably a token selection while someone else plays.

Ronaldinho signed with Queretaro of the Liga MX, despite the rumors of him having signed with a club from the Indian football league like Alessandro Del Pierro. He'll be wearing #49. There also rumors of him signing with Stoke in the summer transfer window, but nothing came up.

I don't pay attentiom to the Liga MX, but I'll try and watch their games on Univision Deportes when Queretaro play to see Ronaldinho. I know he's old and not the same as before, but he's my favorite player and it's fun seeinf him still show signs of himself from every now and then.

Also Di María and Florentino Perez have been taking shots at each other recently. Florentino claims Di María wanted Ronaldo level money and Di María said Real contacted him before the World Cup final match and asked him to withdraw from it so he wouldn't risk injury.

Apologies if this was already mentioned by Fox Sports is going to do a Red Zone type coverage for the Champions League

If red-zone channels worked so well for N.F.L. games, why not for soccer? Soccer games have less scoring action, but there is plenty of anticipation about goals and lots of excitement at each end of the field. An event in which multiple games are played simultaneously could produce enormous opportunities for a red-zone soccer channel.

That is what Fox Sports will do during the group stage of the UEFA Champions League with Multimatch 90, which will show up to eight games at a time as they are played simultaneously throughout Europe on 12 days, starting on Sept. 16 and ending on Dec. 10. A producer and a director in Los Angeles will curate the best action from the 32-team tournament, live and on replay, as rapidly as possible.

NY Times article

• Like 1

Henry with another gem vs the sporks tonight. I'm really hoping we make the knockout round of the CCL because if we do there's a decent chance he graces us with one more season.

Good game to open up Germany´s EURO qualifier-campaign. Two Mueller goals were just about enough to fend off really well-playing Scotsmen. Naismith was very impressive. Incredible workrate and always looked threatening. The second German girl looked like it should have been disallowed. Loew should have reacted earlier, lots of our players seemed to run out of steam after very dominant first half performance. Still, the win seemed well deserved and there should have been one or two more goals for us in there. Marco Reus limping off was something I could have lived without. The Dortmund playmaker looks to have re-injured his ankle. He really had a shitty summer, poor lad.

Mulgrew´s second yellow was immensly stupid and he deserves a good slap to the face for it.

Meanwhile, Portugal lost their home-game to Albania. Quite the upset I´d say.

The pessimism around the English national team is incredible. BBC ran a poll and only 26% of their fans think they can win today.

I mean, I'm not even saying that's far off the mark, Switzerland is tough, it's just amazing how even their own fans don't see a reason for blind faith.

Per BBC, QPR could get kicked all the way down to the Conference if they get relegated.

QPR could be refused future entry into the Championship if they fail to pay a potentially huge fine for breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

Chairman Tony Fernandes has indicated he would appeal against a fine from the Football League, which would be around £54m if losses for Rangers' promotion season matched the £65.4m in 2012-13.

But if the club don't pay, the FL can block entry to its own competitions.