DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXVII

Dolfan in NYC

Spears are shit anyway if they are delivered by anyone not named Goldberg.. 

Just flying shouder tackle the guy to the ribs and let him sell the impact.  Don't grab the dude.

• Like 1

Is there a reason WWE has never done a Batista/Lesnar match? Perhaps Batista is going to be the one to send Lesnar packing and we all will have to "deal with it!". What about The Undertaker coming back for one more match? Is it possible also that Cena/Lesnar II (from 2013 at least) happens and while Lesnar is down and Cena is hurt- Rollins runs in and cashes in on Brock.

Because Lesnar left in '04 and was on Smackdown. Batista was on RAW in not in the single main event picture until a year later.

Spears are shit anyway if they are delivered by anyone not named Goldberg

I think women usually do the best spears. In the WWE, only like Kaitlyn did spears on a regular basis. So, when the other women do them, it's more because of KILL MODE rather than finisher time.

I didn't finish watching the show yet. But Ambrose/Rollins was friggin' nuts. Like, seriously, one of my favorite matches of the year and then some. The lumberjack stipulation really added to the match. It made Ambrose's awesome table run signature spot THAT much more effective and their brawl into the crowd THAT much more out-of-control. I mean, lumberjacks are supposed to keep matches in the ring. Ambrose is so crazy and Rollins is such a coward they couldn't contain them. Rollins winning the way he did was perfect heel sleaze. Ambrose's face for the Curb Stomp was brilliant -- even though Seth turned on him, Dean still loves the dude and it hurts him that he has to kick his head violently into a wrestling mat.

Awesome, awesome match.

• Like 1

Ambrose Rollins was an incredibly novel take on the staid formula of a lumberjack match.

Very fun match from bell to bell. There weren't many rest periods - the two of them managed to break free of the lumberjacks (including a blink and you'll miss it Sandow, dressing up as an actual lumberjack...awesome) and the high spts (for want of a better term) were perfectly judged. Including Ambrose's jump to the outside.

When's hell in a cell? October? Please, for the love of all that is holy, give me Ambrose Rollins in the cell for the briefcase.

Clearly Brock achieved some type of superpower by beating Taker at Mania.

Brock is Jason Voorhees now. You're only going to slow him down temporarily. Shoot him into space? Now, you'll have uber Brock to deal with. Have him dragged down to hell? He'll get resurrected.

• Like 1

Reigns should be doing the Pounce instead of the Spear. The Spear ruins your neck.

And Heath Slater should be the person this gets tested out on, because Slater would find a way to put himself into the third row of the seats.

Rumbling backstage were that Vince was pissed because Brock showed up with no tan.  He locked him in a room for 8 minutes with Hulk Hogan, and Brock came put that gleaming shade of red.  Good show.  Fell asleep during Reigns and Orton.  Watched it back. Orton looked good, but Reigns sucks.  His spear is beyond awful.  It looked like Orton should have gotten up laughing after that piece of shit spear.  Brock/Cena was just something totally different.  The F5 30 seconds in was so awesome.  Loved the match.  If you did not like Ambrose/Rollins then you have no taste in Sports Entertainment.  Great match.  Ambrose is at another level right now, and Rollins picked up the win the way a slimy heel should.  I was impressed by Rusev's selling.  I totally got the vibe that he was in for a turn when Lana was yelling for him to get up after he had no ankle.  Still the fact that he didn't turn makes him an even better heel.  Bray Wyatt, I'm sorry dude....I'm not that into you anymore.  All said and done, good PPV.  The announcing was utter shit.  I find the constant shill for that shit cartoon to be the most annoying part of the show.  

I guess this is what happens when you book a bad ass, maniacal cult leader as just another dude that loses a bunch of big PPV matches. He's not great in singles matches yet but they've done a really piss poor job booking him since the Cena feud. He needed to steamroll guys after losing control of Bryan. Not lose one, win one, lose one shyit. And don't book him or Reigns in long fucking matches yet! They're not ready. Can you imagine if they booked The Undertaker like this in 1991? They've got something special, very special in Bray and need to protect him in order for him to flourish. There's a growing apathy towards him because he's been booked so weakly. I get that not everybody loves his promos, and I admit he peaked with Cena and hasn't been at his best with Jericho, but I think he's a great mouthpiece and has done a brilliant job taking on the gimmick.

• Like 5

I didn't watch, but this sounds like it was a polarizing show.  I've read different people calling Reigns-Orton the best match of the night and the worst match of the night.

Reigns-Orton was fine. It was by no means the match of the night (Ambrose/Rollins or Cena/Bork)  and by no means was it the worst (Steph/Brie).

My calling Steph/Brie the worst of the night is more an indictment of Brie than anything. Steph was in full carry mode, but Brie is just not the person to do this. 

OFFICIAL SUMMERSLAM RECAP

according to my wife who was halfway watching

"RVD is terrible."

"Oh hey, Real World guy! He's a champion?"

And then, after several 'not in the face' and 'screw it I'm leaving' moments: "The Miz is great."

After Dolphin wins: "Aww. Baby, your boyfriend won. You should call him."

"Why is Paige skipping?"

It is explained to her: "Still, now you just have a bunch of chicks skipping."

Paige wins: "So they're gonna milk this one for a few more months, right? I know how this works."

"I want a body like AJ's. I think that's my new goal." Me: *mumbles something incoherent to avoid possible trap*

"Was that David Arquette?"

Rusev and Lana were her favorite part of the show, and she was genuinely sad that Rusev kicked 'that sweet old man.'

"Did Seth Rollins do the ice bucket challenge right before he came out?"

Re: Bray Wyatt's entrance: "Oh wow. See, this is the reason people want to do this job."

re: Jericho's jacket: "WHAT. AWESOME."

re: Jericho's jacket part 2: "Ugh. Way to hide the battery pack. WE CAN SEE IT. WE CAN ALL SEE IT."

She does not forgive this sin for the rest of the match.

Everything Stephanie does: "I love her."

"Did Roman Reigns do the ice bucket challenge with Seth? Also, did he buy his costume at Pacsun?"

Checks phone for 30 seconds. Five minutes after match has ended: "Wait is it over? Who won? With a spear? Spears are stupid. Why does every man I love do a spear?"

(Edge was her #1 Romance before Roman came into her life)

"I have never seen a man sweat that much with nipples that hard. Is he going to kill Cena with his nipples?"

Watching Brock just sweat the fuck all over John got more heat out of her than any amount of heel tactics the entire night. 

• Like 16

Apparently Brock said that he doesn't want to carry around two belts so they're going to give him the new one tonight as a way to get rid of the World title once and for all. In general, I have been against it because I love the World title, but Brock being pissy is as good a storyline reason as any to drop it.

I was pleased overall.  The shit that should've happened actually happened in this PPV.  No dumb last minute smark swerves.

I was predisposed not to like the Lumberjack stips, but if Rollins and Ambrose are booked into a program of escalating violence and outrageous match stips where the blow-off match is some ridiculous barbed wire Hell In A Cell match, I think i would be good with that.

I don't know why people are so worried about Rollins's contract.  It's not like having the contract guarantees a title run anymore.

WWE has already de-mystiqued the MiTB magical briefcase by wasting it on an angle with Sandow only to have him lose his match.   Rollins having a guaranteed shot didn't mean anything special to me regardless of who the champ would be after Summerslam.  The  MiTB briefcase is a macguffin right now.

I am glad that they booked Brock as a fucking monster for once, but it doesn't mean that there aren't any believable contenders other than Cena.  Reigns is nearly as imposing as Lensar even if Roman is green as grass and Ambrose is plain ol' too stupid and defiant to just stay down and die.  I think either one of those guys in the ring with Lesnar should be entertaining dependant on how much each guy is given to work with.

I would love to see the Authority just crap on Rollins right now.  Have them act like 'we got the title, we are done with you' and ignore him for a couple of weeks.  Don't have him turn face but just toss up in his face that he will never beat Brock so just be happy with the briefcase.

• Like 1

What are the chances that Cena doesn't come out tonight and brush off last night's loss with a few jokes? I'm expecting something about how he was hit by so many Germans he thought he was in World War II. Maybe a joke about getting hit by two F-5's without ever hearing a tornado warning.

What are the chances that Cena doesn't come out tonight and brush off last night's loss with a few jokes? I'm expecting something about how he was hit by so many Germans he thought he was in World War II. Maybe a joke about getting hit by two F-5's without ever hearing a tornado warning.

I'm fine with this.  So long as it ends with Brock F5'ing him.