DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've always maintained the real stupidity is that Goldberg, one of just two new main event level stars WCW made during the 93-01 time period, and by far the bigger star of the two, never got a second reign with the title.  I think one ppv ended with him seemingly having won the title, only for it to have been overturned in some manner or another the next night on Nitro.

How do you never go back to Goldberg?

But, if you absolutely, positively had to have Goldberg lose, and you absolutely, positively wanted to protect him, then having him lose to a former world champion (who had a year long run as champ) who is about 5 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier than him, and having it only occur due to outside interference from multiple upper-mid card guys, and the use of a taser...  Well, that's protected.

Hell, I don't even think the Fingerpoke was irredeemable.  You remember Goldberg showing up right at the end of that?  Yeah, if he had ran through Bigelow, Hall, and Nash before getting the big ppv rematch with Hogan around Bash at the Beach time...  That might've worked.  

But one can go crazy trying to parse the booking of WCW. 

I think you all in the last half day have given more thought to all of this than WCW did. Hogan's only interested in putting over Hulk Hogan.Sure the logical thing would have been to build up to a legit Hogan/Goldberg rematch with no bullshit. But even if they did that (say for The Great American Bash in a cage or something), at the last minute Hogan would have used his power and made Goldberg look weak in the process.

I mean hell, look at Hogan now. Despite being 61 and brittle as anything he's trying to con his way into a match with Brock Lesnar just so he can get the win back from the match against him on Smackdown.

Goldberg was doomed the moment he beat Hogan in the Georgia Dome.

• Like 1

I swear I mention this every month, but the Cena/Mysterio title match that happened the same Raw Mysterio won the title, should have been the Summer Slam main event. Such a big face/face main event with the looming threat of CM Punk interference would have been amazing and would have stretched the Punk stuff out long enough to avoid to Nash involvement while still keeping CM Punk relevant because of how hot his angle was. Just have him threaten to show up at Summer Slam by showing up at a Raw or "buying" commercial time to cut a program on the show.

The match we got was great, but I was SHOCKED they put the title back on Cena so quickly. WWE really can be terrible at timing their storylines, and I've always maintained that Raw is a terrible television show. A decent wrestling show at best, but a terrible television show as far as production, plotting, pacing, and characters are concerned.

• Like 1

I think you all in the last half day have given more thought to all of this than WCW did. Hogan's only interested in putting over Hulk Hogan.Sure the logical thing would have been to build up to a legit Hogan/Goldberg rematch with no bullshit. But even if they did that (say for The Great American Bash in a cage or something), at the last minute Hogan would have used his power and made Goldberg look weak in the process.

If there's one thing WCW got right, it was never having Hogan/Goldberg II.  For fuck's sake, you saw what WCW did with Hogan/Warrior II.  Goldberg would have ended up inhaling an ether rag from Buff Bagwell or gotten hit with a woman's shoe. 

Just got back from PWG Battle of Los Angeles NIGHT TWO. One of my favorite wrestling shows I've been to in ages. ACH and Kenny Omega put on my favorite match of the year. About to fall asleep at the keyboard, but I just wanted to put the fact that holy shit, Zach Sabre Jr. is absolutely amazing, into the universe. Just fantastic.

Also, Chris Hero seems to be leaning towards a bruiser type style instead of pretending he's an elbow ninja and had a great match with Matt Sydal. Good stuff.

• Like 1

I mean hell, look at Hogan now. Despite being 61 and brittle as anything he's trying to con his way into a match with Brock Lesnar just so he can get the win back from the match against him on Smackdown.

Goldberg was doomed the moment he beat Hogan in the Georgia Dome.

That's what made the Hogan/HBK match so "epic." Arguably the two biggest bitches in the history of the business, somebody was going to whine. Turns out, it was Shawn seling like Hennig on speed.

I've always thought Vince and Hogan hoodwinked Shawn into thinking it would be a best 2 out of 3 feud. Hogan got his victory and paycheck, then walked the fuck out, like he had always planned to do.

• Like 1

One guy holds spike tombstone

One guy does 450 basically onto his feet but stuffs the piledriver at same time

While I haven't seen that exact move I've seen the Bucks do similar with an arm wringer as a double team spot so it makes sense

Any chance in hell that perpetual nincompoops WCW could've or would've correctly used the same goody two shoes "Olympic Hero" Kurt Angle that was so masterfully introduced in the WWE; well, besides tapping clean to the Human Lego Figure Tazz with two z's as his first loss. Imagine how sanctimonious Angle's "Olympic Hero" could've been if he ended Goldberg's streak clean as a sheet. Then again that's probably giving way too little credit to WWE but more to the point not enough discredit to WCW that they'd have the foggiest how to best utilize a new guy like Angle.

As it is, I would've liked to have seen Sting kept strong enough to be a viable candidate to end the streak. Hart would've been a great story finding a way to beat Goldberg but doesn't WCW come off as bush league by having their unstoppable monster defeated by a guy from the WWE that basically tucked tail and ran from his last major feud with Austin while still up there? Hart's best fit and feuds in WCW seemed to be when he was a smug bastard swapping the US Title with Luger and DDP. Nothing about the way he won the WCW World Title in that tournament really jibed.

• Like 1