DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

On 12/8/2023 at 3:21 PM, The Natural said:

Keep between here as ever please. Today is my Mum's birthday, a trigger event with my mental health issues. I go to my Mum's grave as usual to find people have driven on my Mum. Fucking tire tracks on my Mum. I'm so angry and so upset. Made a mess of my arm as a result. How can people be so fucking thoughtless? Fucking fuming.

Go on to see Mum Christmas Day like we always do to find more tire tracks and dog shit on my Mum's final resting place. Inconsiderate twats. Self-harmed as a result. Me, my Dad and my Sister are individually going to put a complaint in. Fucking awful.

• Sad 6

Backstory: my better half is three classes away from getting her bachelor's and becoming a licensed english teacher. She's presently employed as a teaching assistant.

And it's clear that English teachers are very much needed in this day and age. She received an email from a student that started with the phrase 'yo check it' and proceeded to explain that they'd lost their assignment. No capitalization or punctuation, not even a real greeting.

Edited by Mike Campbell
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2023 at 9:26 PM, The Natural said:

Go on to see Mum Christmas Day like we always do to find more tire tracks and dog shit on my Mum's final resting place. Inconsiderate twats. Self-harmed as a result. Me, my Dad and my Sister are individually going to put a complaint in. Fucking awful.

Listen to  @Kang He has the right idea! That was really F'n awful and you have every right to be absolutely upset about that, but you are worth more than harming yourself. You are a wonderful, good person, please stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Listen to  @Kang He has the right idea! That was really F'n awful and you have every right to be absolutely upset about that, but you are worth more than harming yourself. You are a wonderful, good person, please stay safe.

Thank you xxx.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 11:07 PM, Mike Campbell said:

Backstory: my better half is three classes away from getting her bachelor's and becoming a licensed english teacher. She's presently employed as a teaching assistant.

And it's clear that English teachers are very much needed in this day and age. She received an email from a student that started with the phrase 'yo check it' and proceeded to explain that they'd lost their assignment. No capitalization or punctuation, not even a real greeting.

I’m laughing to myself imagining her student is Ali G.  “ ‘EAR ME NOW…”

Happy New Year, but more importantly, WELCOME TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, MICKEY MOUSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIABiDBq7U

in honor of this moment, i uploaded Steamboat Willie to youtube. it didn't embed, because forum issues. also Disney is still claiming copyright, so you probably can't even watch my video anyway. I assume this is an automatic thing that may or may not be cleared up in the coming days, but eventually it will go through!

• Like 2

Lisa is one of the most important people I've ever met who went way too soon at 26 to cancer. Fuck cancer. Lisa was family to me and I can say the same for her Mum and Brother. Yesterday was Lisa's birthday and I'm kindly invited to her birthday meal every year, it's such an honour. I forgot to take my tea time medication for all my health conditions especially the Cerebral Palsy and I've felt fucking terrible today. I made this post to pay tribute to Lisa, her family and as a PSA announcement not to miss your meds as it's so not worth it. Cheers xxx.

• Like 5

On 1/1/2024 at 11:32 AM, twiztor said:

Happy New Year, but more importantly, WELCOME TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, MICKEY MOUSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIABiDBq7U

in honor of this moment, i uploaded Steamboat Willie to youtube. it didn't embed, because forum issues. also Disney is still claiming copyright, so you probably can't even watch my video anyway. I assume this is an automatic thing that may or may not be cleared up in the coming days, but eventually it will go through!

The silent version of Plane Crazy is also now in the public domain.

• Like 1

I did something to my ankle the other day, my ONLY ankle by the way. Not sure if I sprained it or twisted it or what but it hurts like crazy when I move it. It’s not swollen or anything but I’m trying to stay off it currently, which means laying on the couch and if I need to get up off the couch, I have to use a wheelchair to go anywhere. Having one leg with a bum ankle isn’t fun. Happy New Year to me I suppose.

• Sad 5

We had my aunts over for dinner last night.  We were talking about how I still had my one aunt's 40 year old lazboy armchair and how well it had held up and still had the original upholstery and everything.

So of course as I'm carrying dinner to the table I dump an entire tray of enchiladas directly onto the chair.  Thankfully I got it up quickly before it stained, but my elderly aunts got to hear some colorful language.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Zimbra said:

We had my aunts over for dinner last night.  We were talking about how I still had my one aunt's 40 year old lazboy armchair and how well it had held up and still had the original upholstery and everything.

So of course as I'm carrying dinner to the table I dump an entire tray of enchiladas directly onto the chair.  Thankfully I got it up quickly before it stained, but my elderly aunts got to hear some colorful language.

FORESHADOWING 

On 1/3/2024 at 12:04 PM, brynn9292 said:

I did something to my ankle the other day, my ONLY ankle by the way. Not sure if I sprained it or twisted it or what but it hurts like crazy when I move it. It’s not swollen or anything but I’m trying to stay off it currently, which means laying on the couch and if I need to get up off the couch, I have to use a wheelchair to go anywhere. Having one leg with a bum ankle isn’t fun. Happy New Year to me I suppose.

Ok … ankle update. It’s actually worse today than it has been the past few days. My girlfriend took me to urgent care this morning and I was able to get an x-ray. Guess what? Stress fracture in my foot (at least from what they could tell). So now my ankle and foot are wrapped (which sucks because I have one leg) until I can see a foot & ankle doctor on Tuesday for further diagnosis.

• Sad 4

Just got back from the foot & ankle doctor. Good news and bad news …

Good news is it is indeed a stress fracture in my foot and should hopefully heal on it’s own.

Bad news is that I have to spend the next six weeks in a walking boot until I go back for a follow up. This means I basically will be unable to walk and stuck in my wheelchair for the next six weeks. 

I go for a follow up appointment on Feb 13th and as long as everything looks good I should be able to get out of the boot.

• Sad 4

All right, it's PSA time again, since there isn't a "stupid shit musicans say and do" thread in the music forum, or it would probably single-handedly sink the board due to bandwidth overuse.

But here's Roger Daltrey being a dumb asshole.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/roger-daltrey-science-sceptic

Basically, his argument from ignorance boils down to, "Scientists don't want to cure cancer because they'd be out of a job."  Because evidently, no scientist anywhere has ever lost family members to cancer - or, in my case, practically entire families.

No, sorry Rog, that's not how it works.  This being my wheelhouse, I can tell you instead that we can't and won't cure cancer, ever, because IT'S FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE.  First of all, it's not one monolithic disease.  When you talk about 'curing', do you mean blood cancers?  Solid tumors?  Lung, brain, kidney, ovary, prostate, breast, skin, etc.?  Hey, look at that, when you actually EXAMINE what cancers are, there are thousands of them!  Hell, when you directly analyze someone's DNA, the *tumors themselves* aren't even all one thing; they frequently have a shitload of heterogeneity that is part of A) why they come back and B) why they're so hard to treat.  You've heard of stem cells in your body?  Guess what: cancer ALSO has stem cells.  There are a handful of conditions, relative to the entire field, that have one cause and one treatment and can be, for all intents and purposes, cured, but they are far and away the exception and not the rule.  The rest of the time, all you do is *TREAT*, because it's all you can do.

And why is that all you can do?  Well, that's because if you took a fucking graduate-level molecular biology class, or actually TALKED to literally any of those scientists you think so little of, Rog, you'd learn that you *can't* 'cure' the very method that every species on Earth evolves.  Your DNA polymerases are fantastic at reproducing copies of genomes, but they aren't perfect.  A lot of the time, those mistakes mean nothing - there's degeneracy built into DNA code that ends up mostly working in our favor - but a decent chunk of the time, those mistakes mean a straight-up error: a protein gets made incorrectly, or not at all, or truncated, or a dozen other things, and somewhere down the line, that can become one of a bunch of different conditions: Parkinson's, most cancers, all sorts of shit starts that way.  But once in a while, sometimes, those mistakes in replication (among other mistakes) actually result in a *benefit* to how a given system functions, and guess what?  That's Step 1 in evolution by natural selection. 

So, no, there's no "curing" cancer because you'd be "curing" our ability to adapt to our fucking environments.  Too long, didn't read?  You know how the Kree are presented in Marvel Comics as amazing specimens but they can't 'change', and it makes them weak as a species?  This is pretty much exactly what that means.  No evolving = no long-term survival.

But hey, I guess it's easier to be a fucking meathead millionaire rockstar and pop off at the mouth about a job you don't even understand than it is to put in the work, or think that because you helped raise money off your fellow rich-fuck friends, that that gives you license to talk shit.  I do agree with one of his sentiments from that article, though: Why the fuck *are* you here?

Hope you all learned something (which would probably put you ahead of Daltrey).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, but I get all of my science/medical news from Daltrey and Aaron Rodgers. I mean, I could listen to scientists or doctors or whatever, but I figure a guy who throws the football real good and a has-been rocker who was never even the brains of his own band will give me all the info I need to get by.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emqcAGLgoJU

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Basically, his argument from ignorance boils down to, "Scientists don't want to cure cancer because they'd be out of a job."  

[...]

So, no, there's no "curing" cancer because you'd be "curing" our ability to adapt to our fucking environments.

The thing that gets me, is that even if you're ignorant of all the stuff you mentioned - it doesn't take a genius to figure out that anybody who did in fact "cure cancer" would be set for life. So the idea that scientists are financially motivated to not cure cancer is impressively stupid as well as being grounded in ignorance.

• Like 4

This week may very well be the last time I ever see my brother in law (wife's sister's husband) outside of a facetime call or the sister in law posting a photo on social media. Her birthday was this week, so they came down to NM from NY so that she could spend it with the family, and he was a miserable prick for the entire time they were down here. Making snide comments left and right and just generally acting like he didn't want to be here. Including deciding that instead of going up to Ruidoso, NM (a mountain resort town about 45 minute NW) with a shitload of stuff to do, that they should just stay in town and go out for dinner. I made a smart ass comment to my wife that they probably weren't going because he said he couldn't miss the Bills game. And when my wife told her mother about it, she said that's exactly what it was.

They left on Wednesday and the wife got the full details from her mother about how terrible the last four days had been, and she's pretty sure that it'll be the last time that he ever comes down here again.  Even my kids (aged 14 and 12) were talking about it. I asked them "It was nice seeing Aunt H***** wasn't it?" and they'd say yes. Then I'd ask "What about Uncle S*****?" and it was a resounding no. 

• Sad 1

They came all the way from New York to New Mexico and he wanted to watch the Bills on TV because they're apparently on a rare win streak instead of literally anything else involving his wife or family. 

What a douchebag. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They came all the way from New York to New Mexico and he wanted to watch the Bills on TV because they're apparently on a rare win streak instead of literally anything else involving his wife or family. 

What a douchebag. 

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like the plot of that movie "Stay Tuned" where John Ritter is TV obsessed. But yeah, his wife wanted to come down and see the family for her birthday. And the day they were all set to go out and celebrate, they couldn't because he'd have to miss his precious football game.