DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KONNAN

RIPPA

So you guys are telling me all the people who told me that Konnan was good in Mexico are a god damned lie?  It didn't seem possible to me, but so many people tried to tell me that me was really good and only became fat, lazy, and sloppy when he got to WCW.  Thank you guys for clearing this up, I have some people to find and cuss out.

Yes.  It was a goddamn lie.  He sucked, but could be carried at least in the 90-91 stuff with Perro, Rayo, Cien Caras and even...ugh...Vampiro.   OK, Vamp couldn't carry anyone.  Fuck that.

The only time I ever liked him was that brief period when he was on the mic for LAX (and I actually turned on TNA once in a blue moon and saw it). 

Now I think I'm gonna lay down, eat a muscle relaxer and watch a whole disc of '80s New Japan to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

So you guys are telling me all the people who told me that Konnan was good in Mexico are a god damned lie?  It didn't seem possible to me, but so many people tried to tell me that me was really good and only became fat, lazy, and sloppy when he got to WCW.  Thank you guys for clearing this up, I have some people to find and cuss out.

Yes.  It was a goddamn lie.  He sucked, but could be carried at least in the 90-91 stuff with Perro, Rayo, Cien Caras and even...ugh...Vampiro.   OK, Vamp couldn't carry anyone.  Fuck that.

Vampiro is another favorite of the that guy was awesome in Mexico crowd. 

I'll say this for Konnan though, the Cradle DDT/Tequila Sunrise combo was awesome.  They don't really relate to each other in any way other than the cradle DDT knocks a guy silly long enough to put on an overly complicated submission, but I used to use the tequila sunrise as my submission finisher in every videogame that had it included in the moveset. 

This will make us all feel better.

iMho4EEI7PIdV.gif

Thank you, Scott Steiner, for being our voice.

I think that's Scott Norton. Scott Steiner is in the bottom left getting attacked by... Ray Traylor ?

Here's a Steiner Brothers vs. Konnan & Rey Mysterio match, in which Konnan no-sells a Steiner Bulldog.

I think that's Scott Norton. Scott Steiner is in the bottom left getting attacked by... Ray Traylor ?

That is 1000% Scott Steiner dropping Konnan.

You are correct that Ray Traylor is in the bottom left though

EDIT - in fact Taylor is brawling with Norton

That is 1000% Scott Steiner dropping Konnan.

You are correct that Ray Traylor is in the bottom left though

EDIT - in fact Taylor is brawling with Norton

My apologies, you are correct. I just found the match on Dailymotion, it was the Steiners & Ray Traylor vs. Norton, Bagwell & Konnan from Souled Out '98.

EDIT: On second thought, it's probably not that match. Same six guys, though.

EDIT No. 2: Upon further research, the exact same match-up happend two weeks prior to Souled Out on Nitro (January 5th 1998). I guess it's from that match.

I liked Konnan well enough when he worked under the mask and wore the goofy "Aztec Warrior" gear.  At that point, I hadn't seen a lot of lucha.

Not long after, I saw more of Konnan and more of lucha in general, and my opinion changed.  Drastically.  The thing about Konnan is he has just enough talent to get himself over and keep himself relevant (in the front office, if not in the ring), but not enough talent to be particularly good at any of his roles.

I may well be alone here, but I loved the Konnan-Sandman match.  (At the time, that is.  Haven't watched it in many moons.) And even though I hated his WCW catchphrases, it amused me that the marks chanted right along, having no idea what they were saying.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I think there was one point where it seemed like Konnan could go or at least look impressive if he was in with some of his boys.  I think he had some neat stuff he could do, but never really did it unless he was going to Japan.  Then every day he believed he was a bus and the days of him tryin' were over.  The sneaker spot was pretty funny though.

*EDIT*  Wasn't there a match during the dying days of WCW where the Steiners were zero giving any shits and like Rick just hit the ring and potatoed the fuck out of Konnan?

Best thing Konnan's ever been part of...

http://youtu.be/xov6S225Jxs

Hey now, Konnan was an infinitely better rapper than PN News.

Debatable...

*EDIT*  Wasn't there a match during the dying days of WCW where the Steiners were zero giving any shits and like Rick just hit the ring and potatoed the fuck out of Konnan?

Yeah, good times...

I remember when he was such a big deal in Mexico that I was really psyched up to see him. Then the tape showed up...

Yeah, good times...

Apart from the punches to the back of Konnan's head, that was pretty much indistinguishable from any Rick Steiner match.

• Like 1

Konnan was pretty fun for a meat-head type back in the early 90s. Peppy offense, even did some flying. I think his work and cardio left with his hair though.

Konnan was one of those guys (along with Vampiro, who also popped up in this thread) that I'd read a lot of glowing press about in the magazines and such and was really interested to see what he could bring to the table when he showed up in WCW.  He finally debuted and I just didn't get it - here was this guy doing completely painless looking moves and rolling/moving around at half speed while there was a large contingent of other lucha guys doing all sorts of impressive stuff.