DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KONNAN

RIPPA

Yeah - this is going to be the long teased GUYS I HATE WEEK because yeah, that is where my head is at right now.

And boy do I fucking HATE Konnan. I am not sure if I hate him more for his shitty ring work or because of him being Meltzer's only lucha source and horrifically skewing his opinion on lucha.

OH! and for convincing Barnett to not tape the Star of Death match.

i2z1kGL1kA0vX.gif

Konnan%20Prince.gif

• Like 1

I do not hate Konnan as much as I should.  I really hated sloppy sloppy sloppy Dungeon of Doom Konnan

LAX needed less Konnan doing old shit and more Hector Guerrero.

I think it's pretty telling that my "fondest" memory of Konnan is basically 20 years ago watching one of those giant AAA brawls and eventually "Another One Bites The Dust" plays and Schneider goes "Wait - is JYD making the save???"

God - what I wouldn't have paid for JYD to truly be making that save... and to not be dead.

• Like 1

I think that the reason I don't hate Konnan as much as I should is because I was a mark for the Tequila Sunrise and the Figure Four / Stump Puller finishers he used to put guys away with.

Even so, he was dangerously sloppy..  I am surprised he never crippled anyone with that no-support Cradle DDT of his.

KONNAN v. CHRIS MONDAY JERICHO (with Ralphus) for the World Television Championship - Does K-Dawg have problems trying to remember if he's trying to be Mexican or black? Why does he try to have it both ways by saying "Bowdy-'bout it?" Jericho doesn't get any mic time, hmmm. Lockup, nope, Konnan with a somersault for no reason. Armdrag takedown and the crowd goes wild. Lockup, armwringer by Konnan, Jericho flips out, Konnan lariats him and shakes his balls in his direction. Jericho leaves the ring, then tries to tell referee "Blind" Mickey Jay about what happened, and Jay said "don't EVER try to touch my balls!" Back in, lockup, takedown, Konnan rolls over. Is that a "Jericho" chant? Up we go, Jericho says "slap me" so Konnan slaps him. Oops, I think that was a called spot. Konnan with a lot of rights and elbows and kicks and Jericho cowers in the corner. Jericho gets up after Konnan stops to pose to the crowd and shake his pants. Double thrust, chop (woooo!), off the ropes, shoulderblock. Now back and forth, Jericho goes down for a Sunset flip but Konnan takes it to him, then hits the seated dropkick. Back up, whip, hot shot by Jericho and Konnan rolls to the apron. Jericho hits a GREAT springboard dropkick and Konnan meets the floor. PESCADO! Jericho doesn't stop - he's positioned the steps. Chop (woooo!) and a whip into the STEEL steps. Back in the ring we go - Jericho rolls him into the centre and tries the arrogant cover - but only gets 2. Rear chinlock is applied as Tony drops the name of Bobby Duncum Jr. Jericho with some kicks. Bodyslam by Jericho. "Are you ready?!" Jericho climbs to the top - it's a - well, I don't know but he meets the boot on his way down. Whip off the rope, "tumbling lariat." Another whip, head down, Jericho grabs him, Konnan reverses into a fisherman's suplex for 2. Jericho with a punch in the mush and a lariat - a beautiful Lionsault, but only 2. Chop (woooo!), jumping back kick, whip into the opposite corner, reverse, Konnan catches his legs around his head and wow, takes him down with a powerbomb for 2. Waistlock, victory roll counter, Jericho tries the Liontamer - got it - but Konnan is in the ropes. Jericho thinks he's won but he hasn't. Jericho takes a swing with the belt - Konnan ducks, kick to the gut, facebuster on the belt, 1, 2, 3. Oh, fuck. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new World Television Champion. (7:11) Gee, I wonder how THAT happened. Why, here's KEVIN NASH now, along with THE TOTAL WOLFPACKAGE to congratulate their Wolfpackmate for bringing some gold to their group.

To add insult to injury, let's play "Konnan's Music Video." FUCK YOU, KEVIN NASH. It only took you TWO Nitros to prove to me that it doesn't matter who's in charge, the product is STILL going to suffer. It's going to matter more who you're friends with then how entertaining/athletic/good you can be. Saying "bowdyboutit" and "wolfpack in the house" doesn't count for SHIT and it DAMN sure doesn't deserve holding the gold. And this song FUCKING sucks and there is NO good reason for it to be shoved down our collective throats like we're Monica Lewinsky looking for some Presidential action. And who plays a song without revealing the title anyway? "Konnan's Music Video." Hey Konnan, you're as white as I am, you fucking prick. You don't deserve that belt. Your music video sucks. Your "rap" sucks. Your "rep" sucks. You are neither bowdy-'boutit nor rowdy-rowdy. I hope your vocal cords get cut so I never have to hear you speak on dis EVER again. If you ever meet any REAL vatos locos, you'll be in deep shit, I guarantee it. Oh, wait, it's over? Maybe I can get on with my life. AND MAYBE NOT.

• Like 1

I mean yeah, he's got this:

ibrD7yr3AZVPUz.gif

imHbt4p9XZaks.gif

ixlzawSBwR609.gif

But that's about it. And it's not like Paige doesn't have it too.

Also, I kind of wonder who moved more merch for WCW in 98, Konnan or Jericho? Jericho had the great shirt and was an internet darling but Konnan was probably more over with a wider range of people.

I hate him so much i wont even post a clip.

I will later post maybe my favorite CRZ bit ever, the rant after Konban beat jericho.

Hey! I can quote you and save you time

By the way, the Nitro recap I was referring to was from 11/30/98. It starts with Konnan winning the TV belt from Jericho and goes down from there.

I give you a small bit of CRZ's Recap:

"FUCK YOU, KEVIN NASH. It only took you TWO Nitros to prove to me that it doesn't matter who's in charge, the product is STILL going to suffer. It's going to matter more who you're friends with then how entertaining/athletic/good you can be. Saying "bowdyboutit" and "wolfpack in the house" doesn't count for SHIT and it DAMN sure doesn't deserve holding the gold. And this song FUCKING sucks and there is NO good reason for it to be shoved down our collective throats like we're Monica Lewinsky looking for some Presidential action. And who plays a song without revealing the title anyway? "Konnan's Music Video." Hey Konnan, you're as white as I am, you fucking prick. You don't deserve that belt. Your music video sucks. Your "rap" sucks. Your "rep" sucks. You are neither bowdy-'boutit nor rowdy-rowdy. I hope your vocal cords get cut so I never have to hear you speak on dis EVER again. If you ever meet any REAL vatos locos, you'll be in deep shit, I guarantee it. Oh, wait, it's over? Maybe I can get on with my life. AND MAYBE NOT."

Full Recap Is Here

You could do an amalgam of Road Dogg and Konnan in mid-1999 and it would be terrifying. 

I got two weeks of guys saved up Matt - patience...

I had to time that pretty well. Road Dogg at least was working his ass off in the hardcore stuff earlier in the year, and I'll believe it if someone said the NAO had good matches in early 98. I don't want to go back and watch, but I'd believe it. He's a guy who probably has aged well work-wise now that we're not quite as bound to workrate dogmatism. But at the height of the "Two Tears in a bucket" era he's probably as bad as the "tossed salad" Konnan era.

Words cannot express how much I hate Konnan.  

Shitty Konnan half-assing in it CMLL in 1990 with Perro Aguayo, Cien Caras and Rayo and even fucking Vampiro carrying him - and Konnan somehow being the only one of them, other than Perro, to make the WON HOF?  Oh, there's hate.

Shitty Konnan fucking up AAA trios matches that looked at least passable.  Oh so much hate.

Shitty Konnan in WCW doing shitty catchphrases and being sloppy.  Grrrrr.

Shitty Konnan booking as a Mexican Paul Heyman.  Oh goddamn the hate.

Still, the thing that pisses me off the most is Konnan inexplicably making the WON HOF and essentially writing his own piece - AND HAVING THE BALLS TO CALL HIMSELF THE MOST INTERESTING PERSON ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!

Fuck Konnan.  Oh...just...goddamn you Rippa for making me hate this early in the day.

I always kinda liked Konnan. His bit where he would throw his shoe at his opponent would make me laugh. Also, before I figured out this shit was booked/written, I loved Konnan's superhero gimmick in WCW where he was the US champ (didn't he beat Flair during that run too?). I'm...not sure if I would like it today, but I liked it back then.

I'm not sure who I hated the most during the Monday Night Wars: Konnan or the New Age Outlaws.

It's probably K-Dawg considering he was able to take up seemingly hours of our lives with his moronic pre-match stuff while he did absolutely nothing. The Outlaws were pretty awful, too, but at least got to take part in some sort of memorable stuff. Konnan was the 19th most important part of the nWo.

I was terrified for a half a second because I needed to double check the Best of the 90s lucha results to see if Konnan somehow backdoored his way into one of them

Thankfully he did not.

So you guys are telling me all the people who told me that Konnan was good in Mexico are a god damned lie?  It didn't seem possible to me, but so many people tried to tell me that me was really good and only became fat, lazy, and sloppy when he got to WCW.  Thank you guys for clearing this up, I have some people to find and cuss out.

Still, the thing that pisses me off the most is Konnan inexplicably making the WON HOF and essentially writing his own piece - AND HAVING THE BALLS TO CALL HIMSELF THE MOST INTERESTING PERSON ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!!!!

Yeah.... you so aren't going to want to read this then

I was a big fan of Konnan when he had the mask working around Los Angeles. It was a mistake to take it off him. But that was so long ago.

Because of Meltzer & Williams, I got to talk to him a lot. After his terrible match in the Mexico City Bull Ring with Cien Caras in front of 50,000, I ripped him in a WON letter. Carlos reads the Observer & wrote a letter defending himself.

Later in TJ after a AAA card, he was hanging around with Dave & he kept asking who this Steve Yohe was. I pointed him to Williams.

Konnan was a very smart guy & always good to us. Good friends with Dave. Wrote his own HOF Bio in the WON. But he is the only wrestler in the world who went off steriods while going to WCW. He killed his look and he didn't work as well without the juice. He never hide the fact he was on juice and talked to Dave about it all the time. I think he went off them before going to America (well left AAA & TJ).

He always said that his work was Ok...but he couldn't carry someone who stunk. I guess that meant he had to be carried. (Most of the guys in AAA at that time were great workers) He always played himself down and lact of confidence hurt him after leaving AAA. I liked his mat work and told him, but he didn't think fans liked that style. He could have been Ok, but....WCW. It wasn't important.

I told him that he would get killed in WCW, but he & all the Lucha stars wanted the money. It seems all that WCW wanted was cheap drugs brought over the border from TJ. At one point WCW had the best talent in the history of wrestling & they destroyed it.

Carlos was very wrestling smart. A good thinker & a leader of all the major Lucha stars of that time, including Misterio. The other wrestlers believed in him and followed him. But his booking in TJ was destroyed by watching WCW. He left classic lucha and turned to garbage WCW/NWO style and it was terrible. Drugs didn't help. All those great Lucha guy were destroyed by WCW. Ended a great period in lucha history, but they got paid.

Konnan also had health problems.

I don't make friends with many wrestlers, but I always like Konnan and would enjoy seeing him again some day. He was a lot of fun.--Steve Yohe

[ 05-05-2014, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]