DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Seems rich for a reliever, but don't know the prospects well.

So, Edwin Jackson actually pitches decently, Rizzo hits 2 homers, Cubs lose anyway. Sounds about right.

Bryant and Baez go deep again last night as well. Baez does not hit cheap homers, just about every one I've seen this year has been a bomb,

Man, people scoff at the NFL's in-game "concussion test." In last night's Pirate game, Starling Marte took a fastball off his head, got checked out for like 5 minutes and then stayed in the game. Granted they pulled him shortly thereafter and granted the ball hit him square in the helmet but still a 93 mph fastball to the noggin is a 93 mph fastball to the noggin.

Guess Dominicans are to baseball what Samoans are to wrestling.

Man, people scoff at the NFL's in-game "concussion test." In last night's Pirate game, Starling Marte took a fastball off his head, got checked out for like 5 minutes and then stayed in the game. Granted they pulled him shortly thereafter and granted the ball hit him square in the helmet but still a 93 mph fastball to the noggin is a 93 mph fastball to the noggin.

Guess Dominicans are to baseball what Samoans are to wrestling.

It was pretty terrifying. I'm obviously not some sort of head trauma expert, but I wonder if Marte turning his head more into the pitch may have helped him. It didn't get him right in the side of the head/temple, there was some forehead involved there (which yes, I realize isn't some sort of safe spot).

MLB.tv is such a terrible product. It's crashed on my PC nine times in two hours tonight. But of course, they have me (and everyone else) by the balls. Incredibly disheartening.

I hardly had any problems with the At Bat on my ipad the last two years i had it before this one.

The conversation I'm having with a poor intern on Twitter is hilarious. "Have you tried connect with Ethernet?" Yeah, because that's why Flash is closing in the MLB.tv window - my Internet sucks. Also "try using the old player!" isn't a valid piece of troubleshooting.

I wonder if anyone knows that one but him. The battle of the Colbys is epic.

colby lewis can't win

I think I might be the only person on this board old enough to get that joke.

Okay me and JT

I wonder if anyone knows that one but him. The battle of the Colbys is epic.

colby lewis can't win

I think I might be the only person on this board old enough to get that joke.

Okay me and JT

John Pinette RIP

I GUESS HEAVEN NEEDED A COACH HANK!!!!!

Also always bunt against the shift.  It's what Enos Slaughter woulda' done, Cap.

Anthony Rizzo started bunting against the shift this year, and it's done wonders for him against lefties. The name of the game is getting on base, and if the shift is presented a properly laid down bunt will get you on base. There's no reason not to bunt against the shift every once in a while.

That, btw. For hitter-Colby to help his team, he needs to get on base. The best chance hitter-Colby has of doing this is to nudge the ball to the side of the field the fielders have chosen to leave undefended. Why pitcher-Colby thinks this is wrong is a gigantic (and stupid) mystery.

I don't think it's an unwritten rule.  I think the only place it exists is in Colby Lewis' Myspace FAQ.

I think it's just the opposite here.  All I've been hearing all year from "unwritten rules" type dudes (Harold Reynolds-y sort of guys) is that everyone should be bunting on these absurd shifts and that Pee Wee Reese would be slapping them in the face for not doing it every time.

John Pinette RIP

I GUESS HEAVEN NEEDED A COACH HANK!!!!!

Also always bunt against the shift.  It's what Enos Slaughter woulda' done, Cap.

It took three years after the trade, but Colby Rasmus is finally playing the Cardinal Way.  Once he reached first safely, Rasmus undoubtedly looked over and saw all the Great Cardinals Ghosts standing side-by-side, Return of the Jedi-style, smiling and nodding in approval.  Sooner or later, one way or another, Tony La Russa shows you the way.