DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Thunderbolt Fantasy episode 5 had an obvious solution but watching that solution play out was just so damn entertaining. Of course I expct soem dramatic twist at the end of this because its Gen Urobochi writing it but I've never been disappointed by his what he's done so far.

James

Mushibugyo - by no means great, but fun for what it is.  A fun little shounen show with likable characters.  The plot gets a lot more interesting in the second half.

Konosuba - an actually fun satire of the whole "neet gets transported to fantasy RPG world" premise.  Grimgar and RE:Zero are fairly serious.  Konosuba instead is very light-hearted and fun.  Never takes itself too seriously, but it riffs a lot of the conventions of this genre while also embodying them at the same time if that makes any sense.  

RE:Zero - It's like When They Cry meets the whole "neet gets transported to fantasy RPG world" premise.  Every episode is like a kick in the gut to the audience.  The Walking Dead has nothing RE:Zero.

Its nice to see someone else here has caught Mushibugyo. RE:Zero has been my favorite show the last season. Its gets so damn strong in the emotion and drama and really does not pull punches on the lead's psyche and faults.

• Like 1

Macross Delta 19. Was not expecting the direct connection to Frontier. Its also interesting to see a theory of music and its importance based on the events of the previous series they count as canon.

The only other person who makes sense would be Minmay, but the idea of her becoming a war crazed psychopath actively trying to build a music weapon would be way to much for the hardcore fanbase to handle I think. The vibe I get from tying evrything together directly atthis point is that Kawamori wants to be done with Macross after this. I have no proof of this mind you, but its just my gut feeling.

James

Just finished watching the latest Mac Delta episode.  It just seems too obvious that Lady M is either Miria or Minmay that, considering it's still Kawamori, it won't be either of them.  Maybe it'll be Mao to tie it into Macross Zero.

As for the music as weapon/stat booster idea, I guess I've just been playing SRW too much, because it seemed standard to me.  It is the only way to use Basara and the Sound Force when Macross 7 is in the series list.

If you aren't watching Kuromukuro you should be.  I feel like we are on the cusp of some big revelations.  I just hope they're not a letdown.

I like the writing and dialogue.  This is a show where even the supporting characters are fleshed out and likable and amusing.  Just for example, I like that morbid doctor who wants to dissect everyone.  Like the dude is totally creepy, but he's still like creepy in a good guy way.  

Episode 18 had a great scene where it basically seemed like a whole scene was basically a parody of an anime planning meeting.  It will probably go over the head of American viewers who go into the show colder, but it was hilarious with how it sort of started slow but escalated quickly.  I can imagine a lot of anime planning meetings going just like what was presented in the show.  I especially enjoyed the Japanese characters chiming in on some kids shows with scenes that were way too edgy.  

Nothing against Macross Delta.  I love old school Robotech and SDF Macross.  But I just couldn't get into Delta after the first episode.  

Picked up TBolt Fantasy for my kid at one of the vendor stalls at Otakon over the weekend. 

I did not realize this is the last Otakon that will be held in B'More as the convention moves to DC next summer.

Weird question for everyone, but maybe you can help me. I'm trying to identify the name of an anime series.

It aired for a time here on Saturday mornings around 1995 and it was really early in the morning. I recall it airing along with an Incredible Hulk cartoon and I think it was on ABC. Anyway, the main things I remember about it is that the main protagonist was pretty moody and locked in some sort of jail while an evil alien being was trying to get these space flowers to blossom and rain down spores on the planet. The spores may have caused mutations, I'm not sure. The protagonists were trying to stop this from happening.

Anyway, that description is ultra weird, but I have been trying to figure out what the name of this series was for the longest time. Doing searches for space spores brings up Robotech, but I'm positive it wasn't Robotech. I don't remember the name being Robotech and going off of my memory, the art style for Robotech was also different than this show. I'm not even sure if mechs were used. They might have been, considering it's an anime after all. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I describing about 100 different anime shows?

Definitely sounds like Teknoman.  Honestly solid show.  Reversioned from the original, but it was still pretty dark and grim compared to other kids shows that were getting made at the time

On 8/17/2016 at 0:35 AM, Eivion said:

Not really sure where the Gintama feel would be coming from, but it is a darn good show well worth watching.

Even Gin-chan agrees with me. I think the similarities I see is that a few of the characters have that sort of plot or fourth wall awareness that a lot of Gintama characters have. Some will reference or seem to be aware of the fact that they are in an anime. One of the geeky characters says a goofy line, and another characters is like "Your first line in the series, and that's what you come up with?!" That could be a translation issue though. 

But I think why I'm reminded of Gintama is the rather quick, overt humor and goofiness.  But underneath it all is a sincere message "because friendship," "because teachers should respect their students and nurture their learning," "because you shouldn't judge others," bloddy bloddy blah.

Tekkaman BLADE also had 2 of the best opening songs in "Reason" and "Eternal Loneliness" both by Yumiko Kosaka!

Probably the best thing Masami Obari directed after the "Red Eyes" champter of the original BGC

James