DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Holy shit! This has to be it. Right away, it was so familiar looking at the character names and what they looked like. That has to be it. Thanks guys!

EDIT: YES! This is it! Oh man. So many years I couldn't figure out what that series was called.

See Macross DELTA is kind of like Kamen Rider GAIM in that once you get past the initial introductory episode then the actual story starts taking shape. Getting past the dance battle arc of GAIM gave way to the cosmic insanity that followed it. Getting past the first 3 episodes of DELTA leads to grander things

James

In the "If a tree falls in the woods" category, Lucky Star finally came out on Region 1 blu-ray last month and Haruhi Suzumiya comes out in September, and the first time I heard about it was when I noticed Lucky Star in the "people also ordered" section on Amazon as I was ordering a new copy of Azumanga Daioh to replace the DVDs I traded in years ago.

Man, when a show dies in Japan, it really dies.

Does anyone remember a Christian-themed anime series from the late 1970's where a group of kids travel back in time in a magic windmill to visit characters from the Old and New Testament?

I remember there was Superbook which featured two kids and a talking, time traveling computer book but I can't remember what the windmill show was.

I started rewatching Super Dimensional Century Orguss and all I can say is... it is a weird show. It is nothing like anything I can think of from that time epriod in terms of mecha design or story. Aslo, the animation is kinda cheap compared to the Super Dimensional series that preceded it. Still, those Mikimoto character designs are boss

James

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh heck yeah both the opening and closing "Gypsy" are great. I mean it still ahs a pretty solid followwing in Japan, strong enough for it ot be the focus of SRWZ

James

Well, more like the first part of SRWZ to explain how they get to the future.  As the game goes on more of it is about SEED Destiny (with the Shinn rewrite), the end of Xabungle, Gravion Zwei, Eureka 7 and OKG.

I'm still pissed off about the nepotism of Totsuki Academy.  There's no oversight or regulation with the grandfather being allowed to judge those cooking matches despite having conflicts of interest.  Headmaster or not, he shouldn't be allowed to judge his granddaughter's matches.  Pretty sure Olympics wouldn't allow that.  Frankly, he shouldn't be allowed to judge the matches with Kurokiba either.

After 7 mediocre episodes of what was looking to be the most overrated show of this cour if not the whole year, the latest Qualidea Code episode is making the series a bit more interesting.  Of course, if it's only one cour, it'll probably mean a horribly rushed ending.

Does Hunter x Hunter really pick up after awhile or something?  I've been watching the recent-ish (2011, irrc) series dubbed on the Saturday night Adult Swim/Toonami block, and I really don't get it.  After years of hearing the "best anime not to be licensed and dubbed" hype, I'm really underwhelmed.  I'm not one of those people who generally go "I don't like this.  It sucks", but so far the show seems thoroughly average in every regard.  Honestly, if it wasn't for the hype surrounding it, I probably would have dropped out already (AS is not quite 20 eps in; they're still taking the Hunter exam).

To be fair, I really dislike Yu Yu Hakushou, so there's that.  The characters remind me an awful lot of Yu Yu, (manga's by the same creator).

Help me out, here.  What am I missing?  I'm inclined to stick with it and see if I get invested.  Good idea, or am I unlikely to like what's to come if I haven't liked it so far?  Right now, I can't imagine caring too much about any of the characters except maybe the sinister Harlequin dude (Gon strikes me as being approximately as threatening as a puppy, so I have no idea how they're going to build him up into a credible fighter).

I'm also kinda let down by One Punch Man, also on Toonami.  I'm enjoying it, but it seems awfully slight and I'm not really sure it's going anywhere.  It's kinda hard to root for the main character too much when he mostly seems bored and depressed.  Also, the people who gripe about the property damage and such in the Man of Steel films would probably hate him for generally showing up at the last minute and winning the battle awfully easily.  There's been a couple instances of the monster trashing the city then Saiyama (sp?) casually shows up and punches the monster to death.  Coulda saved a few hundred million in collateral damage if he'd bothered to get there five minutes earlier.

And thus the conclusion of the Autumn Election finally arrives for Food Wars.  I know we still get two more episodes, but this is pretty decent area to stop around for the second season.  Even if we don't get another season, I'm glad they at least got to finish the Autumn Election and will make it through the Stagiare mini-arc.  

Still not a fan of Grandpa Totsuki.  The reasoning for picking the winner seemed wonky to me.  Other than Soma, my favorite character is probably Kurokiba.  I like that he doesn't take shit for everyone and that he even tells the judges to shut up and eat.