DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I'm really getting tempted to go down the Robotech rabbithole with the remastered stuff, but I have such a backlog of shame sitting in my Hulu queue that I'm taking forever to get to.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the first season of Baka and Test, and I really enjoyed it.  Not great, but a solid, enjoyable show.  My only problem is it has that convention of whenever the Class F gets an amazing underdog win it's constantly reversed or taken away from them for comedic effect.  Except I guess the one instance where they managed to figure out a workaround for that school scavenger hunt.  But I like all the misfits of Class F and all their weird quirks.  Not sure if the show is meant to be a biting satire of Japan's education system or not.  If I have a favorite recurring gag it's the class rep asking Akihisa to go to the other classrooms to declare war, and how he always gets beaten up as expected, but the class rep always comes up with a lame explanation of how he can deliver the message without getting beaten up, but he still does.  It always works. 

The teacher nicknamed Iron Man is also a riot.  He's strict, but he seems to be a pretty fair dude.  

So apparently a new version of Animetal has launched called Animetal The Second. Eizo Sakamoto has nothing to do with it as far as I can tell. I canfind very little info on thme save for the fact they have 2 albums out already

So apparently there is a new version of Animetal called Animetal The Second out there. I can't find much info on them.

James

For no good reason I went a little "Dirty Pair Crzy" tonight and watched Dirty Pair The Movie and Conspiracy of Flight 005.

Watching these reminded of one thing.. I FUCKIN' LOVE THE DIRTY PAIR~!

mughi-02.gif

and the preview for DBS 66 confirms exactly what everyone predicted months ago...

Spoiler

Fused Zamasu v. Super Saiyan Blue Vegito

Guessing this wraps up in the next 2-3 episodes but have no idea where it goes from here

James

Actually the nice thing about DBS is that they've kept the arcs very tight, usually around 12-14 episodes or less (though the Goku Black story has been the longest arc to date and will probably clock closer to 20 episodes but it really isn't "Drag-on Ball" anymore)

James

My only experience with Dragon Ball is watching the original show on Toonami back in the day.  "Draggin'-ball" is certainly an apt nickname, from what I can remember.  Do I remember right that the fight with the giant baby lasted two seasons, or is that just how many years of my life it seemed to suck away?

I went back and rewatched DBZ in its entirety a couple years ago, man alive that was a fucking slog to get through some times.

I know watching DBZ Kai is easier to get through clocking in at 159 episodes instead of the 291 that the Original Run had. 

I might have to get my Crunchyroll back to watch Super now that it's there, and I don't think Super is hitting Hulu anytime soon.

12 hours ago, J.H. said:

The giant baby? I can only assume you mean Majin Buu. That arc lasted about 100 episodes.

James

Yep, that's him.  Thanks.

Watching Parasyte: the Maxim.  Probably should have watched this sooner.  Feel like it's a really great show.  Far more thoughtful than I expected it to be.

On 10/30/2016 at 1:33 AM, J.H. said:

For no good reason I went a little "Dirty Pair Crzy" tonight and watched Dirty Pair The Movie and Conspiracy of Flight 005.

Watching these reminded of one thing.. I FUCKIN' LOVE THE DIRTY PAIR~!

mughi-02.gif

I also went old school tonight.  I am watching 8-Man After on my tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

Dubbed Ranma on Hulu is turning out to be best ever anime comfort food. Super young Canadian actors who would go on to be the backbone not only of Viz's dubs but a lot of my favorite US cartoons (X-Men Evo, various Transformers shows) for over a decade, married to the ultimate in disposable candy anime.

Was the epilogue of the Shin Mirai Trunks/Goku Black arc a totall letfown?
Your damn right it was. For Whis solution to be just a shrug of the shoulders and him to say "We'll just do this... off screen" was the most Gobbledygooker moment in the history of Dragon Ball

James

So, since Amazon has the original Macross series subbed (not Roboteched) and I'm finally getting around to watching it, is there anywhere easy to watch the other series that came after (I think I have Macross II the Movie on DVD lying around already)?  

On 11/20/2016 at 6:14 PM, J.H. said:

Was the epilogue of the Shin Mirai Trunks/Goku Black arc a totall letfown?
Your damn right it was. For Whis solution to be just a shrug of the shoulders and him to say "We'll just do this... off screen" was the most Gobbledygooker moment in the history of Dragon Ball

James

That's Dragon Ball for you.

I have never had a problem with Toriyama's wrap-ups in the past but after Goku won the Tenkai Ichi Budokai it just seems like Toriyama is having to leave back doors available in case he would decide to continue the manga (which he always did because... well... its hard to walk away from all that $$$ on te table). Ending aside, Shin Mirai trunks/Goku Black was probably the best DB story since the original Freeza arc

James

8 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

So, since Amazon has the original Macross series subbed (not Roboteched) and I'm finally getting around to watching it, is there anywhere easy to watch the other series that came after (I think I have Macross II the Movie on DVD lying around already)?  

Everything but the original series, Macross II and Macross Plus is tied up in legal pretzels so tight that Nefarious Means will be the ONLY means for the rest of our lives.  The movie versions of those series were on Hulu for years but left this summer. The individual episodes can be purchased on Amazon Instant; $6 for Mac+ (4 eps) and $10 for MacII (6 eps).

ETA: Also, it's really weird that the subbed version of SDF Macross on Prime is missing OP and ED, but Southern Cross and MOSPEADA have theirs.