DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Just found D-Frag, and it's genuinely a lot of fun.  IMHO, it's like a toned down version of Prison Highschool.  A lot of quirky yet likable characters and irreverent school high jinks. 

Sad that we are about at the end of Food Wars' Second Plate.  This is a good as place as any to stop, but I hope it gets a third season.  

I finished RE:Zero.  I can definitely see why it's getting a lot of buzz and attention right now.  That being said, I didn't love it.  The author is definitely a sadist.  In terms of a show with a similar scenario, I probably still prefer Grimgar.  Konosuba as well for a more comedic take on what seems to be a very common light novel scenario in Japan. 

That being said, if I had my pick, I'd want to see The New Gate or Tsuyokute New Saga get some anime at some point.

18 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So, Macross Delta...were they trying to make it too obvious that they want us to think Lady M is Minmay in the latest episode?

I thought it was the opposite actually. The reveal they did makes it sort of obvious it isn't her since the ship is still missing.

On 9/20/2016 at 10:35 PM, Eivion said:

I'm not sure how D-Frag is remotely like Prison Highschool other than both being comedies.

I like Grimgar, but I didn't get near as much out of it as I did Re:Zero. Never heard of those last two you mentioned.

D-Frag reminds me of Prison Highschool because of the teenagers going off the handle and acting melodramatic about really minor, insignificant things and jumping to wild off-base conclusions based on bizarre observations.  The humor in which the characters would melodramatically act over hanging like a splinter or something. Even a character like Kazuma's little sister in D-Frag is insane and goes nuts over minor, insignificant crap. Also, you have these bizarre student kliqs who are at conflict with each other over perceived control over the highschool and getting into irreverent battles of wills to shift the balances of that control.  So you have the Game Creation Club, the Game Creation Club provisional, or the ex-Student Council.  Likewise in Prison high, there's the Underground Student Council, the Above Ground Student Council or the boys faction. 

As for The New Gate or Tsuyokute New Saga, both have yet to been adapted into anime. They only exist in manga and light novel form for now.  But they have remarkably similar premises to RE:Zero. New Saga doesn't have a character being transported to another RPG realm, but the character has been sent back in time with knowledge of his previous life, so he looks to use his advanced knowledge to redo events this time around. New Gate is another hardcore gamer being transported/stuck in a game world.  However, unlike Grimgar, his stats and gear are all completely maxed out, so he's mainly just trying to adjust to life in the game world and figure things out without people finding out about his background. 

In Live Action = Blasphemy news, the SDCC footage from the live action GiTS with Scarlet Johansson has been spliced into makeshift trailers.

Also, James Cameron has given the director's chair for his live action adaptation of Battle Angel Alita  / Gunnm to Robert "El Rey" Rodriguez. 

So far, the cast includes Rosa Salazar (Gally / Alita), Christpher Walz (probably playing Dr. Ido), Ed Skrein, and Jackie Earle Hayley.

If I had to guess, I'd wager that Skrein will be Makaku and Haley will be either Desty Nova or Jashugan.

Finished up Macross Delta. Not sure how I feel about the ending. I wasn't expecting major closure as I felt a lot of the elements they were introducing the last 5-8 episodes were hinting more towards the next series/movie/etc. Still it is a bit disappointing to see it end without the war with Windemere being properly settled. Hopefully whatever comes next is a direct follow up. I did enjoy the series for the most part.

and so ends Thunderbolt Fantasy

Thank god they announced a second season! I thought the last episode delivered on so many levelsand the big reveal bout Shang, as far as who he is and what he is doing, was just damn perfect!

James

Active Raid had a good albeit a bit of a rushed ending.  So did Kuromukuro.  Even though the ending was a bit abrupt.  I wasn't sure if Kuromukuro wanted to leave the story open for a second season but still gave it a quasi-ending.  Either way, it felt a little unfulfilling the way the ending was set up.  

The mad scientist doctor turning out to be the camera freak's dad was sort of amusing.  It was a pretty out of left field development though.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The mad scientist doctor turning out to be the camera freak's dad was sort of amusing.  It was a pretty out of left field development though.

It may have come out of nowhere, but it certainly explains a lot about that psychotic moron.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

So did Kuromukuro.  Even though the ending was a bit abrupt.  I wasn't sure if Kuromukuro wanted to leave the story open for a second season but still gave it a quasi-ending.  Either way, it felt a little unfulfilling the way the ending was set up.

Ending didn't feel abrupt to me. The immediate conflict was settled, but the danger still exists. It felt like they are hoping for another season.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the second season announcement.

Just as I was surprised Berserk got a second season pick-up given how the fandom has reacted so negatively to it

James

I've got no issue with Miura's writing, its the poor animation most people are complainign about and the music. I mean was it so hard ot ask Susumu Hirasawa to write another OST?

James

5 hours ago, J.H. said:

I've got no issue with Miura's writing, its the poor animation most people are complainign about and the music. I mean was it so hard ot ask Susumu Hirasawa to write another OST?

James

The animation for the show isn't great, but a lot of shows as of late can't afford huge budgets for lots of eye candy.

The original Berserk didn't have a ton of great animation either and it clearly cut a lot of corners as well.  I mean I wish they had a huge animation budget to make it look as epic as Miura's artwork, but that's just not the case.  Frankly after all these years, we're pretty lucky to finally be getting a new Berserk anime considering the original series was not all that successful in Japan.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 6:20 PM, J.H. said:

Tiger Mask W is cheap, stupid and cheesy as hell

I loved every fuckin' second of it right down to animated Kazuchika Okada!

James

I'm still curious as to why Okada isn't voicing his own character. Both he and Tanahashi actually will have voice roles but not as themselves.

On 10/1/2016 at 4:20 PM, J.H. said:

Tiger Mask W is cheap, stupid and cheesy as hell

I loved every fuckin' second of it right down to animated Kazuchika Okada!

James

Pretty much. I know I should drop it since there are quite a few quality anime I do want to watch but I can't bring myself to.

I just hope they can keep up the high cheese factor.

On 9/23/2016 at 11:11 AM, TheVileOne said:

Superior fan edit of that GITS teaser trailer.

Definitely. Gonna tentatively say its looking pretty solid so far.

I just hope its successful enough to open the levies so that other anime adaptations gets picked up with a decent budget. Something like Bubblegum Crisis 2032; kick ass gals in power armor and hard rock.