DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

I think it might have more to do with with no outpacing the manga and having to make original content. That's why so many shows are doing it that way these days. Hell I tend to really hate original Anime storylines for the most part (I really think only Saint Seiya did one that actually did a good jon of adding to the mythology),. I think Shougeki No Soma did average ratings, not bad just not great so a shorter season to wrap up the Fall Tournament makes sense

James

Food Wars The Second Plate Episode 2 - Now this is more like the Food Wars I know and love! A proper cliffhanger AND a straight up homage/parody (this week its Jojo with Megumi and Ry summoning their "Stands"). I think they telegraphed who won though by the fact that

Nakiri-san didn't go bare chested for Megumi's dish

DAYS Episode 2 - They are pretty much establishing what sets Tsukushi apart from everyone else is his amazing endurance, which is really what can make the difference in a soccer match. Tsukushi is bonding with his teammates and because of that they are making the other schools look bad during first week at camp. 

Second season of Active Raid starts today and more Macross DELTA. With my toku watching on an ebb (I can't stand GHOST while Zyuohger has been ok but not "MYUAT WATCH!" material) more anime will be filling my queue

James

I love Thunderbolt Fantasy so far... I've been really blown away by it because it is just so incredible and beautiful from all stndpoints. I dig the characters, the story is engaging and the action fast paced. I can't wait for epeisode 3!

James

Active Raid is back for a second season!  Huzzah!  And we are getting some Figuarts made.  I hope Asami is brought back into the fold soon.  I'm enjoying the new team members and the quirk of the new recruit who doesn't like being stared it, so she wears special tech glasses that mosaic out people's faces in her field of vision.

Weirdly enough, while Active Raid is basically just an amusing action cop/mecha show with some fun characters, it seems to be seeding a lot of ideas through current events now between the debate over refugees, terrorism being brought about or being linked to refugees, etc.

However, last season was a lot about the plight of the working class police who are constantly harangued and handcuffed by their superiors.  Even though Unit 8 is constantly saving everyone's asses, they are always being blamed by the government and the public for all of society's ills.  Not sure what the general attitude is like for police in Japan and their general reception, and if I'm just misreading the show not completely grasping Japanese culture.  There could be a great misconception for police in Japan that's actually accurate, while right now, police in the US are generally seen as pariahs by the media right now that for many people is justified.  So yeah...there was that.  

27795636161_8c8384259d_z.jpg

On 6/30/2016 at 1:27 AM, Eivion said:

I need to start watching Dragon Ball Super at some point. I've only seen the first episode.

If you've seen battle of gods or resurrection of f, you can skip the first two arcs. The universe 6 vs 7 tournament and the current Future Trunks story is pretty good so far. Future Trunks is probably one of the most tragic characters in anime. 

1 minute ago, Black Angel said:

If you've seen battle of gods or resurrection of f, you can skip the first two arcs. The universe 6 vs 7 tournament and the current Future Trunks story is pretty good so far. Future Trunks is one of the most tragic characters in anime. 

I've only seen battle of gods. When does the next after it start?

So in today's WTF news, Sword Art Online Gets Live-Action American TV Series

American independent production company Skydance Television announced on Tuesday that it has acquired the global live-action television rights for the Sword Art Online (SAO) franchise from Kadokawa.

The company plans to fast-track the launch of a live-action television series. Laeta Kalogridis (Avatar, Terminator Genisys) is writing the script and executive producing along with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross of Skydance. Kalogridis, who also penned drafts for the live-action Alita: Battle Angel and Ghost in the Shell films, mentioned that she has "for years... been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."

Masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise... so they're skipping the AO arc and just doing the 1st and GGO arc's, because that's the only good arcs SAO had.

I don't know how you do the second arc is the States live action.

I found the entire S2 to be generally good. I just don't think its something that will translate well to live action, especially with the generally care the West has shown towards anime properties when it comes to adapting for live action. I'd be a lot more positive towards something more grounded.