DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

• 4 weeks later...

Active Raid picked up big time this week as the long game plot is starting to become more clear, though we still don't know a heck of a lot about Logos and their goals other than that they have an axe to grind against Unit 8 for some reason.  

Still the episode played like a major turning point.  Loving the show, and I hope it gets more attention here and a pick-up on Toonami.

Active Raid picked up big time this week as the long game plot is starting to become more clear, though we still don't know a heck of a lot about Logos and their goals other than that they have an axe to grind against Unit 8 for some reason.  

Still the episode played like a major turning point.  Loving the show, and I hope it gets more attention here and a pick-up on Toonami.

I can't really see this happening

That's too bad because it seems like a show that's tailor made for Toonami since it's fun, action-y and doesn't take itself too seriously.  It has some fun social satire, and it actually has strong female heroines who are used in the show for more than just fan service or harem plots.  

Then again, Toonami wouldn't pick up Tiger & Bunny, which I thought was a freaking travesty.

The thing is no matter how you look at the current Toonami in reality is still Adult Swim so the shows they look for swing towards a more adult style.

We are so in agreement by the way on them not picking Tiger & Bunny.

The thing is no matter how you look at the current Toonami in reality is still Adult Swim so the shows they look for swing towards a more adult style.

We are so in agreement by the way on them not picking Tiger & Bunny.

A lineup which currently has Naruto Shippuden, One Piece and DBZ Kai ;) .  Now I get why those could be exceptions since they are popular Shounen Jump properties with a wider audience and fanbase.  DBZ is still one of the most popular anime properties in the US, even post Dragonball Evolution.

Still, I think if they are going to show Gurren Lagann and Code Geas, they can show Tiger & Bunny and Active Raid.  Active Raid isn't exactly Berserk, but I wouldn't call it a kids show either.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone watched Time of Eve?  I want to pick it up, but I'm a little confused what to track down. There was a six ep net series, followed by a movie.  I'm assuming the movie and series cover the same territory, instead of the movie being a continuation of the show or an original story.  Is that right?  If it is, is the movie simply the six eps of the series compiled into one episode or is the movie a re-edited edition of the series, with footage cut out to get the running time down?  The running time of the movie was 106 minutes. I'm kinda assuming the series ran longer than that, though I'm not certain of that.

It looks like the movie was dubbed in English and the series was subtitled but not dubbed.  Is that right?

First season of IBO is over and a second is coming from the looks of it. It really is the most I have enjoyed a main series Gundam in a long while. One thing I have to say though it really was hard for me to find much sympathy for any of the main Gjallarhorn bad guys. Even with the big betrayal they all face I couldn't help but want to see them bite it as they were mostly pushed by pride veiled in false nobility.

Well now I know why I enjoy food wars so damn much... it is directed Yoshitomo Yoshitani one of the series planners and episode director for our one and only King of Braves... GAOGAIGAR~!

Now I look forward to Food Wars The Second Plate even more!

James
  • Like 1

Really happy to hear we are getting more Food Wars.  It's a high quality show.

I was a little let down by the finale to Active Raid.  I wouldn't mind another season, hopefully with a more memorable villain.  But the finale was a bit anticlimactic.  Also, the backstory for the Mythos villain was sort of contrived.

I'm not someone who could contribute to this thread aside from this post, but: I'm in the process of cleaning up the back room in my home and buried in the bottom of a box of books, I found my VHS copies of Vampire Hunter D and -- get this -- Wicked City. Both of which I thought were stolen. I'm not a big anime guy but when I was the age to which the "Not For Kids" sticker was necessary, I was all about getting that shit. I spent $35 on Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend and it had to have been X-mas or birthday money because who knows how the hell else I could have got it. Anyway, here's to Streamline, salut!

tumblr_mztxvrbRQg1qd99kbo1_400.jpg

• Like 1

FYI, Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman is now streaming on Netflix, and you should all go watch it.  It's a bit nonsensical at times, but it's fun seeing the worlds of these two characters get mashed up.  

Also Sousei no Onmyouji anime just premiered.  It's sort of like your typical shounen type of action-adventure show with two young teenage exorcist heroes.  The manga is a lot of fun with some fun characters and humor, so I look forward to checking out the anime version.

The reason I recommend is because the manga I thought sort of bucked the trend of typical shounen action stories in that it progresses fairly well.  And the creator throws in some really clever, slightly meta humor about shounen manga.  There's one sequence that had me rolling with how it pokes at typical shounen conventions.

Half the fun of watching Jojo's Bizare Adventures is fidning out what they use for the closing song. First part used "Roundabout" by Yes and then Stardust Crusaders used "Walk Like An Egyptian" by the Bangles. This week we learned the closing "I Want You" by Savage Garden. I didn't expect that at all. Also this installment of Jojo is "Diamond Is Unbreakable" is one of the more insane Jojo stories and that is saying something.

James

No, I mean its a manga running since about the time HnK ended so Araki was definitely influenced by Tetsuo Hara. Hell this year marks JoJo's 30th anniversary so its influences definitely show. The old OVA from the 90s were dactually worked on by a large chunk of the old HnK staff if I remember right

James

• Like 1

Despite its goofy premise I am digging the hell outta Macross DELTA!
 Yes it has all the same tropes and callbacks you'd expect it to but the characters are engging and so far the tone is light and breezy. The fact the Macross Elysion's captain's name is a Zentran named Ernest Johnson is just icing on the cake!

James

Macross Delta kind of lost me after the first episode. Couldn't really stomach that concept with the battlefield becoming a "soundstage" and the singers harmonizing with the Veritechs.  Sort of like how the new Gatchaman show sort of lost me after the first episode. 

Like the good guys were patrolling there because they were expecting some sort of viral outbreak.  Well then why don't you get innocent bystanders to shelter or something before you start shooting missiles in the streets?  

• 3 weeks later...

Macross DELTA definitely takes a few episodes to find its footing. Episode 4 really introduces the main story with episode 5 explaing the deal about what the deal is with the bad guys and the var virus. I mean I liked FRONTIER much better than DELTA at this point in FRONTIER's run but so far DELTA is better than Macross 7 by light years so far. Oh episode 5 has appearances from Max, Miriya, Minmay, Fire Bomber, Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee. Or at least still shots of them explaining backstory for some of the characters, but it gives us some nice Mikimoto character designs.

James

I've been watching some of Log Horizon and decided to give it a try since I like the premise.  However, after going through Sword Art Online, it's sort of hard to watch something like Log Horizon.  20 episodes in, and there's still no indication of exactly what is going on.  Actual people are stuck in an MMO...but no one seems to care they are stuck in an MMO.  Like why can't they get out.  What's happening to their friends or loved ones?  What's happening to their bodies?