DVDVR Message Board

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtle Thread

Craig H

I saw it yesterday and thought it was boring. 

I also saw Guardians for a second time earlier in the day. I never had a problem believing Rocket and Groot were actually there but the Turtles didn't really feel like they were. They really stood out in the snowy mountain scene.

So when did Sacks shoot April's dad because I'm pretty sure Splinter said he died in the fire, right?

His plan was to become rich because he would provide the city with a cure. The toxin originated from his own building.

They completely wiped out the connection between Splinter and Shredder. Shredder just bursts in because they were tracking April. It's April that has the connection to everyone and she's the one who stops Shredder in the end. 

At least they kept Shredder Japanese but they didn't really play up the relationship between him and Karai.

But I have to say, the little kids in the theater seemed to enjoy it with one kid shouting, "Good job, Donnie!". Everyone laughed at Michelangelo's jokes, I just found him annoying. But whatever, as long as the kids enjoy it, they're going to continue it. I can just watch the 1990 version.

I thought it was a fun movie.  I went and saw it with my mom (if I go to the movies with her, she pays for it.  Don't judge me.) and she enjoyed it as well.  I mean its no Oscar winner but to lay back and enjoy an action movie I thought it was entertaining.  It may have helped that we saw it in one of those new theaters with the leather recliners and huge arm rests, never been so comfortable watching a movie in my life.

• 7 months later...

Hey - we do have a thread for these movies!

Variety says that Stephen Amell (the dude from Arrow) has been cast as Casey Jones for the 2nd movie

Variety says that Stephen Amell (the dude from Arrow) has been cast as Casey Jones for the 2nd movie

Damn.  I had heard rumors that he was being considered to be one of the favorites to be Commander Shepard, Nathan Drake, or Aiden Pierce should the Mass Effect, Uncharted, or Watch Dogs movie scripts ever see the light of day. 

I was kinda hoping his first action movie role would be in something decent but fuck,  Ninja Turtles?   Fire your agent, dude.

• Like 2

Damn.  I had heard rumors that he was being considered to be one of the favorites to be Commander Shepard, Nathan Drake, or Aiden Pierce should the Mass Effect, Uncharted, or Watch Dogs movie scripts ever see the light of day. 

I was kinda hoping his first action movie role would be in something decent but fuck,  Ninja Turtles?   Fire your agent, dude.

Man, he would be perfect as Nathan Drake. 

I'm kind of shocked you haven't moved this thread to the Comic Book Movies section yet.

He wouldn't have made a good Drake.

If we're casting from Arrow, I think Colin Donnell would make a good Drake. Looks wise at least.

He would be a better fit than Amell.

I'm kind of shocked you haven't moved this thread to the Comic Book Movies section yet.

Well again - I totally had blocked this thread from my memory.

I have fixed this oversight so now we can all constantly be reminded that there are going to be multiple movies in this series

• 4 weeks later...

The new movie was by far the biggest earner in the TMNT cinematic franchise. Even after adjusting for inflation, Turtles-2014 took in over a hundred million more dollars worldwide than the original 1990 movie did. By comparison, the 2007 CGI-animated flick didn't even manage to reach a hundred million total. Considering the truly ridiculous amount of negative hype and fanboy backlash that the new movie received before anyone had even seen it, those numbers ain't too shabby at all.

As for the movie itself: "meh" is really the worst thing I'd say about it. I think it's a generic-but-perfectly-tolerable action/comedy flick, and it's the very best thing that director Jonathan Liebesman has ever made by a huge damn margin. Yeah there are some annoying moments (the turtles were April's childhood pets and she named them? Shredder is now some random enforcer in a Silver Samurai suit and the Foot clan is basically led by a white guy?) but overall I've come to expect MUCH worse results than this from the gruesome twosome of Bay and Liebesman. Hell, I'd argue it's easily a better picture than anything in the live-action Transformers franchise. Even poor talentless Megan Fox was underrated in this; she was actually trying for once and seemed to understand that she was playing a specific character rather than just a disposable piece of eye candy. Sure she was miscast (and the movie's heavy focus on April-centric scenes makes it feel like the script was rewritten to vastly enlarge her part beyond whatever it was originally supposed to be) but that's a David Arquette, WCW World Champion situation: blame management's myopic blundering, not the unjustly-reviled performer who is trying everything in their limited power to make this work.

Hell, even the pro critics were unfairly harsh on the movie; it received an ouchy Rotten Tomatoes score of 21%. Which was the exact same score that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III got. Can anyone look me in the eye and honestly proclaim that the new movie was just as terrible as THAT piece of franchise-wrecking shit?