DVDVR Message Board

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtle Thread

Craig H

The vibe of the TMNT trailer felt too close to Transformers to me.  

The flying robot/metal debris is a Transformers staple and that's dead giveaway that he has some input in it.

• 2 months later...

The new TMNT trailer was attached to HTTYD2.

My kid:  "We can skip that one, can't we?"

Me:  "WE SURE CAN~!"

Thank God my daughter shares my zero fucks given attitude about this shitty movie.

• Like 1

That trailer wasn't bad overall but those horrifying turtles telling April they'll find her was legit creepy. And then she faints because it's the only thing she does. And then fucking Skrillex kicks in.

"So, they're aliens?"

"No, that's stupid, they're turtles>"

HUR HUR HUR. The only reason that line is in the movie is because everyone complained when Michael Bay said they were aliens.

Thing about TMNT is, it works best (and I am going to flat out say the original comics are the best it ever worked) when it's completely absurd, but presented completely straight.  Giant anthropomorphized turtles who are A.) Teenagers and B.) Ninjas is an incredibly ridiculous idea, but it should never be laughed at in universe.  Play it perfectly straight, and let the humor come from the basic premise.

A lot of people have picked up on something from the trailer...

William Fitcher's Eric Sachs (aka the Shredder) is seen talking to a shadowy figure and he says something like, "We've taken your armor to the next level". Well, someone brightened a screen cap and found that the man in the shadows looks like the new Nick version of Oroku Saki.

tumblr_inline_n7otxuNkco1s4f17x.png

9r0u4g.jpg

Mark Dacascos?

• 1 month later...

Not really sure the best place to put this, but I'll drop it here.

Super bizarre excerpt from Grantland's review of the movie by Wesley Morris:

Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, and Raphael go from a gang of pizza-loving brats into a clan that seems crossbred with a tag team of the professional wrestling program of your choice. (Mine: TNA’s Impact Wrestling.)

Wesley Morris: Pulitzer Prize winner, Vince Russo fan.

• Like 2

Wanted to like it, but the Turtles were barely even characters in it.  

Listen, I can have fun with a popcorn movie, but this movie was way stupider than most.  For sure a lot of what happens in the Fast sequels could never happen, but at least I can make sense of it.  

Was just hard after coming off the high of Guardians of the Galaxy and seeing what was done with Groot and Rocket to see the Turtles and Splinter so poorly handled.  And seriously, I get that Splinter is a rat, but he simply looked hideous to look at.  In the original 1990 movie he looked like a cool sort of grandfatherly rat, kind of like Yoda is this cool, sagely grandfatherly lizardy elf.  Here, Splinter looked like he carried the Black Plague and I wouldn't want to go near him or talk to him.