DVDVR Message Board

Raw Spoilers for 5/19/14

victor

Also, they were just annoying. The twitter thing doesn't bother me, however chanting RVD and ECW in 2014 can strike a nerve.

Why is chanting for RVD, a face that is supposed to get those reactions, an issue? I realize his match was awful, but the whole reason they keep bringing him back is because he's over.

Ironically enough, it's the No True Scotsman fallacy.

Any wrestling fan, if he be a true wrestling fan, will not do the Emma dance once Michael Cole tells him to.

But...I...

Good day, sir.

Yeah, but I sometimes...

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!

Really the answer is to just have really awesome guys up and down the roster. Crowds were hotter for openers in 2000 than they are for mains today.

They more or less have that though? When Curtis Axel, Cody Rhodes and R-Truth are your weakest guys regularly on TV, you've got a pretty good roster. The idea that the wrestlers are the problem just seems silly to me.

Not the talent, the booking. Nothing ever seems to matter below the top three feuds so these matches are just time killer. They also need to find ways to get fans invested into lower card guys. Too Cool being the eternal example.

OK. I agree largely with that, though I think 2000 is a perfect storm of circumstances which would be very hard to recreate. Too Cool was pretty lucky; noone saw that coming. It's not like Head Cheese really got over, or T&A, or a bunch of other stuff. It is possible to over-romanticise a little.

I think the Real Americans actually really got over a few months ago and WWE kinda threw it away, but the wider issue is that what a crowd will pop for and what will push ratings are not the same thing e.g. Zack Ryder, dancing Brodus Clay. Also, babyfaces lose cleanly constantly and people cheer for strong babyfaces - faces in 2000 did not lose clean unless they were jobbers or about to be repackaged. But I'm not surely you can go back to constant fuck finishes and 3 week title reigns. More feuds, more cheating heels and less clean jobs for babyfaces might help. A little.

P.S. - generally there were 8 matches on a PPV, so there were 8 feuds at anyone time; A WWE Title feud, a IC Title feud, a Euro Title feud, a Tag Title feud, a Hardcore Title feud and maybe a Woman's Title feud. Another one might be related somehow to Vince/Shane or a No. 1 Title match. Another one might be related to a new guy debuting, or one of a million heel turns. Other than that.....? You spilt coffee on me? I'm just saying that, again, easy to make more of this everybody had feuds thing than is true or significant.

To reiterate: I could watch Cesaro/Sheamus every single week. That Euro countering the shoulderblock was sheer bloody murder. 

...aaaaaaaand the Mun2 replay just got interrupted due to a hailstorm. MY CAR!

Okay, can't have missed much. Not a huge fan of Beat The Clock matches. 

Layla really was trying to take Summer's hair with her, which I fully endorse. For a second there I didn't think they even had a match built around this and them remembered Truth and the Funkadactyls coming out. Whoops, there goes the feed again. I don't think I've ever heard the audio just going "SCREEEEEEEEE" while the satellite desperately attempts to grind out an image before. 

The feed finally came back in again for Rollins/Batista... thank god, considering what was in between. Rollins did his typical great job here and Batista did his best to clubber hard and not drop before the end (which he did on the ramp after). Loved Ambrose on commentary saying in his greasiest tone "stay with us" right at the commercial break.

Fox/Paige was short and stiff. Not bad.

Ugh, RVD vs. Barrett? Then RVD eats a rabbit Bullhammer, gets knocked out and Barrett gets to be an arrogant patriot. Okay, that saved that, at least for the moment. 

Have to say the Cole thing was entertaining, just for crowd reaction alone. 

Of course Cena/Harper was good. Harper is like this abused swamp kid that Bray took under his wing, brainwashed and showed '90s New Japan Juniors tapes to. I honestly don't mind the crowd, there is a fine line between getting yourself over and being into it, London is always straddling that fence and I appreciate the enthusiasm ten times more than a typical US Raw crowd.

Not the talent, the booking. Nothing ever seems to matter below the top three feuds so these matches are just time killer. They also need to find ways to get fans invested into lower card guys. Too Cool being the eternal example.

OK. I agree largely with that, though I think 2000 is a perfect storm of circumstances which would be very hard to recreate. Too Cool was pretty lucky; noone saw that coming. It's not like Head Cheese really got over, or T&A, or a bunch of other stuff. It is possible to over-romanticise a little.

What's your favorite Kurrgan match???

Wyatt's singing would be better if Harper and Rowan were backing him up with a washboard and some spoons.

When I was in 2nd grade, we actually had a spoonman come to our school and perform. Every time I listen to Spoonman by Soundgarden I picture this old redneck guy in what were probably his "dress" overalls on stage playing the spoons and hamboning for a bunch of 7 year olds.

Emmett Otter fucking rules.  Instant like.  

Also, Vince Russo feels Adam Rose's rabbit needs to take bumps.

...Which is my point–-you want to get heat on Swagger? Than LET HIM DROP THE SILLY RABBIT!!! That’s heat—”ATTITUDE” heat. OR–-are we not allowed to do that because we’re “family friendly” now? I don’t know–-not there–-don’t know the rules.

Thank the lord he's gone. 

Rollings v. Batista.

Cena v. Harper.

Bray Wyatt with one of his best promos yet.

Alicia Fox's celebration.

Reigns' simple but wonderful "I put him there".

Lots of great bits to love on this show.

But my favorite thing was still Ambrose on commentary. It's almost unfathomable how great a speaker he really is (and I think he's a top five wrestler in the company, too). When he retires from wrestling he can be a commentator full time.

Emmett Otter fucking rules.  Instant like.  

Also, Vince Russo feels Adam Rose's rabbit needs to take bumps.

...Which is my point–-you want to get heat on Swagger? Than LET HIM DROP THE SILLY RABBIT!!! That’s heat—”ATTITUDE” heat. OR–-are we not allowed to do that because we’re “family friendly” now? I don’t know–-not there–-don’t know the rules.

Thank the lord he's gone. 

His wisdom will always be with us. 

Wherever a guy in a bar uses squarequotes to proudly proclaim himself to not be a "FEMINIST" before calling some girl a bitch for not hooking up with him.

Whenever your uncle uses scarequotes to proudly proclaim himself to not be "POLITICALLY CORRECT" before complaining that there are too many black quarterbacks now.

Basically wherever somebody prepares you for them making an ass of themselves by claiming to be an insurrectionist against some unseen thought police.

debate17n_6_web.jpg

His wisdom will always be with us.

• Like 3

Dave mentioned that they could be doing the gimmick where someone famous is in the rabbit suit.

Well, that rules out the Zack Ryder rumor.  *rimshot*

P.S. Russo's on Twitter now.  Unless it's a swerve and it's just someone pretending to be him.  Ratingz.