DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Wait, wait, wait...

Would Dirk/Melo/Pau be the worst defensive front court of all-time?

(Of course, if they click together offensively, they would be scary good on that end...)

Sources close to the Cavs have stated that Parker was decidedly worse than Wiggins during team workouts. Cleveland front offices historically treat drafts like the cold war is still going on, but if true there is a clear number one.

It should also be noted that the Cavs have stated they have intentions of offering two max deals this summer in addition to resigning Kyrie to a post rookie max. They do have enough to do this with the new cap.

I hope one of them is Lance Stephenson.

Would Dion Waiters still be there?  That seems like the beginning of a wrestling storyline that ends in a Hell in a Cell match.  There is no way those two could play an entire season without getting into a lockeroom fight.  I'd take Waiters, he seems like the kind of guy who has laid hands on a lot of people over the years. 

I don't think they should sign anyone other than LeBron to a max deal.  He is the only big time free agent who would ever go there, and even that is a slim chance.  They should load up on those next level down guys and try to build a team of young guys who are capable pros, but not necessarily stars.  They'll have 3 #1 picks on the roster, they need to build a complementary supporting cast and try to get the most out of those #3 picks.  Paying huge money to overpay people isn't going to work.

• Like 1

Considering that Waiters can't even play with Kyrie and went after him in the dressing room or practice I have no doubt he'd end up beating Stephenson half to death. The only difference being that the Cavs players would probably let it happen to Stephenson.

Pat Riley is awesome and this is exactly what I was saying previously. You don't blow it up because you got beat. You fucking tweak it so you can get back again next year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yveEJGBLzk

I guess he got a bunch of wishy washy responses from the Big 3 about returning. Basically called them a bunch of gutless pukes.

Yeah, but what is he supposed to say. They can say their lack of spending in the last season didn't have anything, but they sure released or traded all of their mid priced players for guys who would take the minimum just to stay in the league. They built a team that was basically devoid of role players, and now the good players are gutless for being pissed. LeBron did everything he could, Bosh played the role that they gave him, and Wade did what his body could handle, and they lost. The players job is to play, but the front office should get get as much blame as the players because they built a team that couldn't compete at the highest level. Riley is entertaining, but he is also completely full of shit. Every time a player wants to go to a better team it is because he is a coward, it is never because the people in charge aren't building a good enough team. Maybe the front office people should have to do their jobs too.

I don't think that's just Pat Riley, I think that's often the American workplace.

Not mine though, -wink-.

It would be really fucking bad, but yeah, if they are putting up like 120 a night it may not matter.

Denver tried that with Paul Westhead as the coach.  Didn't work so hot.

• Like 1

Am halfway through Jeff Pearlman's book Showtime about the Magic Johnson era of the LA Lakers.  It's awesome.  Go out and buy/read it today.  Full of candid opinions about everybody.

Will  you enjoy it even if you hate the Lakers? 

Oh yeah!

Pearlman's cornered the market on sleazy/scandalous sports retrospectives. In the Showtime book, you can read all about Spencer Heywood putting out a hit to kill off a coach he hated, for instance. There are so many tales of stuff like that. It's awesome.

His book about the 90s Cowboys starts with a story about Michael Irving nearly slitting the throat of a rookie who refused to get out of the team barber's chair.

The book on the '86 Mets is absolutely amazing. It's just non-stop ridiculousness.

It would be really fucking bad, but yeah, if they are putting up like 120 a night it may not matter.

Denver tried that with Paul Westhead as the coach.  Didn't work so hot.

I doubt we get Melo, but I think if we added Deng/Gasol, and somehow kept Carter, Harris, Blair and Marion, that would be a pretty tough ass team to beat.

Shit, i want to read all of those books now

His book on Roger Clemens is fantastic.  It's BY FAR the best thing you'll ever read on Clemens.  It's really, really balanced.

The Cowboys book, as mentioned, is just balls-to-the-walls crazy.  Great stuff.

The Bonds book is great.

And I still need to read the Mets one.

Pearlman's cornered the market on sleazy/scandalous sports retrospectives. In the Showtime book, you can read all about Spencer Heywood putting out a hit to kill off a coach he hated, for instance. There are so many tales of stuff like that. It's awesome.

That was Paul Westhead.  I loved the story of their reunion.  Haywood apologizes for the hit and Westhead is all "I'm happy to see you cuz if you'd gone through with it, I wouldn't be able to see you".

What I don't get with Paul Westhead is this: He takes over McKinney's team and keeps the fast break offense and wins a title.  Then he slows things down to "put his own stamp on things" which is dumb but I get.  What I don't get is why putting his own stamp on things meant slowing it down?  Everywhere else he coached, Westhead's teams rank like crazy - Loyola Marymount, the Nuggets, etc.

So the Jazz have offered the Cavs the fifth and twenty third picks along with Derrick Favors and Alec Burks in exchange for the number one pic and Jarrett Jack.

I would rather get Gordon Heyward in a sign and trade involved, but I don't outright hate this trade.

So the Jazz have offered the Cavs the fifth and twenty third picks along with Derrick Favors and Alec Burks in exchange for the number one pic and Jarrett Jack.

I would rather get Gordon Heyward in a sign and trade involved, but I don't outright hate this trade.

You know what as a a Jazz fan I say FUCK that. Way too much to give up for anyone that isn't a lebron caliber player and I don't think that Parker is that good. 

ESPN is doing a twitter mock draft and my "FIRE CHAD FORD" tweet made its way on there after Ford fake traded the Lakers 7th pick for MCW.  I'd rather have a shot at drafting Randle, Gordon or Smart. I think they'll be better than MCW.