DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I was hoping to get another mixtape done before I disconnect on Friday, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. Bob Backlund will totally be on it. And Vader killing something.

Did Backlund do much at all between his WWF runs?

Wikipedia suggests he was involved with the NWA/AWA and Herb Adams UWF? Did he wrestle much anywhere else? Japan?

I think Wikipedia really needs to be edited to say "Bob Backlund stepped into a stasis capsule at some point in 1984 and did not escape the capsule until 1992 to make his return to the WWF"

Did Backlund do much at all between his WWF runs?

Wikipedia suggests he was involved with the NWA/AWA and Herb Adams UWF? Did he wrestle much anywhere else? Japan?

I think Wikipedia really needs to be edited to say "Bob Backlund stepped into a stasis capsule at some point in 1984 and did not escape the capsule until 1992 to make his return to the WWF"

He worked at least two matches for the UWF in Japan in '89, and I believe he worked an indy show against Terry Funk around 1990 or so.  But yeah, he kept a pretty low profile.

He did some New Japan stuff(I think his match with Choshu is the only one on tape from this specific post-WWF period), and some UWF-i stuff in Japan.

Backlund worked WAR because he held the 6 man title with Scott Putski and the Warlord

I love that they won and lost the titles to a team featuring Jado and Gedo. Warlord probably ate enough shark steaks to equal their combined weight that afternoon.

Savage/DDP was up there, IMO. See Savage/DDP at Spring Stampede 1997 and GAB 1997. 

The only thing that mars it is that Savage had the nonsensical heel turn to set up the feud. The weekly shows were driving toward a Sting/Savage/DDP coalition that would challenge the NWO, and Savage's heel turn made no sense. The matches are actually better in a vacuum when you don't realize why these two are feuding. 

Savage & Flair from GAB 95 was pretty good as well, better than some of Savage's lesser WWF work but not sniffing his best stuff for Titan.

Savage/DDP was up there, IMO. See Savage/DDP at Spring Stampede 1997 and GAB 1997. 

this was going to be my #1 example. i also dig the Halloween Havoc match, but it isn't really on par with the other 2.

his stuff with Flair is ok, but doesn't touch their Mania match.

I find the Hog Wild Giant match to be surprisingly good as far as WCW Hogan goes.

This is why I shouldn't post after cocktails and pancakes. What I really meant to ask was how everyone rated their stuff in WCW against each other vs. their WWF stuff. I know they tagged a lot in '95, which I've seen, but outside of the title matches in '99 I really haven't seen too much of them against each other there.

I really want to see Backlund in WAR because his BattlARTS stuff was aces. And that bit that Jae posted is the fucking BEST. That was so chaotic and Savage was killing it on commentary; Vince was great giving attitude to Backlund setting it up too. You could tell we was going to relish getting physical. (cue Olivia Newton-John)

I think he also said he wanted to give a bump to Terry Gordy because he was a talented up-and-comer, but that's a peripheral reason.

EDIT: He also said he had some good money and he could make it in the business world, and that he was working in the movie business by then anyway.

lollllllllllllllll

http://youtu.be/ctBa0_4H0g8

The reason I've always like Ryder, despite his many limitations, is stuff like this. The WWE machine is giving him nothing, so he's taking it upon himself to try to get something going. Is it the best? No. But it's an effort. Compare that to someone like Justin Gabriel. Gabriel has much more talent than Zack, but seems to be just fine coasting along collecting checks until he gets released.
  • Like 3

When the AWA and NWA among others formed Pro Wrestling USA to try and fight back against the WWF expansion, they brought out Flair, Martel, and Backlund as the three Champs on their first TV show. Backlund was being billed as the "real" WWF Champ because he'd been "screwed" out of the belt. He got that shot against Martel and worked there for a short bit.

The moment Zack Ryder banged on that wall and it became clear that he was failing to muster up that Serious Business Fire that he was going for, is the exact  moment that video went from being good to sad.

I'm pretty sure the last time I watched Zack Ryder wrestle was when he won that belt.

• Like 3