DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Speaking of Backlund, is there a formal name for those silly-looking steps that he does in the ring?

It's the Harvard Step Test and Mr. Backlund sells a home version here: http://www.backlundenergy.com/home.html . I recall watching him demo this during a episode of WWWF and Sgt Slaughter took the opportunity to attack Arnold Skaaland. BB also ab wheel-ed during an entire TV show to inspire an "injured" Eddie Gilbert. The man was, and is, a machine.

-Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, Johnson, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama,
RAF
  • Like 1

So it appears James Storm is gonna appear on one episode of Sarah Palin's dumb reality show. Oh boy.

And TNA will neither promote it nor gain a single viewer.

Palin, on the other hand, will ride the votes of BEER! MONEY! fans all the way to the white house.

Probably not, tho.

• Like 1

I want Bob Backlund to do some infomercials for Gym in a Box.

I could see people seriously buying that product, even if they have the stuff included in the gym in a box in their houses already

also, Backlund did this in-between 1984 and 1992:

He was seriously doing the 1994 WWF gimmick in the late 80s, he just amped it up a little bit and shaved his head

So it appears James Storm is gonna appear on one episode of Sarah Palin's dumb reality show. Oh boy.

And TNA will neither promote it nor gain a single viewer.

That's a given.

Anywho, based on the Smackdown spoilers, it looks like the Shield vs.

Kane & NAO

at Mania.

Speaking of Backlund, is there a formal name for those silly-looking steps that he does in the ring?

It's the Harvard Step Test and Mr. Backlund sells a home version here: http://www.backlundenergy.com/home.html . I recall watching him demo this during a episode of WWWF and Sgt Slaughter took the opportunity to attack Arnold Skaaland. BB also ab wheel-ed during an entire TV show to inspire an "injured" Eddie Gilbert. The man was, and is, a machine.

-Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, Johnson, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama,

RAF

You forgot Grant. You do not get a Bob Backlund autograph. Instead, you will probably learn about 50 synonyms for tear because he will be describing what's happening to your muscles when he puts you in the cross face chicken wing.

• Like 1

If we're sharing random Bob Backlund memories, here are a couple of mine.

--I met him at a Smackdown taping in 2000.  It was when he was claiming to run for president.  He didn't appear on the show but they let him set up a merch booth.  He would posr for a picture if you bought one of his 8 x 10's.  Which, of course, duh, I did.  So I posed for my picture, then my friend did the same.  My friend ended up getting put in the crossface chicken wing.  Being jealous, I asked to be out in it.  I didn't get a photo of it unfortunately, but the feeling I walked away with was how he could have torn my neck and shoulder to shreds with just a little pressure.  He put it on just snug enough to let you know, and I had his forearm tightly across my chin.  Pretty cool.  And honestly, either the guy is the greatest actor of all time, or he's just not all there.  Even "out of character", he just seems.......off. 

--A couple years before that I saw him wrestle Koko B Ware in Richmond, IN.  Bob was a last minute replacement for Greg Valentine.  He worked a foreign object the entire match, which he kept hiding from the ref by placing it in the back of his tights.  The object?  An empty plastic 20 oz Coke bottle.  My memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe the finish was Bob walking out and getting counted out, after which he came back and yelled a lot.

• Like 2

Similar but different story about meeting a wrestler. Bryan Danielson was at a DGUSA show in between stints in WWE around the time he was fired for the tie incident. There was a meet and greet before the show and I walk up to him and pull out a tie I had purchased from a thrift store down the street from the building. I then ask to have a picture taken with him choking me out with a tie. Even though he went light with it, that's probably something I would never do again as that hurt like a motherfucker.

• Like 2

Watching the Backlund Chickenwing video shows how awesome that whole character was back then and still is today. It's a shame they have no one who could even come close to pulling off something like that. While watching the video it made me wonder did Backlund and Randy Savage ever have a match? You would think they would have had one based off that pull apart.

oh yeah, I just realized the obvious thing that would happen during Bob Backlund's infomercial for Gym in a Box... he would be doing the Harvard Step Test during the entire freaking program. It'd be a half-hour in the realm of when Mr. T was doing infomercials for some reason

• Like 1

oh yeah, I just realized the obvious thing that would happen during Bob Backlund's infomercial for Gym in a Box... he would be doing the Harvard Step Test during the entire freaking program. It'd be a half-hour in the realm of when Mr. T was doing infomercials for some reason

Mr. T had the best infomercial ever for one of those countertop convection ovens (I think the Flavorwave). He asked in amazement how you could cook fried chicken with out any oil. The WWE should have late night infomercials with WWE legends and hall of famers. Who wouldn't watch Bob Backlund demonstrating the magic bullet blender.

• Like 2

The moment Zack Ryder banged on that wall and it became clear that he was failing to muster up that Serious Business Fire that he was going for, is the exact  moment that video went from being good to sad.

I'm pretty sure the last time I watched Zack Ryder wrestle was when he won that belt.

I've seen plenty since then, but I agree that i'm just not sure he has 'serious heel guy' in him. And, in the end, there's just a whole bunch of guys in NXT who deserve a shot on the main show more than Ryder deserves a fourth run. I'd rather see Corey Graves, and I'm not even sure I like Corey Graves.

Zack Ryder as a manager in tights might work. This disgruntled employees stable needs less Dolph Ziggler and more Mark Henry though.

I think the dude has his merits in the current kid friendly WWE. He belongs in the same categorie as Kofi, Santino and R-truth. Decent guys, but not really that interesting anymore. In order for Ryder to truly recover he should have a complete make-over/gimmick overhaul. The guy is a pretty big dude (this surprised me a lot when I saw him at a house show a while ago) and has charisma. His wrestling isn't amazing, but I have seen worse performers. The dude has also shown he can make people care about his angles/matches if he doesn't have his legs cut out from under him.. 

To be honest I don't see a super serial heel not working for him.

• Like 1

This probably belongs in the old school questions/WWE Network threads, but assume I'll get more eyeballs here.

Was Madusa considered a good wrestler?  I just watched her match with Luna on Superbrawl '97 and she was sloppy as hell in it.  At least with the current crop of divas you've got "increased fundamentals*"

*® WNBA

Yes she was a good worker.

I mean she trained with All Japan Women for like 3 years in the late 80s/early 90s - it's not like they handed those out to anyone (especially non-Japanese girls)

If you are basing it on a match in 97 - then I can see why you say that as that was when she was starting to end her career (and do more training)

And are you sure it was Superbrawl?

I don't see a Madusa/Luna match on any Superbrawl card - let alone 1997

EDIT - Do you mean Slamboree 1997?