DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

RVD's rolling senton works a lot better as a post match taunt than as an actual piece of offense.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshha1XGyD6Bof35s87P

Haha well-done, Kid.

I am a little bit worried about this being a fight, though, which every kid in the neighborhood chose to watch and film. Maybe it was a work all along?

Random:  Orndorff has been publically bitter about his perceived place in Rasslin History. I am watching some 1984 WWF today. Orndorff is certainly good. He had a great physique, too. But I feel like he lacks a certain spark which would put him within the all-time greats. People like Hogan needed a guy like him to work off. But it doesn't mean Orndorff is at Hogan's level.

It got me to thinking. Who would be in the same place today? Someone who was decent enough, who could work Main Event and Upper-Midcard matches adequately. But who just isn't quite there when it comes to calling him a superstar. Kane, maybe?

Jim Cornette just did an AMA on reddit.

[–]DixieCarterPresident 104 points

2 hours

ago

Hey darlin. Who was your nicest boss and why was it Dixie Carter?

[–]jimcornette[S] 124 points

2 hours

ago

I have had a lot of GREAT wrestling bosses like Watts, Dusty, Jerry Jarrett, etc--NICEST boss I ever had was Cary Silkin--I considered Jeff Jarrett my boss in TNA and Dixie was there because she had a rich Daddy, darlin--

[–]DixieCarterPresident 98 points

2 hours

ago

:(

I'm not the biggest Cornette fan, as over the years I've found his outbursts to be really repetitive and whiny, but that right there is comedy.

His angry man schtick works better in print than audio or video.

RVD's rolling senton works a lot better as a post match taunt than as an actual piece of offense.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshha1XGyD6Bof35s87P

Haha well-done, Kid.

I am a little bit worried about this being a fight, though, which every kid in the neighborhood chose to watch and film. Maybe it was a work all along?

If it was, then WWE needs to hire these kids to show their guys how to throw punches.

Foley said Bobby was the only person to make a scaffold match look good because he actually worked up there. I think I saw MX/Roadies from the Bash on tape way back in the day, and remember it completely sucking, so what do you guys think about it? 

Was going to mention the Brian Lee/Dreamer one before I saw Brian's post. At least in that one you got to see a huge dude blast through a ring full of tables...

Random:  Orndorff has been publically bitter about his perceived place in Rasslin History. I am watching some 1984 WWF today. Orndorff is certainly good. He had a great physique, too. But I feel like he lacks a certain spark which would put him within the all-time greats. People like Hogan needed a guy like him to work off. But it doesn't mean Orndorff is at Hogan's level.

It got me to thinking. Who would be in the same place today? Someone who was decent enough, who could work Main Event and Upper-Midcard matches adequately. But who just isn't quite there when it comes to calling him a superstar. Kane, maybe?

That's a tough one. Kane, despite some of the bullshit they've had him do, hasn't ever not been over. Plus, he had the WWF title for a day in addition to the "lifetime achievement" ECW and WHC runs, which is more than can be said for Orndorff as far as meaningful runs.  I mean, Kane and Bryan polished the hell out of that Dr. Shelby turd-- compare that to Orndorff's motivational talk from Gary Spivey.

As far as someone who I'd put in that boat today, I'd have to say The Miz, despite his time with the title. I liked his smarminess, but the fact is, he, like Orndorff, was unfortunately part of one of the lesser-celebrated WM mains despite being surrounded by stars, and probably won't reach that level again unless there is some serious rehabilitation to his character.

Fine, Jim Herd's an asshole.  Great.  He's also been out of the business for over two decades.   The company he ran hasn't even existed for well over a decade.  And yet he still lives rent-free in Cornette's head.  It's just not healthy.

Its not like he said it unprompted. Someone asked and he answered. 

And a lot of it is Cornette working shtick. Like asking Rodney Dangerfield about his ex wife so he can do zingers. 

• Like 1

That's a tough one. Kane, despite some of the bullshit they've had him do, hasn't ever not been over. Plus, he had the WWF title for a day in addition to the "lifetime achievement" ECW and WHC runs, which is more than can be said for Orndorff as far as meaningful runs.  I mean, Kane and Bryan polished the hell out of that Dr. Shelby turd-- compare that to Orndorff's motivational talk from Gary Spivey.

As far as someone who I'd put in that boat today, I'd have to say The Miz, despite his time with the title. I liked his smarminess, but the fact is, he, like Orndorff, was unfortunately part of one of the lesser-celebrated WM mains despite being surrounded by stars, and probably won't reach that level again unless there is some serious rehabilitation to his character.

"Daniel Bryan" said FSW. 

Maybe Hardcore Holly? An occasional challenger to the top guys, a credible threat in ECW.

Razor Ramon, maybe?

Interesting choices. The Miz might be a very good comparison, moreso than my Kane suggestion.

Especially if you're granting that Orndorff only had one really high profile run as a singles main eventer, in the Hogan feud. IIRC for Miz, he got about a year of buildup and a bit of time with the belt (unlike Paul O, though that's not fair because WWE had to "top" belts). He got that high profile clusterfuck of a Mania main.

And where is he now? More or less invisible.

Razor certainly works in my book under "Guy who was pretty danged over but who I could care less about". I appreciate his talent and his look, but he doesn't do it for me.

Just like Orndorff.

"Daniel Bryan" said FSW. 

Maybe Hardcore Holly? An occasional challenger to the top guys, a credible threat in ECW.

Razor Ramon, maybe?

I disagree, but only because I thought Hall would've been a great main event guy. Maybe I overrate him a bit because I'm such a fan of his stuff, but I put him in that Hennig/Rude/Jake boat of "should've beens."

• Like 1

Interesting choices. The Miz might be a very good comparison, moreso than my Kane suggestion.

Especially if you're granting that Orndorff only had one really high profile run as a singles main eventer, in the Hogan feud. IIRC for Miz, he got about a year of buildup and a bit of time with the belt (unlike Paul O, though that's not fair because WWE had to "top" belts). He got that high profile clusterfuck of a Mania main.

And where is he now? More or less invisible.

Razor certainly works in my book under "Guy who was pretty danged over but who I could care less about". I appreciate his talent and his look, but he doesn't do it for me.

Just like Orndorff.

Agree entirely on the two belts thing. I actually wrote a bit about that in my post, but decided to axe it because by the time Kane had the WHC, it was kind of reaching that status as being not as important as the WWE title. So a good comparison would've been if they put the IC on Orndorff, at least in my mind. Could not disagree more on Razor, but like I said, I'm a huge fan of his so I may overrate him a little.

"Daniel Bryan" said FSW. 

Razor Ramon, maybe?

I disagree, but only because I thought Hall would've been a great main event guy. Maybe I overrate him a bit because I'm such a fan of his stuff, but I put him in that Hennig/Rude/Jake boat of "should've beens."

How about Crush?

I was just watching Bash at the Beach 94 on the Network with Hogan/Flair and it got me thinking, was Hogans first WCW match his best?

The only others that really come to mind that might compare are his steel cage rematch with Flair at Halloween Havoc or maybe against Vader at Uncensored 95.

Paul Orndorff is much more awesome than you guys are giving him credit for.

This is true, he got nuclear heat fighting Hogan. People bought him beating Hogan for the belt. 

He also put everything he had into the Gary Spivey thing. He did not do any tongue in cheek crap, he sold it like he was having a break down. 

I wish Orndorff had been the masked man who bashed in Hogan's knee in 94.

• Like 1

Outside of his heel stint hanging out with Piper and Orton, I actually enjoy Orndorff the most in '95 right after the Gary Spivey thing, where he has the ridiculous HE'S WONDERFUL SO WONDERFUL AND HE KNOWS IT TOOOOOOOOO music and is putting on really fun TV matches most Nitros. 

It's a shame he had to retire just around that time because I really wanted to see him get revenge on the Horsemen for putting him out with a brutal attack. I would have liked to see Savage and Orndorff team up to try and take down Flair and Arn. 

I was just watching Bash at the Beach 94 on the Network with Hogan/Flair and it got me thinking, was Hogans first WCW match his best?

The only others that really come to mind that might compare are his steel cage rematch with Flair at Halloween Havoc or maybe against Vader at Uncensored 95.

Honest to God, I really can't make an assertion as to my favorite WCW Hulk match. I legitimately cannot formulate an opinion because I have a weirdly nostalgic stance on even his worst shit with, say, Sid or The Wall. I suppose if I had a gun to my head, I'd agree with the ones you listed. Maybe Starrcade 97 and SuperBrawl VIII, not because of his work itself, but just because that Sting build was such a huge part of my childhood and coming of age as far as what I can appreciate now.

Outside of his heel stint hanging out with Piper and Orton, I actually enjoy Orndorff the most in '95 right after the Gary Spivey thing, where he has the ridiculous HE'S WONDERFUL SO WONDERFUL AND HE KNOWS IT TOOOOOOOOO music and is putting on really fun TV matches most Nitros. 

It's a shame he had to retire just around that time because I really wanted to see him get revenge on the Horsemen for putting him out with a brutal attack. I would have liked to see Savage and Orndorff team up to try and take down Flair and Arn. 

I mean, obviously the Flair/Arn matches would've been off the charts, but I think Orndorff/Pillman couldve had a really cool dynamic as well