DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

BTW, since I posted the Heiden-rape scene before, I couldn't not link my two favourite Heidenreich moments.

Snitsky Meets Heidenreich

http://dai.ly/x6u32r

Might just be my favourite wrestling segment.  Heidenreich's confusing emphasis on the word 'jacket' ("Come back with my JACKET!"), the grunting, the line "I like what you do to babies".

Unfortunately, I can't currently find their other great moment, when Heidenreich was going to be in a casket match and Snitsky came up to him and said "I hear you don't like caskets" to which Heidenreich replied "Like them? I hate caskets."  I actually really miss Snitsky and Heidenreich being on my TV every week.

Heidenreich was suppose to be at the Powerslam Productions/Wrestling Outreach "Don't Call it a comeback" show in Picayune MS about 2 weeks ago. But he no-showed it. Was told there is a long story behind him not being there. But they still had Ted Dibiase Jr and Luke Hawx.Plus they played a video of Tully Blachard preaching for 10 minutes.

I don't understand why someone would go to a wrestling show for creepy reasons unless Magnus is on the card.

Everything gets creepy when people get too far into it.

You mean like how far I want to get into Magnus?

...I'm really, really sorry.

• Like 2

I don't understand why someone would go to a wrestling show for creepy reasons unless Magnus is on the card.

Everything gets creepy when people get too far into it.

You mean like how far I want to get into Magnus?

...I'm really, really sorry.

You should be. It's not natural. It's an abomination toward God. It's shameful and disgusting. I mean honestly Big Fresh...he works for TNA. You could do better.

• Like 7

I think you all have given more thought about Zack Ryder in the last day then the WWE has in the last two years combined. You have to admire Zack as mentioned before. He could easily just be like other guys on the roster and cost and not try to poke his head up and keep collection easy pay checks. But he's trying his darndest to get noticed again.

I like Zack. I think he's a guy people want to root for. But the WWE has shown if you try to get yourself over with out their help you will pay for it. The WWE is a weird place. They constantly say they want guys who will reach for the brass ring on their own and when someone does he ends up like Zack Ryder.

I really hate that "WWE punished Zack for getting over" meme. I think they started rewarding him for getting over, but something else happened. Didn't someone say that backstage Zack was his own worst enemy or something like that?

I really hate that "WWE punished Zack for getting over" meme. I think they started rewarding him for getting over, but something else happened. Didn't someone say that backstage Zack was his own worst enemy or something like that?

Watching that video it's pretty clear to me that this is the case.

Brainwashed Mike Davis as Dusty Rhodes

I've seen a lot of stupid Kevin Sullivan stuff, but this fits into that small pile of really awesome stuff he did with that devil worshipper/cult leader gimmick.

Zack, much like his buddy Dolph were/are vocal about the level of their push. Rumors indicate that this gives them heat. Of course I'm guessing they would be in the same position on the card if they kept their mouths shut and those they have heat with preach the importance of speaking up and not taking no for an answer.

I remember from Hollys book, he wrote about how in order to get ahead you need a big player in creative enamored with you. With a guy like Ryder certain, not all, crowds were really feeling him but creative had no idea what to do with it.

I witnessed Rydermania first hand at Survivor Series11 at MSG. He was easily the third most over guy after Punk and Rock before a super vocal crowd. I don't know how at the very least you don't turn that into a few years of sell outs at the Nassau Coliseum.

On the subject of AAW, has anyone else checked out their new TV show?  The first three episodes are up on YouTube.  It was about what I expected:  A lot of ROH-style action.  The main focus has been the Silas Young-Eddie Kingston feud and there hasn't been much emphasis on the main title so far.

The "something else" that happened was that once he was given a little leeway he was exposed as being, I think the technical term is, dog shit turrible

• Like 4

Watching the Piper/Funk episode of the Roundtable yesterday. They're talking about Terry still working indies and the kids not trying to learn from him. Paraphrasing from memory:

Dusty -- If I were on an indie card with Terry, I would be pulling him aside and picking his brain. Trying to learn everything I could. But they're too busy trying to think up their next flippy move.

Hayes -- Flippy move?

Ross -- What, like a hurricanrana?

Dusty - Yeah, a hurricanrana. I never did one of those, to this day.

They're just being crotchety old dudes complaining about the kids getting off their lawn. But it cracked me up. I love Dusty on these rountables.

It also occurs to me that this episode may never get on the network, even though it was really good, because there's a bizarre vignette about them vaselining up their hands to shove something up the bare ass of a naked Flair they've talked into getting onto a table in all fours -- and a young Piper walks in, says hello, turns around, and walks out.

Ryder certainly isn't main event good, but there's no reason he couldn't be in like the same spot as Kofi right now. He'd probably move some merch if he got just one segment on Raw or SD a week.

I don't buy the "WWE won't push him because he got over without help" line because Daniel Bryan, but they could probably extract a little more value from Ryder if they wanted to.

Zack, much like his buddy Dolph were/are vocal about the level of their push. Rumors indicate that this gives them heat. Of course I'm guessing they would be in the same position on the card if they kept their mouths shut and those they have heat with preach the importance of speaking up and not taking no for an answer.

I remember from Hollys book, he wrote about how in order to get ahead you need a big player in creative enamored with you. With a guy like Ryder certain, not all, crowds were really feeling him but creative had no idea what to do with it.

I witnessed Rydermania first hand at Survivor Series11 at MSG. He was easily the third most over guy after Punk and Rock before a super vocal crowd. I don't know how at the very least you don't turn that into a few years of sell outs at the Nassau Coliseum.

I think it was Mick Foley who said that Ryder never went to Vince directly to talk about his character and his future.  Without winning over Vince, I don't think anyone's ever going to get a sustained push.

I've been to both AAW shows and Shimmer shows in Berwyn, and the crowds are equally awful but for different reasons. AAW is full of super smarky douches that spend the entire night trying to get dumb chants to catch on. Shimmer shows are full of dudes that may as well be wearing t shirts that say 'Id rather be masturbating'. A few years ago a dude in sweat pants, a home made Daizee Haze t shirt, and the John Cena US Title scolded me because I was 'talking, not watching'. Despite all that, Shimmer can be an ok time because at least the crowd that goes are all really in to the show as opposed to trying to get themselves over.

Lastly, I don't know if my experience is unique, but some of the shimmer shows I have been to ran super long. Like, not quite IWA: MS long, but long enough where I always thought about leaving before the main or regretting it in the morning.

If I were scolded by a wrestling fan at a wrestling show, I think I'd whoop an ass.

• Like 2

I feel like Ryder worked immensely hard to get himself over, but assumed that once he was there, he would stay there in perpetuity. I obviously have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or how hard people work, but it seemed to me as though Ryder let his story come to an organic end as opposed to working even harder to keep his character fresh and over. 

Fans of SHIMMER are a subset of a subset of rasslin fans. They also can only see the shows live a few times a year, and so some of them save up and fly from all over the world. (especially the last few years, when Prazak started bringing in workers from Japan, England, and Australia. (Note: I just recently discovered that Paige used to be Brittani Knight, who wrestled a number of SHIMMER shows -- I have to say that the WWE makeover has been very; very good for her. But anyway. . .)  My point is that these people are dedicated.

I flew to Chicago in 2008 for the vol 19-20 tapings. (they're in the 60's now) I didn't find the crowd creepy, because I was one of them. Also looking back, I don't think those fans were any neckbeardier than the ones at the three PWG shows I attended that year.

I haven't been obsessed with joshi or chick rasslin for years now. I might think differently about the crowd. Or maybe it's a different crowd now. But I doubt I would have an issue. The people I talked to there were nice enough folks, and it was a good time -- although taping 2 DVDs in one night made for a long show.

Now, if you're talking about those creepy companies in Florida that, at least in 2008, booked the ladies for these almost softcore matches in empty rooms --and then sold the matches for around $10 a piece, then yes. That's a little bit scary. And aside from the fact that I know it supported some of my favorite ladies financially, I am ashamed to have bought a few of those. Thankfully, I have long since forgotten the name of the company. And when megaupload went down and took several hundred gigs of files I had archived, away went all my chick rasslin as well as all the other wrestling vids I had spent several years accumulating.

Watching the Piper/Funk episode of the Roundtable yesterday. They're talking about Terry still working indies and the kids not trying to learn from him. Paraphrasing from memory:

Dusty -- If I were on an indie card with Terry, I would be pulling him aside and picking his brain. Trying to learn everything I could. But they're too busy trying to think up their next flippy move.

Hayes -- Flippy move?

Ross -- What, like a hurricanrana?

Dusty - Yeah, a hurricanrana. I never did one of those, to this day.

They're just being crotchety old dudes complaining about the kids getting off their lawn. But it cracked me up. I love Dusty on these rountables.

It also occurs to me that this episode may never get on the network, even though it was really good, because there's a bizarre vignette about them vaselining up their hands to shove something up the bare ass of a naked Flair they've talked into getting onto a table in all fours -- and a young Piper walks in, says hello, turns around, and walks out.

They are right though.  This is the mindset of many of the kids on the indies.

Concerning the "creepy" fans, I have some mild experience with this.  The most viewed match of mine that is publicly posted on Youtube is a match I had with Adam Page a few years ago.  It's got well over 3000 hits, and it's not because the match was any good.  I'll just let y'all think on that one for a minute.

The funniest thing on a Shimmer show is when one of the women get thrown out of the ring and the dudes in the crowd try to snap a crotch shot because I assumed most of those guys were gay what with the wearing variations of "Support Women's Wrestling" shirts.

Remember that time Ryder's opponent had a wardrobe malfunction and while homeboy was desperately trying to cover his twig 'n berries with one hand and cover his ass with the other, Ryder just kept running through all his spots like nothing happened.

My favorite Ryder moment was during that period when everybody was pretending that they wanted Ryder and he gave his headband to a kid at ringside and he tried to film the moment with his phone and:

1) The kid clearly had no idea who Ryder was

2) Instead of fist pumping like Ryder wanted, kid gave him the standard take a picture with a wrestler static fist pose instead.

He's such an awful babyface.  How does someone look at him or Miz and go, yeah, people will get behind these guys whose sole talent is having a punchable face.  At least Ziggler's athletic but he has no business being a babyface either especially with his whiny promos about how he sports entertains better than anyone and that's why he should be World Champion.

• Like 1

WWE.com has a history piece on the wars of Brock and Taker, so I'm curious, are they going to acknowledge that Brock had his number when Taker was in his prime or is just another case of WWE.com doing its own thing?

They are right though.  This is the mindset of many of the kids on the indies.

Concerning the "creepy" fans, I have some mild experience with this.  The most viewed match of mine that is publicly posted on Youtube is a match I had with Adam Page a few years ago.  It's got well over 3000 hits, and it's not because the match was any good.  I'll just let y'all think on that one for a minute.

Just throwing it out there:  How many other people on here are either current or former wrestlers?  I know a few; just wanted to find out...

Well, not all veterans are likely to be helpful, so maybe guys have learned not to ask.

I've heard a story that Jimmy Jacobs once asked Bobby Heenan for advice. His response was something along the lines of, "Get all the pussy you can, 'cause you're going nowhere."

• Like 6

It was Dusty helping Flair shove hemorrhoids the size of golf balls back into his asshole with the aid of vaseline.

• Like 1