DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Been on an early-years Starcade kick the last few days. I hadn't seen the Andersons-RnR match since renting the VHS clipped version when I was a kid, and OH MY GOD did I forget how fucking great it was, even though they completely ignored the prologue that put the match together in the first place (the Andersons breaking Gibson's ribs). Didn't matter. It was everything good about both teams.

That match was so awesome. That has to be the meanest booked match ever though. The fans were on the verge of a heart attack for damn near the entire time Ricky was in the ring. You gotta wonder if Morton did all that selling on purpose just to mess with the fans b/c he came oh so close to the hot tag so many times during that match. The Andersons were great at cutting off the ring.
I watched an episode of Pro from just before that Starcade as well, and one of the matches on there was the MWC against Horner/Royal. Good little TV match, but the one thing Caudle/Weaver really put over was how well they cut the ring off. So against the RNRs not only was it a case of the crowd hoping for the hot tag, but Greensboro was well-conditioned to how good the Andersons were at defending that. It made a desparate situation more desparate.

You know who needs to work stuff like that in? The Dust Brothers.

Been on an early-years Starcade kick the last few days. I hadn't seen the Andersons-RnR match since renting the VHS clipped version when I was a kid, and OH MY GOD did I forget how fucking great it was, even though they completely ignored the prologue that put the match together in the first place (the Andersons breaking Gibson's ribs). Didn't matter. It was everything good about both teams.

That match was so awesome. That has to be the meanest booked match ever though. The fans were on the verge of a heart attack for damn near the entire time Ricky was in the ring. You gotta wonder if Morton did all that selling on purpose just to mess with the fans b/c he came oh so close to the hot tag so many times during that match. The Andersons were great at cutting off the ring.
I watched an episode of Pro from just before that Starcade as well, and one of the matches on there was the MWC against Horner/Royal. Good little TV match, but the one thing Caudle/Weaver really put over was how well they cut the ring off. So against the RNRs not only was it a case of the crowd hoping for the hot tag, but Greensboro was well-conditioned to how good the Andersons were at defending that. It made a desparate situation more desparate.

You know who needs to work stuff like that in? Every current WWE tag-team.

FIFY

Rollins and Reigns were actually really good at being Anderson-esque bully dicks. They mixed in a lot of good cutting off the ring stuff with quality trash talk. I'll never forget the match they had against The Dust Brothers where Dustin left a chair in the ring and Reigns picks it up to him and goes, "you idiot! You never leave the chair!"

Re: Best In The World

I saw that and rolled my eyes. I immediately cued up RR 2003...

RE: Steiner/HHH RR 2003

I just finished watching this match and it was good. I would have to watch all of WWE's 2003 PPVs to see where the match would rank but all of this 'Steiner was out-of-shape' and shit like that doesn't hold any weight in 2014. The match is perfectly fine. I think Steiner/HHH was the JBL/Guerrero of 2003. What I mean by that is that the match is between a worker everyone (or most everyone) is sold on vs. a worker that is ify and has a spotty record in singles matches but was perfectly serviceable in a tag team setting.

Rumble 96.

I swear thats the worst/laziest booked Rumble of all time. 

* - Pretty much all 30 guys booked equally the entire match. Everyone gets a bit of offence in, everyone takes a bit. No-one ends up having any real shining moments in the ring, save for Austin in the last few moments of the ring clearing out. Savio looks like a total dick practically no selling the DDT. HHH is the MVP of this match - constantly getting up and taking bumps for everyone all over the place whilst other guys just rest in the corner. Really keeps things moving.

* - Shawn is pretty awful in this. No interest in the back story at all. Runs into the ring whilst Owen, the guy who put him on the shelf is in the ring......and then casually starts locking up with Spark Plug Holly instead. The enziguiri spot is done really badly - too many guys in the ring doing stuff, it's not the centre of attention, no-one pops for it, he's up again in minutes anyway. Same sort of deal with Jannetty later as well. At least they make it the centre of attention this time, but they sort of just bump into each other and go at it. Love the old Rumbles where there's always a strategy or a focus on one guy in particular gave it a bit of credibility. Why would a guy hit the ring....and then focus his attention on Bob Holly or Make A Difference Fatu?

* - Order of entry is pretty all over the place. 3 of the first 4 being heels doesn't really work, and then just a bunch of guys making up the numbers to follow - Gilbert, Dory, Omori. Bulldog at 29 shouldn't have happened, especially with him being Michaels' main challenger a few months later...and then being made to look like a bitch by Diesel. 

Why the fuck does Gorilla Monsoon reward Diesel for fucking up the PPV title match by giving him a title shot and then not giving Taker another one also? Illogical. 

I am surprised at how much I enjoy late 1995 WWF. They're starting to find their stride a bit. Nash also was a damn hard worker and actually more fun to watch than I expected as I was coming into his title reign. Sure, there were some stinkers - KotR 1995 still sucks on re-watch - but a lot of this stuff is really fun. 

• Like 2

I am surprised at how much I enjoy late 1995 WWF. They're starting to find their stride a bit. Nash also was a damn hard worker and actually more fun to watch than I expected as I was coming into his title reign. Sure, there were some stinkers - KotR 1995 still sucks on re-watch - but a lot of this stuff is really fun.

Watts was in for a few weeks you know.

Raw 11-20-95 - the Diesel worked shoot from this got covered on the F4W Board, and when I saw it was also the HBK concussion show, I had to watch it.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wwf-raw-11-30-95-hbk-concussion-show.html

Really interesting show to watch 19 years later. You've got the Diesel "out of character" bit, Vince being referred to as a vague executive, but more than the announcer role, and the perfectly-done HBK angle. The thing with that is that treated it like it was real and actually took the time to let it breathe. Now, they never do that and you're just beaten over the head with IT'S A SHOW, IT'S FAKE, WE'RE PLAYING A PART, WE'RE ALL CHARACTERS!

Watts was in for a few weeks you know.

Did he book the giant beatdowns like the one where Yoko, Mabel, Owen, and Bulldog beat the shit out of Diesel and HBK and Bulldog pinned Dieselor the one on RAW where like eight guys straight jacked Diesel and 'Taker? Those were awesome on a "Nexus rips up ringside and beats up Cena" level. 

I'm to the 11-20-95 episode right now, so I'm looking forward to seeing that again in the next couple of days. 

Watching the 1987 Slammy Awards, one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" bits of '80s WWF cheese. Vince singing "Stand Back" is still hilarious after all of these years, but man I would love to have been able to pick the brain of old-school guys like Jack Brisco, Bruno Sammartino, and others of similar ilk when they saw Harley Race getting hit with a pie by Hacksaw Duggan and having a wacky backstage brawl surrounded by a donkey.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, Jim Ross is just burying Luger during the main event: "How does a guy get that big in 30 days?" Ventura did a good job of covering up: "rest."

I remember that. He also took some shots at his intelligence too which is a complete 180 from what he used to say about Luger. If you watch any 89-91 Luger matches, JR always talked about how he graduated with a 3.8 or whatever GPA and a degree in marketing and how Luger was more than a muscleman.

Just watched the main event from Starrcade '97 for the first time in at least 10 years or more. Holy fucking shit, it's even worse than I remember and I probably felt that way when I last watched it. In fact, it's so bad, every time I go back and watch it looks worse and worse. I think as a kid I just wanted Sting to beat the shit out of Hogan, no-selling everything. Instead, Sting bumps around for Hogan like a pinfall and just lays there for a normal speed three count. I feel that same way as an adult.

Sting should have been channeling Vader.

Hogan on the other hand was so goddamn funny. If it was him against any other opponent and not at Starrcade, I would have been ok with it. He talks so much shit the entire match. Scumbag heels coming up now should watch that match just to see what the template is for being a scumbag heel. Hollywood SCUM Hogan, indeed.

Business aside, the fact that it's arguable that Sting/Hogan wasn't even the most ineptly done finish on the show speaks volumes about how much WCW botched it. I love watching the finish to Bischoff/Larry Z just to see Bret Hart's eyes follow the pipe or whatever the fuck it was.

Thoughts on Survivor Series 88

I was there again! I was VERY spoiled to live near the Richfield (Ohio) Coliseum. I remember being disappointed in 1989 ... "You mean we don't get Survivor Series every year?" At least it came back one more time in 1992.

Bad News Brown is the MVP of this show. He eliminated Jim Brunzell, got into an altercation with his partner Greg Valentine and walked out, establishing his loner character. Later, he cut a great promo on WWF President Jack Tunney demanding to be the top contender to Macho Man's WWF title. 

The Powers of Pain-Demolition double turn was a huge surprise, especially when the P-o-P scraped Mr. Fuji off the floor. The hilarious part is when the ref is counting them out and one of the Conquistadores is jumping up and down like "Yay! We're gonna win!"

Andre-Bravo-Race-Perfect-Rude vs. Jake-Duggan-Santana-Patera-Scott Casey was a huge mismatch on paper and in the ring. It had a fun ending with Andre gift-wrapping the win for Bravo and Hennig.

When the Red Rooster got eliminated in the main event, Slick told a disappointed Bobby Heenan, "I told you he was no good!" During the post-match, I was in the 10th row, BEGGING the Macho to punch Hogan's lights out. I still had two months to wait.

• Like 2

I'm watching the first Slammy Awards and it's awesome. The music stuff is hilarious. None of the guys except for Hogan are actually playing instruments and it's obvious but Honky is actually a pretty good singer and Hogan was a decent bassist (he could've toured with Metallica you know). Vince singing Stand Back never gets old and it's quite obvious that it's autobiographical and he's basically telling everyone that all of the old time promoters are going to drop.