DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

DiBiase's said he made more money off the Million Dollar Title than he would have with the World Title, but that might be Company Line.

I know there's stories that he was supposed to win the Tourny at Mania IV, but Hogan left to do No Holds Barred, and Vince decided to let Savage run with the belt with DiBiase chasing until Hogan was done instead of Savage chasing DiBiase in a holding pattern for Hogan.  But who knows if that's BS or not. 

I know there's stories that he was supposed to win the Tourny at Mania IV, but Hogan left to do No Holds Barred, and Vince decided to let Savage run with the belt with DiBiase chasing until Hogan was done instead of Savage chasing DiBiase in a holding pattern for Hogan.  But who knows if that's BS or not. 

i'd always heard Savage won the title tournament at WM4 because he lost in the Wrestling Classic tourney.

but that would've been 3 years difference, so who knows?

The story I had always heard was that Honky Tonk Man refused to drop the IC title to Savage and threatened to jump to Crockett with the belt, so the change was made to put the world title on Savage. It makes sense since Honky ended up getting squashed by the Warrior at Summerslam and was pretty much stuck in the lower mid card for the rest of his run. That definitely seems like something Vince would hold a grudge about.

So I've been going back and watching ppv's and notable matches that I've never seen that people have said are terrible to see if they actually suck or not. I watched the IYH where Bulldog fought Diesel and it definitely lived up to the hype as a terrible match. And the aftermath was so stupid. Why would you book your superface champion to brawl with fellow face BRET HART in Canada? 

Watched the live stream just now and it had Michaels/Jarrett from In Your House.  A couple things:

-Holy fuck was Shawn tremendous.  And Jarrett was pretty great too.  They worked so well that I wish they did more than they did.  Shawn was bumping like a madman, when he flipped over the post and landed on the floor it was scary as fuck.  I don't know if he was on something, but you'd think he was to take a dive like that.  Jeezus.

-I've heard many times about how Vince was going nuts for Shawn.  He verbally fellated that guy so much you'd think Shawn bought him flowers and took him out.  I liked Vince commentating, but it was way overboard for me.  Yikes.

Oh, hey, after that a clip from Prime Time Wrestling!  Monsoon/Heenan looking for the Bushwackers was campy as hell and I loved it.

Ranger Ross, for example, was so fucking green in retrospect.  Butch Reed carried that dude to something damn near watchable but god damn, it was a struggle.  Whatever happened to Ross anyway?

IIRC, he robbed a bank and spent some time in prison. The rumor is that he tried to burn down the police station to destroy the evidence. Don't know if that's true or not but that's the story that's been circulating for years.

True on both counts.  Ross has done a couple shoot interviews since he was released from prison where he talks about the incidents.

Watched the live stream just now and it had Michaels/Jarrett from In Your House.  A couple things:

-Holy fuck was Shawn tremendous.  And Jarrett was pretty great too.  They worked so well that I wish they did more than they did.  Shawn was bumping like a madman, when he flipped over the post and landed on the floor it was scary as fuck.  I don't know if he was on something, but you'd think he was to take a dive like that.  Jeezus.

-I've heard many times about how Vince was going nuts for Shawn.  He verbally fellated that guy so much you'd think Shawn bought him flowers and took him out.  I liked Vince commentating, but it was way overboard for me.  Yikes.

Oh, hey, after that a clip from Prime Time Wrestling!  Monsoon/Heenan looking for the Bushwackers was campy as hell and I loved it.

I think that Vince's love for Shawn on commentary was part of the reason his title run wound up being so flat. Dude was legit crazy over in 95 and early 96 but Vince managed to make him seem uncool. They lucked out with Austin that when he got over in 97, when Vince was still commentating, he was very reserved in his praise for Austin before turning into Mr. McMahon.

I think that would've been better in hindsight. Savage could've won the belt later and you could still have the Mega Powers later.

One of the things that I'm watching right now the Clash in January of 1996, and Brian Pillman grabbing an irate Bobby Heenan, who drops a "THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" as he tries to protect his surgically-repaired neck, was pretty great television. Poor Heenan. That one moment, where you could see Heenan was utterly pissed, actually convinced me in the moment that Pillman might do just about anything. 

Then, Schiavone goes on to say that Benoit, the other new member of the Horsemen, would never do anything as crazy as Pillman. Harsh in hindsight indeed.

I had to stop watching after that, but I do note that Pillman came down to the ring with a pimp cane for his match with Eddie Guerrero, and he hid it under the ring apron before wrestling Guerrero and scaring the crap out of Heenan. I was waiting for it to be used for the finish, but that didn't happen, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets used as a Chekhov's Gun later in the show. 

One of the things that I'm watching right now the Clash in January of 1996, and Brian Pillman grabbing an irate Bobby Heenan, who drops a "THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" as he tries to protect his surgically-repaired neck, was pretty great television. Poor Heenan. That one moment, where you could see Heenan was utterly pissed, actually convinced me in the moment that Pillman might do just about anything. 

Then, Schiavone goes on to say that Benoit, the other new member of the Horsemen, would never do anything as crazy as Pillman. Harsh in hindsight indeed.

I had to stop watching after that, but I do note that Pillman came down to the ring with a pimp cane for his match with Eddie Guerrero, and he hid it under the ring apron before wrestling Guerrero and scaring the crap out of Heenan. I was waiting for it to be used for the finish, but that didn't happen, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets used as a Chekhov's Gun later in the show. 

Pillman might be the best crazy guy ever in wrestling. One of my favorite parts of Starrcade 95 was him jumping around and screaming his head off after Flair beat Macho. Poor Flair is so bloodied up that he's about to pass out and can't even do an interview so does Pillman immediately comfort his leader and help him back to the locker room to get him stitched up and celebrate? No, he screams more, takes the belt from Flair and starts whipping Macho with it.

• Like 1

The best part is that you can see he is flustered and a pissed off but then says something like "I still like the guy".   Even when things are breaking down he can keep his character as the heel announcer and put over the Pillman character.

Watching Starrcade Lethal Lottery and Jimmy Garvin was actually really good at professional wrestling when he wasn't in Freebird mode. He worked a great sequence with Tracy Smothers and gelled pretty well as a tag-team with rookie Bagwell.

And it's so weird to think that Michael Hayes was only about 32 or 33 at that point. He's the same age as Hall and Nash and he seemed like a washed up older guy in the mid-90's while they were winning titles and forming the nWo. Hayes is like Arn and Malenko in that he's probably looked like he was 40 since he was 12.

Van Hammer was fairly athletic for such a big dude. He moved around well. He was super green in this match but it was smart of WCW to pair him with Matt Borne (ugh, Big Josh) and have them against Austin/Rude.

God, Pillman was so awesome in this era. The closest we'll get is Ambrose, but even that won't be as insane.

If Pillman doesn't wreck his vehicle and screw his health before going to the WWF, do they book Loose Cannon Pillman vs HBK in 1996?

Prolly....but I doubt crazy-ass Pillman & drugged out HBK ends well.

And it's so weird to think that Michael Hayes was only about 32 or 33 at that point. He's the same age as Hall and Nash and he seemed like a washed up older guy in the mid-90's while they were winning titles and forming the nWo. Hayes is like Arn and Malenko in that he's probably looked like he was 40 since he was 12.

I'm burying this here since you've been watching this.

I wrote about Halloween Havoc 91 (specifically, ironically, Michael Hayes and Big Josh) and it just dropped:

http://placetobenation.com/wtbbp-the-column-beyond-the-great-match-robbery-of-1991/

• Like 2