DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

The first Prime Time once aired on 24/7 so it does exist. It was hosted by Jack Reynolds and Jesse Ventura and it was really terrible.

There's an early Prime Time where, as the end credits roll, Reynolds just gets up and stands around with his dress shirt untucked, looking like a complete idiot for 20 seconds.

Prime Time Wrestling #61: Surprised to see Paul Christy versus King Tonga. I was under the impression that Christy had one TNT appearance doing some kind of magic gimmick that was so terrible that he was never brought in. Christy was an old Chicago Amphitheater talent from the early 60s who must have been pushing 50 by 1986. (looked this up, he would have been about 47 at the time)

Yeah, Salt N Peppa played What A Man

One of my older friends in college was a casual fan of wrestling at best but he was a HUGE Giants fan. There were many nights where we'd be hammered and get home from bars and he would just throw in his Wrestlemania 11 VHS tape and insist on watching LT beating Bam Bam. He was older than us and was the one who bought us beer for the most part so we had to watch. We had a few friends who'd groan and be like, "ugh, wrestling" but I thought it was awesome.

I'm watching one of the '96 Raws they put up lately and the Superstar Line ad is clearly playing Lex Luger's WCW theme from this era. I was amused and also a little stoked, because I always liked that theme.

I liked both of Luger's WCW themes. The one he used in the late-80's/early 90's was the best but I also really liked his mid-90's theme as well. I thought it sucked when they changed it to the lame instrumental during his Total Package run at the end.

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 89

Hart Foundation & Duggan vs. Rougeaus & Bravo: The babyfaces blatantly cheat to win and the crowd goes nuts! Morality takes a vacation as the heels and Jesse Ventura protest to no avail.

Rockin' Robin and Big John Studd got very little juice from their wins. At WrestleMania V, Studd was a guest referee and Robin was relegated to singing America the Beautiful.

During the Heenan Family promo, Andre says he'll even toss out the Brain Busters if he must. Arn immediately whispers in Tully's ear that they have to team up and toss Andre out.

Only Heenan could convincingly manage both wrestlers in the same match with King Haku vs. Harley Race. I like how Race stubbornly refused to switch his "King" trunks as if he knew he would be winning back the crown.

I realize now why they did the hilarious 2-second elimination of The Warlord: they needed time for the Hogan-Savage-Elizabeth drama.

Andre is the MVP of the Rumble match and the entire pay-per-view. He absolutely destroys everyone, even facing a 4-on-1 disadvantage. Andre also tosses his archrival Jake Roberts, who lasted a very short time. Only Jake throwing the snake into the ring could get Andre out of there.

Virgil's ill-advised attack on Royal Rumble winner Studd earned himself a thrashing, causing my daughter to remark, "He's beating up the butler!"

Uncensored as a PPV has a terrible rep, but I am enjoying Uncensored 1996 quite a bit. Even that ridiculous two-on-eight cage match, which is terrible, will be easier to watch from the viewpoint that it's so terrible that I can glean some fun out of it. 

This show makes me realize two things:

First, I miss major shows being in mid-size towns like Tupelo, Mississippi. 

Second, I miss Dusty Rhodes on commentary (who called Eddie Guerrero "my homie" a bunch in that first match. No, it never got old.).

Konnan is sloppy, but he and Eddy Guerrero had a really nice back-and-forth match to open. Regal/Finlay was about four minutes too long and got away from the "Finlay wants to clubber, Regal wants to keep it on the mat" dichotomy toward the latter third of the match, but the first eight or so minutes were awesome. 

Also, Mean Gene wisecracking on Loch Ness's dental work and then becoming less snarky and more unsure of his own safety with each second that Loch Ness glared at him was one of the funnier little skits that I've seen lately. 

Prime Time Wrestling #61: Surprised to see Paul Christy versus King Tonga. I was under the impression that Christy had one TNT appearance doing some kind of magic gimmick that was so terrible that he was never brought in. Christy was an old Chicago Amphitheater talent from the early 60s who must have been pushing 50 by 1986. (looked this up, he would have been about 47 at the time)

Christy was brought in because he worked with Savage in ICW. So he bombed on TNT and mostly jobbed for his time in the WWF.

Here's Christy in ICW:

It looks like they have took down the 1995 Nitro's from the Network. When someone asked the "Ask WWE Network" person on twitter they said they needed to in order to put newer stuff out there. Well that sucks :(

They' seem to still be up on the iOS app.

It looks like they have took down the 1995 Nitro's from the Network.  When someone asked the "Ask WWE Network" person on twitter they said they needed to in order to put newer stuff out there.   Well that sucks   :(

Still showing up for me on Chrome.

Honestly, if they're going to pull stuff down that I want to be able to access, I am tempted to cancel. The only thing is that NXT and those NXT supershows are so good, and I'm pretty sure you can only see the supershows on the network. 

Watched the last 2/3 of WCW Halloween Havoc '91 after a long absence due to not having an active Torch sub to watch it alongside the Wayback Playback, and then just forgetting to watch it. This whole show never really gets out of first gear - there's very little awful stuff, generally limited to BILL KAZMAIER FACING OZ, but nothing really good either. Badd-Garvin kind of overachieves given the malaise of the latter and inexperience of the former.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wcw-halloween-havoc-1991-part-2-and-3.html

Watched all of Starrcade '92 since my plan to do Survivor Series '90 went awry when my audio of the first part of the wayback playback was messed up, and I couldn't fit it on the Torch site. This was a really fun, and sometimes surreal show. BILL WATTS WAS ON-SCREEN WITH HANK AARON! Sting vs. Vader ruled, and really everything but the Muta-Chono and Battlebowl matches was at least enjoyable.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wcw-starrcade-1992.html

Watching the latest Monday Night War. More revisionist crap about Why WCW Died. (It was because Jamie Kellner doesn't like wrestling. That is the beginning, middle and end of the story). But as they talk about Ric Flair, they discuss his return in my hometown of Greenville, SC. I attended that show. I don't remember a hell of a lot about that show, but I remember two things really clearly. The first thing is that I was waaaay up in the nosebleeds and I could hear the "Gooooooooooooldbeeeeeeeeeeeeeerg" chant coming from far above me, and the second thing is that I've never heard a sustained pop as loud as Ric got, ever. Not at football or baseball games, not at concerts, and definitely not at a wrestling show. 

Just caught The Roadie vs. JERRY FLYNN on the 7/10/95 Raw. Unsung hero of the Monday Night War, if you ask me.

EDIT: IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED BY A RIP TAYLOR CAMEO IN A DOUBLE J VIGNETTE.

I was about to say "How's that for a topper?" but I learned through Google that the line belonged to Charles Nelson Reilly.

Never mind.

Thoughts on WrestleMania V

The biggest problem with this show is that it was too long. In the "bigger is better" '80s, they weren't going back to three hours when the previous year's Trump Plaza extravaganza was four hours. I'm going to improve this show by taking out these five matches:

Hercules vs. King Haku

Bushwhackers vs. Rougeau Brothers

Ronnie Garvin vs. Dino Bravo

Hart Foundation vs. (Future) Rhythm & Blues

Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Bad News Brown

Now look at what a strong card this is:

Rockers vs. Twin Towers

Ted DiBiase vs. Brutus Beefcake

Blue Blazer vs. Mr. Perfect

Demolition vs. Powers of Pain & Mr. Fuji

Strike Force vs. Brain Busters

Jake Roberts vs. Andre the Giant

Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude

Red Rooster vs. Bobby Heenan

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage

The announcers gave some great musical opinions. After Rockin' Robin sang "America the Beautiful," Jesse Ventura hit her with the classic "don't quit your day job" line. After Run-DMC performed the WrestleMania Rap, Gorilla Monsoon (my hero as an announcer) said, "You know, a little of that goes a long way."

That Piper's Pit segment with Brother Love and Morton Downey Jr. was pitiful. The only part I liked was Brother Love's impersonation of Piper. My daughter asked, "Is this halftime?"

The MVP of the show was Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. He won his first championship with Rick Rude winning the IC belt, led the Brain Busters to victory, absorbed a brutal beating from Ultimate Warrior, and then dutifully limped out to get beaten up again by The Red Rooster.

• Like 2