DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I have to disagree with you on a couple of those. I liked the Hercules/Haku match for it being just a couple tough bastards slugging it out and I would keep in the Hart Foundation match simply because you can already see that The Hitman is going to be a big deal. He reversed like every move thrown his way and every move he performed was perfectly executed or as Ventura said "TEXTBOOK".  I also love that the Harts are not above cheating. It's right there on a silver platter for them, the megaphone, and they don't think for one second that it might not be the best idea to win via cheating. They're just like, welp.. you fucked up bros, now you will pay for it. WHAM.

• Like 2

I'm towards the end of watching My Name is Paul Heyman. A lot of the stories aren't new to me. ECW was my favorite promotion during its existence, and I've seen the other documentaries. Paul Heyman is one of the most fascinating people in wrestling to me. He has that charismatic, cult leader like personality about him. I love hearing stories from people that worked for him and with him. If I were a wrestler and a little bit older at the time, I could easily see myself breaking my body for Paul E and being happy to do it. 

I watched the 1994 King of the Ring last night for the first time since seeing it air live.  Art Donovan was even more glorious than I remembered or stories I've heard since.  It's amazing how Gorilla blatantly ignored him, while Savage tried to answer him from time to time.  

Speaking of Savage, I remember at the time not caring for him on commentary but watching the '93/'94 Raws lately I have to hand it to him for trying to get the New Generation over.  He was rooting for the good guys and it gave them some credibility, I think.  

Savage as commentator is sucn an anomaly. he doesn't put people or actions over in the traditional way. he's got WAY more energy and enthusiasm than he should. he doesn't play off the other announcer(s) like he could. 

but for some reason, it works. not always if you just watch a single show, but following the narrative really makes his take on commentating stand out to me. 

I watched the latest Monday Wars show with Bischoff. Like usual it is just a rehash of everything. The one interesting thing that i didn't know about was the 1990 WWF audition tape of Eric where Vince has him interview a broom. Needless to say Bischoff didn't do a good job and treated it he was being fucked with.

I am guessing the next one is about Russo because the show with bischoff leaving and the company is reborn

Just watched Michaels vs UT from WM 25. I must be a jaded motherfucker, because I was like "it's good, but" about this match. Do people really call this the top match of all time?

I havent really seen it called that outside of some WWE lists. I think it's fantastic, but you'll find plenty of people here who dislike it.

I like all of the recent Streak matches. The first Taker/HBK match had the crazy fucking dive where people almost died. I loved how HHH/Taker started out with them saying 'fuck it' and throwing bombs right out the gate. I like the Taker/HHH Hell in a Cell because it actually felt like a Hell in a Cell. They beat the shit out of one another.

Watching the go home Raw for Wrestlemania 15. Say what you will about the quality of matches from the Attitude era, but damn this is a fun show. In the tag title match, Brood vs Owen/Jarrett, theres switcheroo shenanigans w Edge and Christian, then an out of nowhere run in by Public Enemy, leading to the Brood and Owen/Jarrett teaming up to fight them off, then the lights go out and Debra ends up getting a bloodbath. You've got JR and Dr Death at a frat house having a JR is War party, then Blue Meanie calling out Shamrock, getting Ryan Shamrock instead, Meanie tries to spank her, out comes Ken, who is attacked by Goldust, who chairshots Ken and leaves with Ryan and Meanie in an embrace. Its chaotic, fast paced, and everything means something. Everyone has something to do. Today's writers could learn something here.

I've been watching some of the TNTs and Prime Time Wrestling episodes from 1986. It was a little strange seeing Tiger Chung Lee use the Scorpion Death Lock and Dory Funk Jr use the Texas Cloverleaf as finishers back then. (I had heard that Dory used that move, but this was the first I had seen it.)

The cloverleaf basically disappeared as a finisher until Malenko brought it back in 1995. I can't think of another move in which that happened.

Just watched Michaels vs UT from WM 25. I must be a jaded motherfucker, because I was like "it's good, but" about this match. Do people really call this the top match of all time?

I am one of those people who didn't like the WM25 match and find it EASILY one of the top 10 overrated matches in WWE history. I won't go into it again, but I will say this: I am not a fan of the forced epics. To me its the same as Dolph saying he is going to 'steal the show'. The match is all too forced, hollow, and meta for me to really get into it.

The last few days I've been watching Hardcore TV again. Watched most of 95. I'm up to episode 126 with the Pitbulls/Raven & Richards double dog collar match. 

I can see watching back what made ECW special. Everything flowed into each other and everything made sense(in the context of ECW).

About to see Superstar Steve Austin debut.

Also, Foley has been amazing and I love me some Mikey Whipwreck with The Public Enemy.

• Like 1

I saw the 'Taker Streak DVD recently, and I'm pretty sure 'Taker/Henry, 'Taker/Flair, and 'Taker/HHH I are all significantly better than any of the 'Taker/HBK matches or either of the last two 'Taker/HHH matches. 

I was at Mania XXV and consider Taker-HBK my favorite match I've ever seen in person by a wide margin.  The atmosphere at least in my section was off the charts.  

That being said, I don't think I've watched it at all since because I don't want to tarnish my memory.  It was awesome, I'll never forget it, and I don't want that ruined.

I am so glad the work wifi works.  Watching Hardcore TV at lunch means I'll be able to finally watching these as I held off for a little while.  And the resume watching elements of the Network make this so convenient now.  On the second to last episode for '94, and can't wait to get into '95.

A lot has been said about Shane Douglas relying on profanity in his promos.  I agree on that but feel his promo work has been overlooked because of that.  I found in watching these shows that he's been really underrated in selling a match.  He did a promo hyping his match up with Ron Simmons that at most had the word "damn" in it.  This was also the one where he washed his hands of Ric Flair for not answering his calls.  And it was tremendous.  On top of that, it went about 5 or 6 minutes but it never at any point dragged like today's interviews tend to do.  Promos aside, he was very deserving of being the main guy in ECW.

• Like 3

The last few days I've been watching Hardcore TV again. Watched most of 95. I'm up to episode 126 with the Pitbulls/Raven & Richards double dog collar match. 

I can see watching back what made ECW special. Everything flowed into each other and everything made sense(in the context of ECW).

About to see Superstar Steve Austin debut.

Also, Foley has been amazing and I love me some Mikey Whipwreck with The Public Enemy.

With Hardcore TV in particular, it helped that they were able to edit down a lot of the stuff and just showcase the live events best work.

Watching a Nitro from August '96 and heard Konnan and Larry Z. refer to the NWO as the "New World Odor" twice in the span of like three minutes. Come on, guys.

The Larry Zsbysko drinking game

Everytime he talked about his golf game, take a shot.

Everytime he mentioned the human game of chess, take 2 shots.

Everytime he said new world odor, chug your drink.

It also worked really well with JR's catchphrases.

• Like 1

The human game of chess is pretty much the first thing I think of when I think about Larry Zbyszko. He's one of my favourite wrestlers ever but he's just brutal on commentary.

I used to enjoy his wrestling, but his commentary soured me to the point I can't go back and re-watch his matches.

The human game of chess is pretty much the first thing I think of when I think about Larry Zbyszko. He's one of my favourite wrestlers ever but he's just brutal on commentary.

I used to enjoy his wrestling, but his commentary soured me to the point I can't go back and re-watch his matches.

Count yourself lucky you never had to watch UK dubs of Worldwide with Larry and Scott fucking Hudson.

You're really missing out with the matches though.

i'm with ya, eddie. fuck a zbyszko.