DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I want Wyatts vs. The Shield to continue to Wrestlemania and have the Wyatts show up to the Superdome on a wooden raft that Bray steers with a pole and the Shield flies in on their helicopter that Seth Rollins is piloting.

Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

I kinda want to start my own site, use Ben's Bunkhouse Buck fantasy booking ideas as "scoops" an insider told me, then saying that Vince was irate that I found out his secret booking ideas and changed it at the last minute to try to discredit me.  How many Twitter followers do you think I could get?

I made a twitter account based on the greatest Jerry Lawler joke ever made and got 7.

So, how fucking amazing was Nick Bockwinkel?

I went on a bit of a Bockwinkel binge last night and watched him vs. Lawler in Memphis and the hour broadway with Hennig at the Showboat. Jesus, the guy was amazing on the mic, bumped like a champ, had a great mat game, killer conditioning, AND was amazing into his early 50's. He really was like Ric Flair before Ric Flair was Ric Flair. I'd also say that, at the top of his last big run, he was a better Ric Flair than Ric Flair.

Two facts about Nick Bockwinkel:

1) He was never not awesome.

2) He was 49 years old when he came out of the womb.

Jerry Jarrett said in his shoot interview that one of his biggest mistakes in wrestling was booking Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jimmy Valiant in Memphis. He said it was the worst 20 minutes he'd ever spent in wrestling trying to watch Jimmy Valiant wrestle.

yeah, I don't think that would be good in any situation. Even if it's late-80s Boogie Woogie Man Valiant v. Bockwinkel in a Texas Death match, where Valiant keeps picking up falls early dropping the elbow, but Bockwinkel keeps getting up and eventually wins through devious means

You know, since Batista left 4 years ago, a lot of the younger fans just don't know him - or maybe just know him from his Hollywood Dave period. It's not like he was elevated to Rock-like Icon status by the WWE during his absence - before he came back they hardly ever mentioned him.

Heh, Cesaro walking out on EC reminded me that last night at a club I had a good number of people doing the arm cannons to MIA's Paper Planes.

THE IDIOTS DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THEY WERE DOING A PRO WRES THING IN PUBLIC HOHOHO

Next big thing: arm cannons while chanting "Yes!"

Serious question: with the Network launching and all the amazing young talent emerging, are we on the verge of a new boom period?

Audiences seem to be getting better.  Tonight for instance.  Another great crowd that is both into it and genuinely seems to want to encourage guys to be huge.

• Like 1

Serious question: with the Network launching and all the amazing young talent emerging, are we on the verge of a new boom period?

ARE YOU REFERRING TO ARM CANNONS WHEN YOU SAY BOOM BECAUSE IF SO I THINK WE ARE, YES.

So you're saying Cesaro stole Kofi's gimmick?

I went on a bit of a Bockwinkel binge last night and watched him vs. Lawler in Memphis and the hour broadway with Hennig at the Showboat. Jesus, the guy was amazing on the mic, bumped like a champ, had a great mat game, killer conditioning, AND was amazing into his early 50's. He really was like Ric Flair before Ric Flair was Ric Flair. I'd also say that, at the top of his last big run, he was a better Ric Flair than Ric Flair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EyQut4WqE

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I was thinking this lately too, except that I don't know if WWE sees it like that.  They just keep bringing back old guys, when the audience loves the new guys.  Based purely on audience reactions, and I'm not watching EC, putting the belt on Batista, which they are contractually obligated to do seems like one of the worst decisions they can make.  He is basically a terrible gift from the cousin you don't really like.  He is basically the human embodiment of everything the WWE audience doesn't want from the WWE, and bringing back Hogan is probably going to be worse.  They just don't seem to understand that the audience is ready for some new blood, and cramming 40+ year old guys down their throat is going to eventually bite them in the ass.

This might be an ignorant question, but are there many (any?) Bockwinkel/Race matches on tape? I can barely even find any mention of them ever meeting in the ring.

Fantasy booking time: save Orton and Batista at 'Mania in a way that doesn't involve Daniel Bryan or adding or removing anyone to the match. Save a 1 on 1 title match.

'Impossible,' you say. And you would be correct, however, technically, nothing is impossible. The right angle and build-up can save just about anything.

The issue is I have no idea, Orton needs to go babyface and turn on the Authority. They need to somehow tie Flair into it. Shit, with it being WM XXX...and Orton being the son of a guy involved in the first main event, maybe you could somehow tie into that. Have Piper and Cowboy tell him that this night is their redemption. Don't turn Batista, per se, but let him just do his thing and maybe throw Hogan in with him as they're brothers in Hollywoon and, both, preferably, enjoy hanging and banging.  

I'd avoid giving them promo time, limit Batista's ring time, and then at 'Mania give a smoke and mirrors brawl filled with run-ins from the old-timers. Overbook that shit like an ECW title match, and you MAY bewilder the 70000s fans to not spend 30 minutes making up different chants.

Anyone have any other ideas?

• Like 1

Induce CM Punk to come back by offering him a contract with a guaranteed 2015 Royal Rumble win and a spot in the Wrestlemania title match. Have him interrupt the match, destroy both guys with chair shots, then cut a pipebomb 2.0 promo about part-timers taking the spots of guys who deserve to be there. Giving him most of the summer off, with sporadic appearances, usually showing up to run in and screw one of those part time guys in a match.

It won't make it a great match, but it will make it memorable.