DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I hate how finishers can go unnamed for months in the WWE.  Every announcer should know two names for every finisher: the gimmick name, aka the Attitude Adjustment, and the "technical" name, aka the Fireman's Carry Slam.  And they should know what part of the body it hurts and why. 

What the hell is Seth Rollins flying stomp to the head called?  Ambrose's front DDT?  Hell, what's the name for Daniel Bryan's flying knee?  Besides "That's the knee that beat John Cena!!!

What part of your body does the Cross Rhodes hurt?  And when?

I agree that the announcers should be more knowledgeable, and I also think that names for signature moves are an awesome part of pro wrestling that gets people behind a wrestler when done right. I will say, however, that I would not be surprised if we see less and less naming of major moves unless they are submissions with a name already (like in MMA) or moves that have been around wrestling for a long time, or can sort of be traced back (as in Gotch Neutralizer, LaBell Lock). The last few new moves the announce team tried to get over had absolutely cringeworthy names like "skull crushing finale" which was so abysmally stupid I thought it was a play on words I didn't get. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I wouldn't be surprised if character based names like sharpshooter are on the way out for the time being. In a time when a huge number of submission names are known by the general populace (or at least the general populace that watches wrestling and probably has a passing knowledge of MMA) it is not outside the realm of possibility that Vince has decided that new fans or viewers might think calling the gogoplata the Hell's Gate comes across as corny instead of awesome.  

I was randomly poking around on PS3's YouTube app yesterday, while my wife was reading a magazine, when the following transpired:

Me: *grinning* Hey, look at what's happening in this match.

2j51212.jpg

Her: *shocked* Is he dead?

Me: Yep.

Her: Really?

Me: No, he's just an idiot.

• Like 3

My mom had the same reaction when I watched that with her:

Mom: "Why do you watch this shit?"

Me: "I don't know,"

Friend: " :mellow:  Is he dead, Mrs. Ayers?"

Mom: "If he ain't, he should be."

Me: "That's a terrible thing to say."

I also remember when one of Taker's wives got her weave snatched by DDP. I thought it was her real hair, but my sister still gloats about how she knew that was a weave.

WM 19 was the last Mania I saw live. I guess I watched a different show because I thought it was fucking boring as fuck. The HBK and Y2J bias must be strong.

Not a fan of that match, but Rock/Austin, Angle/Lesnar (botched finish aside), and Triple H/Booker T (stupid delay before the cover aside) are all really good.

I am too lazy to see if this was posted anywhere else so here it is

The Nerdist Channel apparently has a Wrestling Podcast now

First episode is with Booker T and Rosita (though obviously billed by her real name)

I have no clue who the dudes doing the show are but I am assuming one of you will tell me

What was the last non-Sunday, non-8pm EST WCW or WWF(E) ppv? My guess is Souled Out 97 which was on a Sat although I think one of the Road Wilds was a Sat too. Do you guys think something like that would fly nowadays? Maybe not a ppv Sat night but a Sat or Sun afternoon ppv when there's no NFL/college football to compete with? Personally I'd be down for the Spring/Summer ppvs to start in the early afternoon.

A "hitman" using a "Sharpshooter" always seemed logical to me. I could never get what the fuck "Sweet Chin Music" had to do with a male stripper ... although, I would imagine that it would be percussion-heavy (salacious!!!).

I always appreciated that, when asked what "DDT" might stand for, Roberts would reply, "The end."

Sweet Chin Music doesn't have to do with Shawn's gimmick. It's named because he hits his opponent in the chin with the kick.

But "Chin Music" is a baseball reference. If a pitcher throws a pitch way inside, under the batter's chin, he "played a little chin music."

Thanks, man.  I did not know this.

• Like 1

WM 19 was the last Mania I saw live. I guess I watched a different show because I thought it was fucking boring as fuck. The HBK and Y2J bias must be strong.

Not a fan of that match, but Rock/Austin, Angle/Lesnar (botched finish aside), and Triple H/Booker T (stupid delay before the cover aside) are all really good.

I thought the Rock and Austin one was over done. All I remember is Rock separately trying to kill Steve Austin with everything and Austin kicked out of everything. I don't remember who won.  The Lesnar/Angle match was "Eh." I still prefer character based matches over a bunch of moves. Then the HHH/Booker match was flat out annoying. The set up was that HHH doesn't think Booker is good enough, throw in some racial tension, and the bad guy still won.

The women's match was also a mess because Victoria couldn't do much besides throw people around, and Jazz was oodles better than her at this. Victoria was also a sloppy bumper, and hello, Trish was in the match. Possibly the best women's bumper the company has ever had.

Vince and Hogan dragged to shit.

But like I said, Wrestlemania doesn't have the same quality it once had to mean I think the last 10 years or so, too many politicking and worry has killed the shows for me. idk

I think the thing that as Vince success and has made everyone love him is that he will do anything to get an angle over. HHH and Stephanie ain't got that in them and I worry for the future.

HHH and Stephanie are more like Peyton Manning at this point: Been around for ever and has been presented as big deals, but now that you see their mugs every damn where, you realize how much you hate them.

I had a lot of problems with that "greatest PPV" list the first time they did it. SummerSlam 2009 is so much better than Backlash, and the 2007 show it's ridiculous. SurSer '95 is an alright show, especially during that down period, but it's nowhere near the top 15.

Heatwave '98 was a good show, but I honestly think their next-to-last PPV, Massacre on 34th Street, is a much better show, even with the shitty main event.

My favourite ECW PPV ever was Anarchy Rulz 1999. I'm also fond of Barely Legal 1997, Living Dangerously 1999 and Hardcore Heaven 1999.

So to hype the the whole "all PPV's on demand" aspect of the network, WWE have put out their "Top 15 PPV's of All Time" -

Honorable Mentions - SummerSlam 91, WrestleMania X, GAB 96, ECW Barely Legal, Backlash 2000, Invasion and SummerSlam 2002

15 - WWE - Survivor Series 1995

14 - ECW - Heat Wave 1998

13 - WWE -  Backlash 2009

12 - WCW - Bash at the Beach 1996

11 - WWE - Extreme Rules 2012

10 - WWE - IYH Canadian Stampede

09 - WWE - No Way Out 2001

08 - WWE/ECW - One Night Stand 2005

07 - WWE - SummerSlam 2007

06 - WCW - Great American Bash 1989

05 - WWE - WrestleMania 3

04 - WCW - Spring Stampede 1994

03 - WWE - Royal Rumble 2000

02 - WWE - Money in the Bank 2011

01 - WWE - WrestleMania 17

Thoughts?

Great list. I'd switch a couple for WWE No Mercy 2001, 2002, WrestleMania XIX and WrestleMania XXIV.

Thinking about WrestleMania, Triple H' has had two crappy main events: Chris Jericho at WrestleMania X8 and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXV which were totally overshadowed by two other matches on the show: The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8 and the classic between The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV.

As long as One Night Stand 05 has Sandman's epic entrance intact it belongs on the list.

That's a show I'd keep.

I'm with you.

Dolph Ziggler's Comments That Got Him Backstage Heat Revealed

What did he say?

It was previously reported that Dolph Ziggler's push was stopped in WWE because of comments he made on September 4 during an interview with MLive.com. The comments in question seem to be about WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton.

He said: "I've made it clear; I'm not patient at all – several times. I've been very vocal about my position on the card and in the company. I'm not trying to say 'Hey, everybody sucks and I'm great!' But I love doing this, and at some point you go 'OK, It's not my time right now and I got to figure something out' And when it's time, that's when I must go out there and make as huge of an impact as I can and let everyone know 'I dare you to follow that, I dare you try something better.' And when they don't (counter or match what I'm doing in the ring) I'm very outspoken about it and it can get me into very hot water (with the company). Then you never know where we're going. Everybody can be just so outspoken about taller guys, and guys like Randy Orton being the face of the WWE, the WWE Championship. I dare you to put me in a back alley with Randy Orton or someone like that. I guarantee I'm not afraid of someone taller."

Credit: The Wrestling Observer

Is there a place to talk about random indy stuff?  I went to my local fed's most recent show, which was their by-far biggest at their by-far most noteworthy venue and was going to do a review of it, but I don't see any indy thread on the first five pages of this forum and there's no indy sub-forum.  I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, but it's not coming to me.

I also don't know where the right place to ask this question is, so in the catch-all it goes.

Dolph Ziggler's Comments That Got Him Backstage Heat Revealed

What did he say?

It was previously reported that Dolph Ziggler's push was stopped in WWE because of comments he made on September 4 during an interview with MLive.com. The comments in question seem to be about WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton.

He said: "I've made it clear; I'm not patient at all – several times. I've been very vocal about my position on the card and in the company. I'm not trying to say 'Hey, everybody sucks and I'm great!' But I love doing this, and at some point you go 'OK, It's not my time right now and I got to figure something out' And when it's time, that's when I must go out there and make as huge of an impact as I can and let everyone know 'I dare you to follow that, I dare you try something better.' And when they don't (counter or match what I'm doing in the ring) I'm very outspoken about it and it can get me into very hot water (with the company). Then you never know where we're going. Everybody can be just so outspoken about taller guys, and guys like Randy Orton being the face of the WWE, the WWE Championship. I dare you to put me in a back alley with Randy Orton or someone like that. I guarantee I'm not afraid of someone taller."

Credit: The Wrestling Observer

So he either got buried because Vince and Co. think that the whole world reads a local Michigan website, or Ziggler's onto their anti-sub-6' main eventer stance, and they're punishing him to send a clear message to the rest of the lollipop guild.

You must be *this* tall or as talented as Daniel Bryan to get on the main event ride.

The thing about Ziggler, is he seems like the type of dude who an over-achiever in his personal life. He was on his way to Law School before signing to WWE. But as history has shown, you can bust your ass and do everything right, but if Vince doesn't want you on top, you're not getting on top.

• Like 1