DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I'm still trying to decipher Michael Cole's instructions on how to use this WWE apple on my flip phone. 

Don't bother, let's watch that match I mentioned instead!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12t2xb_sting-dustin-rhodes-flyin-brian-vs-harlem-heat-the-equalizer_sport

Look, Unless Cheerleader Melissa is suddenly the third member of the Stud Sta... er Harlem Heat... 

Wait, that's from 20 years ago today. What are you trying to pull?

Wait....

Let's think about this.  First, Matt Hardy gets arrested then Punk "decides" to leave the company thus taking him away from AJ Lee.

If something happens to Edge I think we all know the real culprit.

The only acceptable CM Punk relationship fantasy-booking I will allow is that he's decided to run off with Ronda Rousey, after they met at whatever UFC show. They will then go on to produce the most angry and miserable offspring the world has ever seen.

The kid will come out of the womb scowling.

• Like 3

I really liked Punk as the cult leader of the sXs with the crazy beard, etc..  Week to week he was cutting awesome promos. I was into the "Summer of Punk" story line but once he came back at SummerSlam it was all downhill. Some of it was shitty creative but some of it was him too. I haven't been interested in anything he's done since. He's had some good matches here and there like the one at this past year's SummerSlam with Brock but for the most part I couldn't get into anything he was doing. I hated him as a babyface. Not good.

If he comes back I'd rather see him in a Jericho role.

• Like 2

I totally see CM Punk's value as a guy on the payroll.  He is a great promo and managed to rally the crowd behind him more than a few times.  But bell-to-bell I can't really point to anything he does really, really well which is pivotal to the WWE style.  When you look at the WWE roster, it breaks down to a style clash (in a good way) pretty much every match.  If Mark Henry turns it into a slow paced, power match he can beat anyone. If Rey Mysterio keeps the pace high, he can beat anyone (you know, when he had knees).  Even Chris Jericho who doesn't have that outstanding physical attribute turned into a signature move counter machine late in his career.  CM Punk doesn't do anything that well.  His martial arts are fucking terrible (oye that round kick).  He's not quick or strong really.  He is supposed to be smart but doesn't work 'smart' like a Bret Hart would do.  He's a independent worker who just has this stuff and the booking determines who is more awesome that day, not any logical progression of storytelling.  Like if he worked Chris Hero, what would be his game plan?  Would it matter or would they just do their stuff for a while?

Even Jake Roberts who people brought up as a less athletic guy than Punk, had that one knock out move in the DDT and would build matches around that.  Punk's GTS just looks flat out bad about 1/4 of the time and so he can't use it the same way Jake did the DDT.  Also he can't hit it on bigger guys.

Is it crazy to think that post-Royal Rumble the writers were scrambling to figure out how to get Bryan in a main event program for mania? A decision was made to go with HHH v. Bryan instead of HHH v. Punk? Maybe when the news was broken to Punk he realized that he wasn't going to get a wrestlemania program and walked.

The story is being painted as Punk walking opens up the main event for Bryan. It's just as likely Punk was demoted and he walked.

To Cobra Commander:

Not if he doesn't work that way.  William Regal works a style which realistically looks like it would be fucking awful to face.  He works joints and tendons and stuff in a  way that looks like it actually hurts.  CM Punk's stuff looks like garbage so I don't give a fig if he can put his fist through a brick wall in real life.  

Wrestlers being not athletic enough or not athletic at all is about the dumbest fucking thing to talk about in reference to professional wrestling. I hope and pray to Harley Race that He comes and finds each one of you fucks and breaks your knee caps with some rebar, praise be to Harley Race.

Amen.

• Like 13

Well, athleticism doesn't matter if you look like a dude that goes to bars to start fights and fuck people up for the fun of it. Harley Race fits that bill.

Also, fat guys are awesome if they know how to do cool fat man shit like splashes in the corner and powerslams that look amazing. They don't have to look or be athletic. 

I think CM Punk's moves look like shit, but not because he's unathletic. John Cena is awkward in a lot of ways, but he's awesome at wrestling. 

Well, this brings up the larger question of whether we're confusing Vince's fetish for bodybuilder physiques with "looking athletic".

I've always hated the "look athletic" thing any way.  How does someone look athletic?  Either you can perform athletic feats or you can't, what you look like is fairly irrelevant.  Does Warren Sapp look athletic?  He is 300+ lbs, he's not that tall, and is kind of built like a bowling ball, but I'd be willing to bet he is a better athlete than everyone on WWE's roster. 

CM Punk isn't that athletic, but he doesn't really need to be.  Everyone complaining about Punk and his lack of athletic ability is kind of missing the point.  His entire character is basically the kid in school who got picked last, but he is tough and willing to do whatever it takes to win.  It wouldn't make any sense if he looked like John Cena with his shirt off, because no one who looks like John Cena with his shirt off would call himself CM Punk.  With all the shit people are talking about him, he is still consistently puts on really good matches.  Do you guys think that Mick Foley's elbow should have looked like Randy Savage's elbow?  They are different people, with different characters, and different skill sets, their should be differences in how these different guys look, act, and wrestle.  Whether or not they look athletic is about as spurious of an argument as you can make on whether a guy named CM Punk is a good wrestler.

This reminds me of the retarded fucking argument about Punk not looking big enough to compete with Lesnar at Summerslam, then they tore it up at the PPV.

He drops a shitty elbow, but give me anything he does over Batista, old Rey, Del Rio, and boring fuckin' Randy Orton. Oh, and about 90% of the SuperCena bullshit.

• Like 4

Vince likes Punk. I also think Austin will talk to Punk as well. So the last thing I expect at this point is Punk totally walking away or not remaining on contract.

He's probably just pissed the Cubs were picked to finish dead last...again.