DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

To Cobra Commander:

Not if he doesn't work that way.  William Regal works a style which realistically looks like it would be fucking awful to face.  He works joints and tendons and stuff in a  way that looks like it actually hurts.  CM Punk's stuff looks like garbage so I don't give a fig if he can put his fist through a brick wall in real life.  

Wrestlers being not athletic enough or not athletic at all is about the dumbest fucking thing to talk about in reference to professional wrestling. I hope and pray to Harley Race that He comes and finds each one of you fucks and breaks your knee caps with some rebar, praise be to Harley Race.

Amen.

• Like 13

Well, athleticism doesn't matter if you look like a dude that goes to bars to start fights and fuck people up for the fun of it. Harley Race fits that bill.

Also, fat guys are awesome if they know how to do cool fat man shit like splashes in the corner and powerslams that look amazing. They don't have to look or be athletic. 

I think CM Punk's moves look like shit, but not because he's unathletic. John Cena is awkward in a lot of ways, but he's awesome at wrestling. 

Well, this brings up the larger question of whether we're confusing Vince's fetish for bodybuilder physiques with "looking athletic".

I've always hated the "look athletic" thing any way.  How does someone look athletic?  Either you can perform athletic feats or you can't, what you look like is fairly irrelevant.  Does Warren Sapp look athletic?  He is 300+ lbs, he's not that tall, and is kind of built like a bowling ball, but I'd be willing to bet he is a better athlete than everyone on WWE's roster. 

CM Punk isn't that athletic, but he doesn't really need to be.  Everyone complaining about Punk and his lack of athletic ability is kind of missing the point.  His entire character is basically the kid in school who got picked last, but he is tough and willing to do whatever it takes to win.  It wouldn't make any sense if he looked like John Cena with his shirt off, because no one who looks like John Cena with his shirt off would call himself CM Punk.  With all the shit people are talking about him, he is still consistently puts on really good matches.  Do you guys think that Mick Foley's elbow should have looked like Randy Savage's elbow?  They are different people, with different characters, and different skill sets, their should be differences in how these different guys look, act, and wrestle.  Whether or not they look athletic is about as spurious of an argument as you can make on whether a guy named CM Punk is a good wrestler.

This reminds me of the retarded fucking argument about Punk not looking big enough to compete with Lesnar at Summerslam, then they tore it up at the PPV.

He drops a shitty elbow, but give me anything he does over Batista, old Rey, Del Rio, and boring fuckin' Randy Orton. Oh, and about 90% of the SuperCena bullshit.

• Like 4

Vince likes Punk. I also think Austin will talk to Punk as well. So the last thing I expect at this point is Punk totally walking away or not remaining on contract.

He's probably just pissed the Cubs were picked to finish dead last...again.

Oh God, Punk's offense is fine. It doesn't look any worse than 90% of the roster. Most of the moves he does are stuff the kids in the WWE universe have never seen before, no matter how sloppy he executes them. 

Agree to disagree here.

I always thought that Punk should have a more submission-based offense. It's odd that he would use the GTS because it's so hard to hit on a ton of guys, and his strikes look awful as well. He's the last guy that should have a strike-based offense centered around elbows, knees, and kicks.

I do think that his in-ring work would be easier to buy for me if he were instead a counter-wrestler that worked limbs, baited wrestlers by playing dead or other psychological tricks that the announcers could point out (and that would fit with his character as he's a guy who clearly wants to be the cleverest guy ever in his promos). 

• Like 1

I wonder what the board reaction would have been like if Bryan had walked out instead of Punk?  I understand he is a little more universally liked than Punk, but I'd bet money on people still throwing around "he was never that good anyway."

This board has always been weird like that when it comes to wrestlers leaving the WWE.  Remember when Kurt left and everyone was all "he will be dead in 6 months!!!"? Weird.

• Like 2

Oh God, Punk's offense is fine. It doesn't look any worse than 90% of the roster. Most of the moves he does are stuff the kids in the WWE universe have never seen before, no matter how sloppy he executes them. 

Agree to disagree here.

I always thought that Punk should have a more submission-based offense. It's odd that he would use the GTS because it's so hard to hit on a ton of guys, and his strikes look awful as well. He's the last guy that should have a strike-based offense centered around elbows, knees, and kicks.

I do think that his in-ring work would be easier to buy for me if he were instead a counter-wrestler that worked limbs, baited wrestlers by playing dead or other psychological tricks that the announcers could point out (and that would fit with his character as he's a guy who clearly wants to be the cleverest guy ever in his promos). 

The points about the GTS are valid, but he needed a "wow!" finishing move and clearly, it pops the crowd and they've been able to market the move itself pretty well.

I do agree the psychology of his in-ring offense really makes no sense, but it doesn't really have to in the WWE.

I think his strikes and stuff are fine. Agree it doesn't really make sense for him to be a "striker", but the way he executes it, although sloppy at times, is fine with me. I mean, it looks awful sometimes, but fuck he's no Rob Van Dam out there throwing obvious ghost punches. 

Well, this brings up the larger question of whether we're confusing Vince's fetish for bodybuilder physiques with "looking athletic".

I've always hated the "look athletic" thing any way.  How does someone look athletic?  Either you can perform athletic feats or you can't, what you look like is fairly irrelevant.  Does Warren Sapp look athletic?  He is 300+ lbs, he's not that tall, and is kind of built like a bowling ball, but I'd be willing to bet he is a better athlete than everyone on WWE's roster. 

CM Punk isn't that athletic, but he doesn't really need to be.  Everyone complaining about Punk and his lack of athletic ability is kind of missing the point.  His entire character is basically the kid in school who got picked last, but he is tough and willing to do whatever it takes to win.  It wouldn't make any sense if he looked like John Cena with his shirt off, because no one who looks like John Cena with his shirt off would call himself CM Punk.  With all the shit people are talking about him, he is still consistently puts on really good matches.  Do you guys think that Mick Foley's elbow should have looked like Randy Savage's elbow?  They are different people, with different characters, and different skill sets, their should be differences in how these different guys look, act, and wrestle.  Whether or not they look athletic is about as spurious of an argument as you can make on whether a guy named CM Punk is a good wrestler.

I'm not saying that athletes cannot have different physiques.  There is a great photo array out there of professional athletes from different sports and how a professional shot putter looks different than a professional volleyball player.  Mark Henry is built the way he should be.  He works a power gimmick.  Mick Foley was built the way he should have been.  He worked a lunatic gimmick fell off tall stuff.  CM Punk works a 'best in the world' gimmick but doesn't look that way.  He doesn't execute offense well enough to pull that gimmick off.  He's Lance Storm working a technician gimmick when he just punches and throws drop kicks.

If you want to say he is this underdog character, I have yet to see him ever act like he was over matched going into a match with his attitude or promo work.  He is always, "I'm the best!"  He doesn't work underdog.  He works his offense in no matter the match up or context.