DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2014 WRESTLING DISCUSSION REBOOT THREAD

RIPPA

I know this board has been hot and cold (or should I say hot vs. cold) on Punk for a long time. For me, Punk was that guy who could work a great match (or at least an entertaining match) with damn near anyone on the roster. Was he going to get five stars outta Khali? No, but he'd find some way to make a passable match with the big lug. His "athleticism," however we're using that word here today, never bothered me. I grew up with guys like Jimmy Valiant, Harley Race, and Wrestling II who fit along side Flair, Steamboat, and Windham just fine. I saw some great matches with Punk and heard some great promos from him as well. Opinions vary, but I'd watch 3 hours of Punk vs. whoever before I'd sit through an hour of HHHSTEPHRANDYBATISTA.

What's your definition of "athletic thing"?

Something that showed how fast he can move, how high he could jump, anything that makes you think that he just did something the average person his size couldn't do.  I'm not saying anything about his ring work, just an athletic feat that you remember as impressive. 

Oh God, Punk's offense is fine. It doesn't look any worse than 90% of the roster. Most of the moves he does are stuff the kids in the WWE universe have never seen before, no matter how sloppy he executes them. 

Agree to disagree here.

I always thought that Punk should have a more submission-based offense. It's odd that he would use the GTS because it's so hard to hit on a ton of guys, and his strikes look awful as well. He's the last guy that should have a strike-based offense centered around elbows, knees, and kicks.

I do think that his in-ring work would be easier to buy for me if he were instead a counter-wrestler that worked limbs, baited wrestlers by playing dead or other psychological tricks that the announcers could point out (and that would fit with his character as he's a guy who clearly wants to be the cleverest guy ever in his promos). 

The points about the GTS are valid, but he needed a "wow!" finishing move and clearly, it pops the crowd and they've been able to market the move itself pretty well.

I do agree the psychology of his in-ring offense really makes no sense, but it doesn't really have to in the WWE.

I think his strikes and stuff are fine. Agree it doesn't really make sense for him to be a "striker", but the way he executes it, although sloppy at times, is fine with me. I mean, it looks awful sometimes, but fuck he's no Rob Van Dam out there throwing obvious ghost punches.

I think this is a fair counterpoint. Randy Orton, for example, has no real offensive strategy. He should build every match around hitting the RKO from wherever he can like DDP would do for the Diamond Cutter. Instead, he's doing awkward looking counters and moving at the same pace no matter what type of match he's supposed to be working - and this is the champ right now.

Orton has the fucking worst strategy. Considering that, like you said, his entire thing is hitting the shock RKO, he should really be trying to do that the entire match instead of messing around with fucking chinlocks and shit. He should literally start the match trying to RKO the guy as soon as they lock up.

So would you say he'd be alot more enjoyable if he never had the RKO or anything like that as a finisher

I'd like to see one of you fucks get the air on a dropkick that Orton does. I know we are supposed to treat most conversations with respect but this is completely idiotic. A top 3 star in WWE (whether you liked him or didn't) just quit.. and we're discussing the definition of athleticism.

• Like 7

Oh God, Punk's offense is fine. It doesn't look any worse than 90% of the roster. Most of the moves he does are stuff the kids in the WWE universe have never seen before, no matter how sloppy he executes them. 

Agree to disagree here.

I always thought that Punk should have a more submission-based offense. It's odd that he would use the GTS because it's so hard to hit on a ton of guys, and his strikes look awful as well. He's the last guy that should have a strike-based offense centered around elbows, knees, and kicks.

I do think that his in-ring work would be easier to buy for me if he were instead a counter-wrestler that worked limbs, baited wrestlers by playing dead or other psychological tricks that the announcers could point out (and that would fit with his character as he's a guy who clearly wants to be the cleverest guy ever in his promos). 

The points about the GTS are valid, but he needed a "wow!" finishing move and clearly, it pops the crowd and they've been able to market the move itself pretty well.

I do agree the psychology of his in-ring offense really makes no sense, but it doesn't really have to in the WWE.

I think his strikes and stuff are fine. Agree it doesn't really make sense for him to be a "striker", but the way he executes it, although sloppy at times, is fine with me. I mean, it looks awful sometimes, but fuck he's no Rob Van Dam out there throwing obvious ghost punches.

I think this is a fair counterpoint. Randy Orton, for example, has no real offensive strategy. He should build every match around hitting the RKO from wherever he can like DDP would do for the Diamond Cutter. Instead, he's doing awkward looking counters and moving at the same pace no matter what type of match he's supposed to be working - and this is the champ right now.

Orton has the fucking worst strategy. Considering that, like you said, his entire thing is hitting the shock RKO, he should really be trying to do that the entire match instead of messing around with fucking chinlocks and shit. He should literally start the match trying to RKO the guy as soon as they lock up.

So would you say he'd be alot more enjoyable if he never had the RKO or anything like that as a finisher

Oh no, his matches would still be boring.

Think back and try to remember the most athletic thing that that you've ever seen Randy Orton do? 

sd0520.jpg

That doesn't count. Obviously Mark Henry is reclining in contented peace after repo-ing Orton's air, which is why Randy's starting to idly float away. 

• Like 2

I know this board has been hot and cold (or should I say hot vs. cold) on Punk for a long time. For me, Punk was that guy who could work a great match (or at least an entertaining match) with damn near anyone on the roster. Was he going to get five stars outta Khali? No, but he'd find some way to make a passable match with the big lug. His "athleticism," however we're using that word here today, never bothered me. I grew up with guys like Jimmy Valiant, Harley Race, and Wrestling II who fit along side Flair, Steamboat, and Windham just fine. I saw some great matches with Punk and heard some great promos from him as well. Opinions vary, but I'd watch 3 hours of Punk vs. whoever before I'd sit through an hour of HHHSTEPHRANDYBATISTA.

I feel the same way about Punk, I feel like his biggest downside has been the Creative end he has been handed since MitB '11. I get excited at the start of some of those angles then they turn flat when WWE decide the want to go another direction or Push someone that doesnt belong with Punk.

2ldehcn.jpg

Jay: Up next, we've got a prospect out of Hazelwood Central High in St. Louis - Randy Orton. 

Now, here's the thing about Randy Orton - he's 6'5", but he's got the wingspan of a guy who's 6'8". And just look at this guy's vertical in action:

His father is former WWF great Cowboy Bob Orton, so Randy's got the pedigree to do great things, but he's also got a bit of a chip on his shoulder because of that. There are some red flags about him. He has had issues in the past with his shoulders, as well as a brief bout with IED - so there are definitely health concerns. There are also character issues, such as problems with authority, but the talent is there and that is why I still have him listed as the best available on my board. The guy's a pure athlete with a great motor. He just needs to be properly motivated.

• Like 2