DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

I didn't watch the doc, but was really into watching figure skating when this happened.  Harding was and still is a kook, but there was a honesty about her, however ugly that honesty was.  She felt like a deeply flawed, yet real person.  Kerrigan was clearly a contrived little snot who cried foul over a 16-year-old orphan beating her for the gold.  Kerrigan always had this holier-than-thou air about her.  It's why she was able to make quick cash after the attack, but no one cared a rat's tail about her after the Olympics.  Nothing about her is likeable.

Obviously, a big reason why Kerrigan was held in high regard was her looks--the dark silky hair, long limbs, designer skating dresses--they had her out to be this combination of Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn.  Harding, OTOH, had frizzy hair, dressed like a tomboy, and skated like a linebacker at times.  Nancy was the swan, Tonya was the ugly duckling.  The attack just made the comparisons worse.

• Like 1

20 years later and I still laughed at Nancy Kerrigan screaming "Why, Why, Why?". :)

Tonya's hatred towards Nancy Kerrigan was hilarious throughout the documentary. Not just during the recent interview, but even when she was getting ready to skate against her in the early 90s. Made it hard to believe she had no involvement in the attack.

I didn't watch the doc, but was really into watching figure skating when this happened.  Harding was and still is a kook, but there was a honesty about her, however ugly that honesty was.  She felt like a deeply flawed, yet real person.  Kerrigan was clearly a contrived little snot who cried foul over a 16-year-old orphan beating her for the gold.  Kerrigan always had this holier-than-thou air about her.  It's why she was able to make quick cash after the attack, but no one cared a rat's tail about her after the Olympics.  Nothing about her is likeable.

Obviously, a big reason why Kerrigan was held in high regard was her looks--the dark silky hair, long limbs, designer skating dresses--they had her out to be this combination of Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn.  Harding, OTOH, had frizzy hair, dressed like a tomboy, and skated like a linebacker at times.  Nancy was the swan, Tonya was the ugly duckling.  The attack just made the comparisons worse.

You really need to watch this documenary.  For the record, I'm going to have to say that Nancy Kerrigan getting somewhere with her looks is about as insane as Tonya Harding hiring a goon squad to kneecap her.  I know it happened, but somehow still don't believe it.

Who was better at their peak? This documentary seemed to put over this idea that Nancy was better but didn't Tonya beat her head-to-head a few times?

I remember the attack, and the olympics vaguely, and the doc was outstanding.  I think Harding might have had a medal if her 1991 was in 1992 for the olympics, just based on the doc. I came out of it both more understanding of Harding and still disgusted about her denials. She must have knew and probably planned it, but if if she wanted to come clean(and obviously doesn't want to) there might still be legal implications. Kerrigan is a crybaby though, and so is her coach. . . 

You really need to watch this documenary.  For the record, I'm going to have to say that Nancy Kerrigan getting somewhere with her looks is about as insane as Tonya Harding hiring a goon squad to kneecap her.  I know it happened, but somehow still don't believe it.

Nancy is cute enough, and I would love to find a girlfriend/wife with her looks, but yeah she's not a beauty queen.

Nancy is cute enough, and I would love to find a girlfriend/wife with her looks, but yeah she's not a beauty queen.

At their best(looks only, all that other stuff would make this too easy), would you take Tonya Harding or Nancy Kerrigan?  I'm probably taking Tonya, Kerrigan does absolutely nothing for me.  She looks like someone is trying to pull her face off like a mask.

Yeah - lets not discuss who you rather masturbate to and keep this about 30 for 30s

And like I said in the other thread - I don't want one on USC vs. Texas but Oklahoma vs. Boise State.

Yeah - lets not discuss who you rather masturbate to and keep this about 30 for 30s

And like I said in the other thread - I don't want one on USC vs. Texas but Oklahoma vs. Boise State.

You are insane, USC vs. Texas had one of the most talented teams of all time getting scorched by the single best individual performance in a championship game in NCAA history.  Not to mention all of the things that happened afterwards with Bush's Heisman, Young's descent into a laughingstock and LenDale White losing 40 lbs. from giving up tequila.  The game was super exciting, and I for one will remember watching it for much longer than Oklahoma vs. Boise State, which really was just one play and a marriage proposal.

You are insane, USC vs. Texas had one of the most talented teams of all time getting scorched by the single best individual performance in a championship game in NCAA history.  Not to mention all of the things that happened afterwards with Bush's Heisman, Young's descent into a laughingstock and LenDale White losing 40 lbs. from giving up tequila.  The game was super exciting, and I for one will remember watching it for much longer than Oklahoma vs. Boise State, which really was just one play and a marriage proposal.

On-field marriage proposal from game hero > Lendale White losing weight.

And I would take Michael Vick's one-man show against FSU as the greatest individual performance ever.  Young may have put up bigger numbers - and his team DID win - but Vick had waaaaaaay less help.  He was running for his life the entire game and still managed to nearly steal the title from a vastly superior opponent.

That said, I'd take a doc on either game.  The USC/Texas one certainly has a lot more off-field stories going for it.  Boise/OK has the marriage proposal and that's about it for non-football stuff.

• Like 1

That said, I'd take a doc on either game.  The USC/Texas one certainly has a lot more off-field stories going for it.  Boise/OK has the marriage proposal and that's about it for non-football stuff.

This is probably more what I should have said in that I would watch either - but I would prefer Boise/OK

But you don't need the "Where Are They Now" - there is so much back story to put in the first half. Game in the 2nd half. End with the marriage proposal and various announcers losing their mind.

I mean they could spend 30 minutes just on even then you saw how Adrian Peterson was not from this planet and he was taking OK kicking and screaming back into that game.

And I would take Michael Vick's one-man show against FSU as the greatest individual performance ever.  Young may have put up bigger numbers - and his team DID win - but Vick had waaaaaaay less help.  He was running for his life the entire game and still managed to nearly steal the title from a vastly superior opponent.

I disagree.  Reggie Bush and Lendale White are two of the best runningbacks in the history of USC (They combined for 7960 yards from scrimmage and 95 touchdowns).  Think about that, they shared carries and Reggie Bush is third all time in yards and Lendale White is first all time in touchdowns...for USC runningbacks.  Matt Leinart won the Heisman trophy the previous year and were basically considered the best offensive team in history.  Vince Young beat those guys, Mike Vick was playing against a team that's best player was Peter Warrick and lost. 

Who was better at their peak? This documentary seemed to put over this idea that Nancy was better but didn't Tonya beat her head-to-head a few times?

Both were inconsistent.  Kerrigan was fairly artistic, but could whiff on her jumps without notice.  Harding could jump out of the building, but wasn't seen as graceful.  What Harding needed more than anything was a good stylist.  Better makeup and more flattering dresses would have done wonders for her.

Thing is, had Harding just focused on staying in shape during 1993, we're not having this conversation today.  She wasn't far off from Olympic success in 1992 and just 9-12 months of quality training would have put her in perfect position for 1994.  It just didn't have to be this way, and it's too bad she thought it did.

• Like 1

I disagree.  Reggie Bush and Lendale White are two of the best runningbacks in the history of USC (They combined for 7960 yards from scrimmage and 95 touchdowns).  Think about that, they shared carries and Reggie Bush is third all time in yards and Lendale White is first all time in touchdowns...for USC runningbacks.  Matt Leinart won the Heisman trophy the previous year and were basically considered the best offensive team in history.  Vince Young beat those guys, Mike Vick was playing against a team that's best player was Peter Warrick and lost. 

For all their offensive prowess, USC wasn't much on defense.  The opposite was true with FSU - they were stacked on defense.  And, oh yeah, they had a guy who would win the Heisman 11 months later playing QB.

For all their offensive prowess, USC wasn't much on defense.  The opposite was true with FSU - they were stacked on defense.  And, oh yeah, they had a guy who would win the Heisman 11 months later playing QB.

The thing I remember from the FSU/VT game was that Mike Vick looked like someone from a different planet.  I would have bet all the money I had that he would end up being a hall of famer after that game, but that Vince Young performance is probably the best single game performance I've ever seen.  He was unbelievable in that game and outplayed one of the best offenses of all time mostly by himself.  As far as the 30 for 30s that have been discussed I'd rank them.

1. Texas over USC
  2. FSU over VT
  3. Boise State over Oklahoma

This all begs the question of why we haven't seen one yet covering Bucky F'n Dent and the '78 AL race or 1975 Game 6.  With the way ESPN bends over for the Red Sox and the Yankees, you'd think those two topics + 2003 or 2004 would have compromised like 15 of the first 30 for 30s.

one of the things to remember from what I've heard Simmons say about the 30 for 30 idea is A) There wanting lesser know stories or angles on stories that are different then the normal take, and B ) It's more about the stories the directors bring to them then them sitting down and going here x number of stories we want to do.

'Canes fans cover your eyes. Ohio St. vs. Miami would be a good one. One of the greatest college teams ever assembled... tons of NFL talent against tOSU and the troubled Maurice Clarett. Nobody gave the Buckeyes a chance and it ends in controversy. THAT knee injury too.

Youngstown Boys basically covers it.